Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Top Ten Of The Week-Leftovers

One of the things about St Louis that made things stand out was meeting Nicole aka Sassy and watching her buy more cds at two of the three cd stores we went to.  Since security searched us at the Arch I figured may as well go up to the top of that and check out the sights.  Good view of Busch Stadium but barely could see The Chain Of Rocks Bridge from there but I knew where it was at.

Outside of the monsoon, nothing out of the ordinary stood out.  And I had my first choclate shake from Ben And Jerry's, that ice cream store in University District.  It was addicting.

On the Twitter side of things, I finally gave up following Courtney Love's incoherent blabbing about nothing and added Blake Shelton instead.  He's much more funnier than Courtney.  Courtney's tweets are lots like a novel that goes nowhere.  Sure hope she gets over her hatred of Mandy Moore, Jim Barber, Irving Azhoff and Ryan Adams had nothing to do with this Ms Love.

Peter Criss has revealed that he had breast cancer and had it taken care of.  Contrary to rumour guys can get breast cancer too.  I wonder if there will be some snide comments from Mr. Tongue or Starboy on that.  If they do, I'll lose all respect for them.  Mr Tongue better hope he don't get cancer of his family jewels...

There's a big fucking mess we call the Marion beautifacation project and appently the smug seven fucks who supposed to be representing the people have decided that they going to clean up the brownlands (the former APCO, Marion Iron,Coast to Coast properties).  Nothing like Jack Larson trying to decide what's right for you never mind the fact that the fucking sewer systems suck and fail half the time Marion gets a half foot of rain or when Indian Creek pays you a visit.  Other bright ideas include a fucking roundabout (i hate this contraption) that will make a traffic jam much longer than before and moving the busy 7th Avenue down a block to 6th Avenue.  I like to know how the fuck they're going to pull that one off.  Seems like Jack larson and that idiot mayor are looking out for their best interests only.  Either you with them or not.  A Joke upon itself.

And after having a very dry september, we're back in another wet fucking month again. 7 Days into October and already 2 and half inches of rain.  And more coming tomorrow, lucky us.  Pour some more water on this drowning man.


The Top Ten Of The Week (any typos or errors feel free to add them to the comments)

1.  Beginning Of The End-Status Quo 2009  Actually this came out a couple years earlier but it's finally seeing the light of day on this side of the pond via Eagle Rock Music.  The Quo has been around for 40 plus years and never became more than cult artists in the US but in the UK and Europe they are considered rock gods.  In Search Of The Fourth Chord is a better album than 2005's The Party Ain't Started Yet but their old label Sanctuary never saw fit to issue it in the US.  The Quo remain the ultimate boogie kings but then again don't look for them to be played on your radio station anytime soon.  It takes away playing time from Go Your Own Way by Fleetwood Mac (and i do like that song but something's wrong when you hear a 32 year old song on three radio stations at the same time today.

2.  Cold Gin-KISS 1974  No I don't have the new KISS album Sonic Boom in my collection yet, Wally World didn't have any copies as I went to press today and so far the reviews of that new album is that it's their best record since side 4 of KISS Alive 2. Guess Paul Stanley knows how to produce a better rock record than Gene $immon$ but geezus Paul get off Ace and Peter's ass.  Everytime I turn around your bad mouthing on them again.  Just take your millions and shut the fuck up.

3.  Real Fine Love-John Hiatt 1990  I didn't play a whole lot of CDs for Nicole in our venture around St Louis, we settled to listen to KSHE 94.7 most of the time and perhaps that was a mistake on my part but we did managed to hit some fine honky tonk and reaggae on a left of the dial station.  But I did play some John Hiatt as a introduction to what I listen to and she seemed to like it some.  If I get sappy smack me but I think this song is how I feel about her and what has things become.  And if you think I'm getting sappy folks, you know where the door is at.

4.  Hypnotized-Fleetwood Mac 1973  I'm sick of hearing Go Your Own Way which has wore out its welcome this weekend.  Again the fact is that had we known that radio would be still playing the same songs of long ago, my 45 collection would be much less. However classic rock radio does play this Bob Welch number and it may have been the best song Welch wrote for the Mac.  I tend to favor the lesser heard rather than the overplayed to which my top tens of the week try to point out.  Heard on KSHE right before we got to Sonic, just in time to hear Bye Bye Bye by some boy band of the late 90s.

5.  Paingiver-Full Fathom Five 1988  This band came from Iowa City and make a hell of a classic alt rock album called 4AM on Link Records and FFF was IC's answer to Husker Du in terms of buzzing guitar and intense bass and drums.  4AM supposely came out on CD although I do have the vinyl album.  This track appeared on the Link Record compliaton All The Young Dudes.

6.  Crash Course In Brain Surgery-Budgie 1971 Originally a single on Kapp Records (!) and later covered by Metallica on their Garage Days Re Revisited EP.  Budgie was a power metal trio with Burke Shelley beating Geddy Lee in terms of that high falsetto vocals that could curdle milk.  Meaning that Shelley was on the music scene two years before Geddy.

7.  That's The Way The World Goes Around-Miranda Lambert 2009  She's back with a new album and with the same 'don't fuck with me' attitude that makes her a joy to listen to.  This is a hard rock cover of a John Prine song and I betcha the pussies at KHAK won't play this.  But I will.

8.  Lucky Number-Lene Lovich 1979  Another album that came acrossed by accident at Vintage Vinyl in St Louis, this is actually on the Stiff/Epic label and not Rhino.  I always got a kick out of her Doot Doot Doot chorus.  One of the real early music videos that I remember the Midnight Special or Don Kirshner's Rock Concert played.  Before MTV.

9.  (whatever happened to the) Great American Bubble Factory?-Drivin n Cryin 2009 Plenty of new music to talk about, last time Kevn Kenney and company made an album was about 12 years ago and now they are back and louder than ever.  I still believe in the bands that I grew up listening to and follow and DnC are no exception.  Just don't bore me to death.

10.  Black Gives Way To Blue-Alice In Chains 2009  And finally, say what you will about AIC and how it pales compared to the long departed Layne Staley who couldn't get over his demons and drug habit.  But Jerry Cantrell really shaped more of the songs and the vocals more than what he's credited for.  I could only take so much of Layne's screaming which is why I don't bother with Facelift or their S/T album.  William Duvall is a good sub and has more soul in his vocals than Layne's dread.  In essenence, Cantrell wrote most of the songs and although this would replace Dirt as the all time classic AIC it does hold it's own and in some ways is better than Facelift but then again that's my opinion and don't get your panties in a wad if you disagree.  Side note: piano is played by the one and only Elton John.  Take that anyway you want to.

Coming Friday night at 1st Street Live-Roger Clyne And The Arizona Peacemakers.  I have the night off, perhaps I'll go check them out.  But I won't be in the mood to party too much since I'm off to get my prostate checked on. 

Kudos to Jimmy Zack's Pizza for their buffet customed to my liking.  In marion i have two pizza joints I enjoy the most, Jimmy Zack's and Naso's.  October is national pizza month so I'll be doing my share to promote eating pizza.