Tuesday, October 27, 2009

When The Love Is Gone

They were so much in love everytime I've seen them at the store. Or when I went to the company Christmas Party, they'd be on the dance floor, slow dancing kissing each other and making us pretty much uncomfortable. They got married about five years ago.

He was down when I came to work. I've seen that look before, it's never pretty. I asked him what's the long face and with a blank expression he said.

"she's gone".

Appently in the dead of night, she decided to run off into the night, down to arizona. She left her things behind, she joined some kind of cult down there.

I felt sorry for my co worker. You can't find the words to say, the words to comfort. You remember the times they were inseperate, how they couldn't wait to get back home. And then in the still of the night, she moves on, a one line note saying Goodbye I'm leaving, never saying why. That's cold.

Nothing colder than ice is after the fire is gone. That was a country hit years ago. When your in love, it's a feeling of euphoria, when you fall out of love, it's a long way down without a parachute and you hit the ground hard. Been there done that. Being with somebody that has been seeing somebody else for a few months and never found the right time to say that. And then your dividing up the things you bought together and trying to get your name off a loan. But never had anybody leaving me in the dead of night to go join up a cult promising a better life. Better life of what?

I told my co worker that there's nothing that i can say or do to ease the hurt but i was willing to listen to whatever is on his mind. He smiled and said "thanks" and then after the 3 o clock horn, he stumbled out of work with a look of indifference, bewilderment and a long lost look. The living dead. He's missing her bigtime.

Sometimes life is that way.

And then they come back.  She came back to him a year after this blog was written and they're still together.

A happy end.