Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Top Ten:Solid Gold Punk

I guess I have been ranting and raving for so long that I can't believe we are at the end of July.  And I'm still trying to get over the freaking poison ivy that I gotten up in Mad City last weekend.  Anyway, take a look at the songs of the week.

1.  Irish-Mighty Joe Plum 1997  Long forgotten band from the 90s that had a hit with Live Through This (13 Stories) and made the usual one album before disappearing off the map.  This is the leadoff track off The Happiest Dogs and would have made a nice followup had Atlantic decided to promote it.  But then again, reviews of this album weren't all that great.  Worth a dollar if you find it used.

2.  Jealous Again-The Black Crowes 1990  I brung this up due to a report that the BC management team are suing Gretchen Wilson  on the premise that her new song sounds lots like this song.  Does this mean that The Faces can sue them for ripping them off? The Stones?  Or can we sue The Black Crowes for making a crappy album this year?  I don't think Gretchen Wilson wrote the song herself but perhaps Big And Rich or The Nashville Hitmen.  Maybe I will take a gander of the new Gretchen Wilson album when it comes availble for my take on it.  Next.

3.  When The Whip Comes Down-The Rolling Stones 1978  Speaking of Stones....Does it excite anybody to hear that The Stones are taking their masters from EMI to Universal for five years?  This means that The Stones have been on all of the major labels, unless Sony breaks up with BMG Music, then the Stones won't have that honor.  They'll have to wait till BMG breaks away then I'm sure they'll complete the major label tour.  I can't stand Miss You, so I usually fast forward to the next song.

4.  For You-The Outfield 1990  Basically everybody thinks of these guys as making five albums of the same four chords and songs about love but I think some of their songs have a hook that can make you sing along.  From Diamond Days.

5.  C-I-T-Y-John Cafferty/Beaver Brown Band 1985  The fixtation of The Hold Steady being saviours of Springsteenish rock n roll made me go back to this band which got slammed for being too Springsteenish.  Which isn't fair to John and the Beaver Brownies.  The Iron City Houserockers were in the same boat although they were from Pittsburgh and Bruce himself helped them out from time to time.   These guys will be forever known at the Eddie And The Cruisers band who made the soundtrack to the movie their claim to fame.  This album Tough All Over was credited to John and company and it bombed big time.  Later copies of this album reversed over to Eddie And The Crusiers.  And still didn't sell.

6.  Gotta Get Away-The Offspring 1994  Time has a way of getting away from us and I'm sure being on the internet 24/7 may have something to do with that.  Hard to fathom this song came out in the mid 90s.  The kids of 18 back then are now 32 and probaly having their own familes and don't punk rock too often anymore.  And if they are, you'd probaly would stay the hell away from them.

7.  Just A Gigolo/I Ain't Got Nobody-Louis Prima 1956  I actually never heard much from Louis himself but you all know the version that David Lee Roth put out is note for note with the original.  Found a copy of Louis' The Wildest for a dollar in Madison and have to say Louis was definly too jazz for pop, too pop for jazz and simply too off the wall for rock and roll.  Perhaps he was the first true alternative musician.

8.  Cobwebs And Strange-The Who 1966   Keith Moon.  Best rock drummer ever.

9.  You Talk Too Much-George Thorogood 1987  From the vinyl album Born To Be Bad.  I remember the folks at DeSoda's used to play I Really Like Girls every night when I hung up there and the waitresses would jump on the table and gyrate to the song.  Not much room on the table to do otherwise.  Desoda's, a nice little meet market just like Bulicek's used to be.  Both places now a distant memory.

10.  Walk On Out Of My Mind-Waylon Jennings 1967  Not the outlaw yet, but he's getting there.  But I'm sure Diggy will tell you, that Waylon is the one and only outlaw that matters.  In fact I'm betting on that he will tell you.