Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Top Ten Of The Week-Once In A Blue Moon

Do you know that this month we have two full moon cycles?  One today and the next full moon cycle comes at New Year's Eve.  Let's hope we have a nice clear evening to see that.

Looks like the folks at J & K Trucking and myself have settled upon a agreed upon payment to get my Corsica Fixed.  Basically it's a 50 50 type of settlement and it's better than nothing.  So hopefully, the car will be fixed just in time for my girlfriend to arrive.

I don't care about Tiger Woods
Chuck Grassley is an old senile fuck that's out of tune with the people here and the lobbyist from insurance and drug companies in his back pocket.

Lee Ann Womack, the one who gave us I Hope You Dance tweeted me the other nite saying she liked my comment about Bruce Springsteen sounding like he need to take a dump during the RNRHOF concert on HBO sunday night.  "hit it on the head" she repiled.  Gotta love Lee Ann for chatting with us plain folk.   Thanks for writing Lee Ann, we hope you dance too.

And now this week's top ten playlist.  Only four more left to go kiddies.

1.  Keep Pushing-REO Speedwagon 1977  I had the CD and traded it in since I had the album but playing the album sunday night I noticed quite a few pops and clicks on the record and wondering WTF?  If I known the album sounded this bad, I would have kept the damn CD.  Anyway, Kevin Cronin returns on this album and this becomes the first step in world domination from the Speedwagon.  REO was a pretty good midwestern rock band till they went MOR ballads in 1980.  Sellouts indeed.

2.  It's Gonna Be-Norah Jones 2009  Not surprisingly, her new album didn't top the charts, she went with a more guitar driven and more moody sound than Not Too Late but I think I do like her new album The Fall a lot.  I kinda wished this record would do better but there's not much that resembles her big hit Don't Know Why, a song that I can really do without due to KDAT overkill.  The Fall just might make my top ten best albums of 2009.

3.  Cry Me A River-Joe Cocker 1970  From Mad Dogs & Englishman that mammoth live album and mammoth band that Leon Russell put together.  Finally got around hearing Mad Dogs this week and despite the slow and plodding Blue Medley, it's not a bad album.  Compared to Joe's Woodstock concert, this was ALL OUT, with Woodstock, the Grease Band was more stripped down and needed those female vocals.  Does it amaze you that Joe Cocker is still around 40 years later too?  It does to me.

4.  Picture Book-The Kinks 1968  KKRQ played a very rare Kinks track today.  Plastic Man!  Never heard it before on the radio mind you and it's rare to the point that I don't even have that on any of my cds.  KUNI played Picture Book, a new version from an album that Pairs Ray Davies up with a chorial.  Strange to hear a choir singing background on this song and I doubt if I'll buy that album but it did remind me to refer to the original version that can be found (and perferred) on The Kinks Are The Preservation Society CD.  Even still have it on vinyl,  God I'm a music pack rat.

5.  Ever Since The World Begin-Gary Myrick & The Figures 1980  With Wounded Bird reissing Gary Myrick's albums I have to pull out my vinyl copy to rediscover Mr. Myrick and found that his first album remains his best.  I know I played this album quite a bit during 1980 enuff to put most of those songs on a cassette on the old Crusing By The Moonlight show that I did.  Basically it was me and a cassette player crusing up and down old highway 151 in Cedar Rapids way back when.  Don't do that too often and the cassette player has been replaced by a Discman that still plays great after 9 years of everyday use.  It actually outlasted two CD players hooked up to my stereo.  Oh, to be young again and making the same mistakes that I used to do.

6.  The River-Octopus 1970  Another odd cd that was found at HP Books, this was a forgotten British band that made one album for Larry Page's Penny Farthling UK label although I don't think it was ever released in America and best known for a comic book drawing that the band didn't care much for.  Rev Ola reissued the CD with bonus tracks including a note for note live version of I Am The Walrus.  Two members of this band went on to join Split Enz just in time for their biggest hit I Got You (Malcom Green and Nigel Griggs).

7.  Black Day In July-Gordon Lightfoot 1968  Lightfoot made four albums for United Artists and this was a minor hit for him.  Basically a retelling of the Detroit Riots of 1967.

8.  Christmas For Cowboys-The Townedgers 2005  It's christmas time and I'm sure I'll add a song or two from the holiday season but I'll go with a local band that did a cover of the John Denver version that is more famous.  K Memory played the John Denver version today marking the first time that I heard a christmas song anywhere without changing the channel but I'm sure you'll hear Jingle Bell Rock and Rockin Around The Christmas Tree about 150 times before Christmas.  But not the TEs, they're exclusive here.

9.  Napoleon Bona-Part One And Two-Budgie 1975  Forgotten three piece power rock band that made a bunch of albums for MCA and A&M but they also had a deadpan sense of humor too.  One of a few albums that I found on the illfated Ames/Des Moines trip.  Thank God the Ankeny Goodwill had some decent music albums.

10.  Burn Down The Mission-Elton John 1971  For all purposes I still can't get into Tumbleweek Connection but this remains my favorite song off that album and it was also on Your Songs, that 1986 MCA compliation that was tailor made for the CD age but since I have upgrades of his classic albums, I didn't see the need for Your Songs and donated mine to the Salvation Army in a attempt to give back in what I found for bargains up there.  If you are thinking that there seems to be a lot of Elton John songs in the top ten of the week the past month, you're right, I've been listening to lots of EJ. And that's of a forthcoming blog about his past music works and I am trying to at least listen and grade accoudingly.  He may be a diva, but EJ did provide us some of the greatest music of the 70s, most of it overplayed to death but the lesser knowns still have a redeeming quality and charm.  Let's hope that they don't get ran into the ground like Rocket Man or Bennie And The Jets or Crock Rock.