Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Top Ten Of The Week: etc etc etc etc

Here at Crabb's Top Ten of The Week Incorporated, we try to give you 10 songs of varying decades.  We leave no stone unturned, leave no pawnshop without picking it over or going to the thrift stores and feel bad that we can't buy that album since it didn't survive mold, mildew and overplayed grooves and scratches big as cracks in the road.

Again another week of songs all over the place and knows no genre.  Let's see what was in the player that might be of interest.


1.  Night Shift-Foghat 1976  B side to Drivin Wheel and the album that got me through my sophmore year in high school.  Their boogie I haven't listen to much of the past decade but I do pull Night Shift, the album out from time to time. 

2.  Do You Wonder-Joe Perry 2009  New Joe Perry and this song features a Steven Tyler soundalike named Hagen which to me thinks this would be a big hit if Aerosmith did cover it.  At least it's better than I Don't Want To Miss A Thing.

3.  Wargasm-L7 1992  Gurl rock from the early 90s, can't understand why Jerry Scott at Relics thought I wouldn't like this CD till I found a new copy in the cheap bins at Stuff Etc. L7 was a all female hard rock band that had a hit with Pretend We're Dead and later the bass player from Belly would join up but by then L7 became yet another footnote in the lost decade of the 90s.

4.  Little Liar-Miranda Lambert 2009  Third week in a row I included a song off her new album Revolution and this is the new single from that album.  The way I talk about it, you might think this is album of the year.  Too early to tell but I wouldn't bet against it not bein on the best of the year.

5.  Beautiful People-Bobby Vee 1967  Going to the Quad Cities, the Mister Money in Moline had CDs for 50 cents and I bought about four bucks worth.  Somebody got rid of their Ventures collection and a couple Bobby Vee CDs that I picked up for gas money should I didn't like them.  This song finally ends a debate of a song that I originally thought that The Buckinghams did.  Got this confused with Don't You Care.  Bobby Vee was one of those big teen idols of the early 60s and he was a Buddy Holly soundalike but Liberty Records stuck him with a lotta bubblegum tunes but later on, Vee went into a folk vibe for a couple albums before going back into Bubblegum although I think he was a step up from, say Fabian or Frankie Avalon.  Or Justin Timberlake.

6.  You Are So Beautiful-Ray Stevens 1976  Ray Stevens may have had the strangest and most dated career of my 45 years of buying music.  But his novelty songs haven't exactly aged and I quit caring after his I Need Your Help Barry Manilow.  Used to like Along Came Jones till I heard it earlier this year and couldn't believe how out of whack it really was.  Stevens was worse being serious (Mr Businessman, another song l like back in 68, and heard it at McDonalds and that was enough) but he did strike a chord with me with this bluegrass remake of the Billy Preston song that Joe Cocker took to number one. 

7.  Sweets For My Sweet-The Searchers 1963  Another 50 cent CD found at Mister Money was The Complete Collection by The Searchers on Castle, back when Castle UK would put out these cheap compliations of UK bands and I don't hear this song all that much anyway.  One of two singles that Mercury put out in 1963 through arrangement with UK Pye.  Rhino had a best of out on cd back in the 90s but dammed if i can find a copy.  So this will do.

8.  Jane Says-Jane's Addiction 1988  And the world was introduced to Perry Farrell.  For better or worse.

9.  Man Named Truth-Monsters Of Folk 2009  Indee super band of Connor Obest, Jim James (under an alias), M.Ward and Mike Mogis.  I think I like this better than the new Arvett Brothers album that came out on American and was overrecorded and stuck in a digipak.  The new Monsters Of folk is pretty good, i might listen to it a few more times before the year is out.

10.  Caravan-The Ventures 1963  And finally a instruemtal from the Bobby Vee Meets The Ventures album with two instrumentals by the beloved Ventures.  Duke Ellingtion never rocked this hard before.


COMMENTS:
From Diggy Kat: wow i haven't heard about Ray Stevens in forever!!! my fave song by him was from the 80s, gosh um... haha hang on let me think here lol "Sitting Up With The Dead" i think!