Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Top Ten Of The Week-LOST & The Age Of Ignorance

You can tell when summer comes around, the gas prices is now 2.09 a gallon.  Of course the reason is the report that gas suppiles are down.  Yeh and where the fuck is all this surplus of oil that was floating on 100,000 tankers in the ocean at?  Was this made up?  So much oil they couldn't store it on land so they store it on sea.  It all disappeared I guess.

The the folks at L.O.S.T who promoted this one cent option tax after we defeated it back in February can celebrate now that the Tax was passed Tuesday, which means every place in Linn County, you'll have to pay another penny to the dollar.  Stupidity runs supreme around here it seems, you tell them no option tax, they bring it to the ballot every other month till they get it passed.  Fucking CR passed it and they got their property taxes raised just the same.  Bullshit wins out in the end, you got what you wanted L.O.S.T, now shove it up your ass sideways and quit bothering me with your lies.  11 months after the big flood, nothing is still done, get it together before we torch this town.




Top Ten Of The Week.


1.  Aggravation-The Kinks 1989  They were finished by the time they recorded UK Jive and this was their final effort for MCA and Ray Davies was halfassed on most of this recording but it starts out fine with this track which pretty much sums up things in my life.  We're all option taxed out anyway.

2.  World Wide Suicide-Pearl Jam 2006 They outlasted all of their Seattle cronies but you know I really never paid much attention to their albums after Vitalogy due to their crappy digipaks but I did buy their 2006 one off for Clive Davis and it starts out great and then the wheels fall apart after track six.  Pearl Jam is redoing their back catalog but I don't see the need to rebuy everything again.  Just make a decent new album that's all I ask.

3.  Working Class Hero-Marianne Faithful 1979  Yeah, the band I'm helping out is learning this song but they're doing the Green Day version.  I'd do this version myself but I can't sing so nevermind.  And don't mind my territorial bitchings, it's that time of month for me. Don't like it, take two pills of blowme and push off.  Next.

4.  Celebration Florida-Chumbawamba 2000  They made their money and 5 minites of fame with Tubthumper, but their high moment was the followup WYSIWYG which was a concept album about America and their ignorance and the forthcoming of Carrie Underwood or Lindsay Lohan. Celebs and manufactured singers that like their ass kissed.  This album remains of the best of Y2K and I still like it fine 9 years later.  Chumbawamba saw the future and wrote about it and it all came true.  Much to my disgust.

5.  Beyond The Sun-The Townedgers 2008  Dedicated to Sassy who knows better and more than you.

6.  Reverend Wrinkle-Black Stone Cherry 2008  Face it, new rock sucks.  I can't tell a Theory from a Nickelback but BSC remains one of the few bright spots in rock and roll today. They owe more to the hard rock of the 70s rather than whatever passes for modern rock and they got bloodlines from The Kentucky Headhunters with a lead singer that is more Chris Cornell sounding than Chris himself.  Bob Marlette made them more radio ready than Kevin Shirley did and although I like the debut more than their latest, I find myself listening to Forklore and Superstition and liking it more than I originally did.  Here's hoping that Roadrunner doesn't fuck with them and turn them into Nickelback 2.  Of course not, Black Stone Cherry is harder rocking.  Thank God for that.

7. Shining Light-Neil Young 2007 Goodness five songs from this decade.  Hard to figure eh?  Neil has been churning them out this decade but most haven't stick very well on the ears till Chrome Dreams 2 which gave us a 18 minute Ordinary People to which I enjoy and the track that proceeds it which is this one.  Not as a throwaway as they would like you to believe.

8. I Am The One You Warned Me Of-Blue Oyster Cult 1988  Hooray for American Beat Records for reissuing Imaginos but damn them for omitting the original liner notes to set the story of Imaginos.  Good fucking grief no wonder people quit buying cds. Should have kept my old Columbia CD, but thankfully I have the vinyl Columbia album to read the original liner notes.  CD reissue companies.  What are you going to do with them.

9.  The Breakup Song (they don't make them like that anymore)-Greg Kihn Band 1980  Greg didn't offer much for albums they were kinda blah but once in a while he would score up a catchy 45 such as this song.  Brings back some wonderful memories at Skate Country when I was rollerskating on bargain night Wed.  Back when I used to roller skate. Back when I was younger.  And more attractive.

10. It's Too Late-Foghat 1973  I missed the American Idol rock and roll show last night and I heard somebody covered Slow Ride to which I'm sure Lonesome Dave is turning over in his grave.  Their 2nd album (the rock/roll album) remains probaly my favorite Foghat album with good boogie music and good ballads such as this.  It's too late to change your mind/we can't turn back the hands of time.  A good summary of life itself and how we got here but can't go back ever again.  I long for the old days.

"Do you know what really burns me up?  Flame that high"  Dom Deluise RIP