Monday, October 5, 2009

St Louis Bargain Hunt 2009

The St Louis bargain hunt is now in the books, it has come and gone like the leaves blowing in the wind.  Nicole aka Sassy blog her own version of the trip, she was taking down notes on the way out to the airport, so anyway here is my take on the trip.

Tuesday arrived in Granite City to spend three hours on the Chain Of Rocks bridge and then returned to watch the sunset and the harvest moon rise up.  Found a couple albums at the GC Salvation Army store, Astrid Gilberto's Fly Me To The Moon and Black and White's 1983 Geffen album.   The service was slow at Hardee's but they gave me a couple of cookies to go with the 2 hot ham and cheese that I got.

Wedensday spent down at University City and hung around at Vintage Vinyl and down to Euclid Records and FYE on Hampton.  Had some yummy chicken n noodles at Noodles and Company in Delmar Blvd.  And then went to the airport to pick up SassyPassey and sat down and talk of old times.  First time I have seen her since the 2000 Mingles party.

Thursday, went into a fucking Monsoon storm back to the Record Exchange to which Sassey bought more cds than I did.  I wouldn't picked anything up but managed to find the first OKane's CD.  For the first time, I went up into the fabled Arch along with her and took pictures and marveled at the way the new Busch Stadium looked from the top.  I didn't think much of the security that stripped searched us but had to marveled that I finally got a chance to go up in the arch.  Takes about four minites to get up there and down.  Thankfully my causterphobia didn't act up.  Then we walked about four blocks down to the Hard Rock Cafe, when we could have taken the Metro and got there sooner.  But we did return to the car via the Metro.

Friday, back to the Chain Of Rocks Bridge and it was windy as hell, cloudy and cool.  We got fucked out of the weather with it being so cloudy and windy. Then went and got some mexican food in University City again.  And another return to Vintange Vinyl to which I did buy more CDs than her.

Saturday, we took a drive around St louis and got to see the arch at night lighting up the skies and we drove across the Eads Bridge twice.  And on Sunday, took her back to the airport and I made one more trip to the St Louis Galleria, a fancy mall that had a FYE and then it was back home except for a two hour stop off at Hannibal to take some pictures and then got home real late.

Cheapest gas was in St Louis at the Quik Trip at 2.06 a gallon.
I didn't eat any pizza down there, seems like it was mexican or Jack In The Box since it was the only close eatery to the hotel.

KSHE 94.7 remains the best radio station down there, they blew my mind with some Journey from the first album, this is before Steve Perry people.  Also the public radio station played some vintage Ray Price and Willie Nelson and even reagge to which blew Sassy's mind.

I was a week too early for The Bottle Rockets show at Blueberry Hill but we did stumbled across Slotom's, a hole in the wall dive that the Bottle Rockets sang and you can see on their 24 Hours A Day album.

Anyway, I spent too much on CDs, went to one too many but that's the fun of the St Louis Bargain Hunts.  And I did find some cool deals in selected stores, most notably the Okane's and Budgie's first album.  Think I'll be all right, till new release Tuesday.

And it's back to Best Buy again.