Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Top Ten Of The Week-Crabb Radio

Hopefully I didn't scare everybody off with the last top ten and tirades.  This usually is the most intense time of year with the manatory texas weekend coming up and the shitty weather and the shitty storms but thankfully the shitty storms hasn't been as bad as last years historic ones.  

This was supposed to be my year of things getting better.  The year that things would improve. So far it hasn't.  Old Purple, the trusty Corsica of the past ten years, one of the areas has rusted out to the point that the shock absorber broke and slashed my tired in the process. And I ripped my pants as well.  Happy Mothers Day.  So tell me when things are going to get better?

Looking at the ratings here in Crabbland, it's not going to be in here it seems.

Top forty radio is my version of Waterboarding.  Fucking Z102 played the same rap song three times in a hour span and I'm bout ready to throw the damn radio across the workplace.  I don't need to hear the radio at work, and I certainly don't need to hear fucking Mr Mister's 1985 crapfest Broken Wings anymore  in this life time thank you very much.  No wonder people don't listen to the radio or at work feel like they're being held hostage with shitty music.  You think The FOX could play any Black Sabbath besides Paranoid or Iron Man?  You think for once KDAT or MIX 96 could look beyond Broken Wings or Kelly Clarkston or Taylor Swift?   You think KHAcK can play something other than Carrie (i wanna be the white whitney houston) Underwood or Lonestar?  The worst stations are KZIA and KHAK in that order and KDAT, Rock 108 and Mix 96 in that order.  Even the wonderous Beaker Street on the net is annoying me by Evanescence.  I'm sure there's other great song closers besides Anywhere.  Perhaps later in the year I'll put together the best of this decade but I'm sure it's a short list and whoever I put up, you probabaly don't know anything about.  Repetition sucks.  And everytime when The FOX plays something by Skynyrd besides Sweet Home Alabama I want to call them up and said they messed up. 

Thank God I don't mess up in my choice of tunes.

1.  Never Bad-The Beacon Hillbillies 1996  I'm sure THE FOX or Mix 96.5 or KHAK would never dare putting a bluegrass number starting out the top ten but I do things differently.  Jimmy Ryan was part of the famed Blood Oranges and made three albums with this bluegrass offshoot to which you can find copies on the net for 3 bucks (including shipping and handling).  I know we shouldn't be remembering this song but it's catchy and it's fun to sing along with.

2.  Brainstorm-Hawkwind 1972  There should be a law probhibiting jam bands to do 20 minites songs using the same three chords over and over again but that's the fun of Hawkwind.  They were space rock before the term and on this track featuring somebody named Ian Kilmeister on bass who would be later kicked out of the band to form a little rock and roll band called Motorhead.  Thank God for imports, the EMI reissue of Doremi Fasol Latido has better sound and more bonus tracks than the One Way issue that is now out of print.  I'm still waiting for the copy of In Search Of Space to get here since Collector's Choice Music was out of stock.

3.  Looking Out For Number One-UFO 1978  Did you read the article about Phil Mogg making a dig at Status Quo for being around music for 40 years?  And that Mogg wasn't going to do a 40th anniversity of UFO.  Could it be that he doesn't get along with Mike Schneiker?  Or that Phil Mogg simply can't sing anymore.  I'm guessing the latter judging by the last three UFO albums sounded.  Even though Andy Parker remains the UFO drummer, Jason Bonham played better drums on You Are Here than Parker did on The Monkey Puzzle.  Hell, last decent album UFO had out was Sharks, but that was when Mr. Schneiker was playing guitar and even then Phil Mogg couldn't sing very well either.  Will I review the next UFO?  Nope.  Good to see Phil keeping the UFO group going although their expiration date has long since passed.

4.  Dazed And Confused-Led Zeppelin 1969  What does it mean when KRNA continues to play a forty year old song that sounds more up to date than half the crap real rock bands that they play on that station?  Originality I gather although I have yet to hear the original version done by Jake Holmes.  But then again Jake Holmes blew his wad when he co wrote The Genuine Imitation Gazette with the 4 Seasons.  Led Zeppelin remains the big band that I followed in my grade school years but I don't add many LZ songs since they're overplayed on the radio and somewhere along the great world there's a Get The Led Out block going on right now.

5.  Death Cab For Cutie-Bonzo Dog Band 1967  Funny how one of well known alt bands on a major label took their name from a Bonzo Dog song years ago.  Of course I don't think Death Cab For Cutie (the band that is) is as radical as the Bonzos were but nobody was back then.  The Bonzos were the forefathers of the British humor that would span Monty Python and were years ahead of their time.  Don't look for THE FOX to play anything from the Bonzos.  It's not The FOX's idea of overkill.

6.  Time To Shine-Paul Rodgers + Queen 2008  On a related note, Paul Rodgers has said that his time with Queen has come to an end and that there won't be anymore new Queen albums forthcoming, unless it's some concert with the old standbys in the can that will be reissued.  Perhaps it's better that way.  Rodgers' blues stylings never did fit with the radical rock of Brian May and company.  Plus you can't replace Freddie Mercury anyway.

7.  Another Fine Day-Golden Smog 2006  One of those albums that came out that nobody noticed but I play once in a while.  I'm beginning to have more respect in Gary Louris' projects since I met Gary and think he's one of the more down to earth musicians that I have ever met.

8.  Let Her Dance-Bobby Fuller Four 1965  Next to Buddy Holly, one of the most talented rockers whose death prevented him from being one of the legends of rock music.  I consider him a legend myself.  One of very few songs that I could play over and over and not get sick of hearing it.

9.  Without Love-Tilted Windows 2009  That super powerpop group that you have heard and actually makes a pretty good album even with Taylor Hanson doing vocals.  Yup the same Hanson that gave the world MMMBOP he's grown up to sound a bit like Shaun Cassidy and Rick Springfield.  It shouldn't have worked on this album but it does.

10.  Reached Out-Stone 1988  And finally this is Spinal Tap metal from Finland.  They made a hilarious funny S/T album (or tongue in cheek) that smacked the hair spray out of the hair pop metal bands of that era.  Too bad the world didn't get to hear this.  It was so under the radar that it didn't get those PA stickers for F bombs.  Metallica wasn't never this funny but Anthrax came close.   To quote them, "this is our music and if you don't like our music....pick up your boots and fuck off and die (repeat four times). 

That's classic rock!