Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Top Ten: Rock And Roll Has Beens

Yup, this is kinda early but I'm jumping in my car and going out of town.  I don't know where, just need to get the hell out of Hell for a while.

Top Ten Songs.

1.  Sequestered In Memphis-The Hold Steady 2008  These guys can do no wrong. Critics love their albums cuz it has that Springsteen vibe.  But so did Mariah but nobody ever bought their albums except for Kids In Philly.  I did also have their previous album to which got released on Black Dog Records.  Let's Go Out And Go Get Drunk or something to that title.  Anyway how did I managed to start talking about Mariah and not The Hold Steady clearly shows that either my memory isn't too well or I'm borderline demetria.  The Hold Steady does rock a bit harder than Mariah.  But then again I don't play much Hold Steady although I do love the artwork for their new album Stay Positive.  Anything with Drive Ins for pictures always gets high praises from me.
Geezus, I'm sick of these damn earwigs.  Never see these bastards anywhere but here.  Back to the top ten.

2.  Cemeteries Of London-Coldplay 2008 Everybody's favorite band.  Except Jon Pareles although I'm sure he's disheartened to learn that even Pitchfork media gave them a decent review.  I know he's probaly losing sleep over my rave review of them too.

3.  Trick Of The Light-The Who 1978  The original version and not the one that's on the remastered edtion of Who Are You CD that came out a few years ago.  One of a select few CDs that I perfer the first edtion CD version simply of the fact that Keith Moon is better on the beat than on the remaster.  I can still tell the difference even though I'm deaf (or have selective hearing).

4.  Free And Easy (Down The Road I Go)-Dierks Bentley 2008  Since Dierks was gracious enough to wait out the 206th monsoon storm of the summer and put on a great show at the Jones County Fair last Saturday, I thought I would reward him with a place on the top ten.  I'm such a gracious guy ain't I?

5.  Live In A Box-Spider Bait 2004  An Aussie band that did a God awful version of Black Betty that made it on a movie called Without A Paddle (you don't remember Without A Paddle?  It was a movie about a canoe trip gone haywire....something like that)  Don't know much about these folk but they had a female drummer that sang on a couple songs, the best songs off that album.  Like this one.  Sounds a bit like Belly.  Or The Toadies.  Or whatever you want them to sound.

6.  Bullet The Blue Sky-U2 1986  In celebration of Island/Universal/Interscope releasing two cd sets of U2's early album, I dug out the Joshua Tree and play this little number.  The 20th anniversity edition mind you, that I found for five bucks at HP Books.  Why go anywhere else for used music?

7.  Driven-Rush 1996  But it's my turn to drive.  Not when I'm behind the wheel dude.  I trust my driving better than yours.

8.  Topsy (part 3)-The Townedgers 2008  Nobody listens to drum solos anymore judging by the three plays on the Townedgers My Space Site.  Probaly the only time I stick a drum solo up on this top ten.

9.  Hocus Pocus-Focus 1973  What the hell Crabb?  Another song with a drum solo.  Ah relax, nobody will know.  Nobody ever reads my top ten anymore.  We're safe brother.

10. Watching And Waiting-The Moody Blues 1969  From the  re remastered Moody Blues classic albums one of my all time favorite songs from The Moodies.  In the coming months, I plan to replace my first generation Moody CDs with the remasters, with bonus tracks and better sound.  I mean on the new albums we get to hear the album the way we remembered it on vinyl.  Lots of bass and a very dreamy sound with keyboards.  They simplified everything in the 80s and I lost interests but the albums starting with Days Of Future Passed up to Every Good Boy Deserves Favour remain Crabb Classics.  Who knows, maybe I'll buy them all over again when they come out on 5.1 Dolby Soundaround in Blu Ray Disc.

The Who VH1 Honors Fiasco. 

I donno, everybody has their own thing they like.

Didn't care much for the Foo Fighters.  I tend to figure that Young Man Blues was done better by Route 66 back in the late 80s.  I like Incubus a bit better though.  Jack Black's band, Spinal Tap was funnier.  The Flaming Lips was just plain weird.  Pearl Jam went one for two, Love Reign Over Me, Vedder sounded shrill but Real Me did rocked.

I love Pete and Roger but without Keith and John, they're not The Who and haven't been for 30 years.  Yup, Roger can't sing anymore but I still bought Endless Wire of the fact that I'm a fan and if they get the next album out, I'll buy that too.  I disagree on the hired hand quote from Bob, Zak Starkey is the closest thing they came to Keith Moon and Keith did give Zak drum lessons when he was alive.  Pino Palladino knows he can't duplicate John so he does it his way.

If nothing else, we still care about the old bands that we grew up listening to and know damn well we're not goin to get another Live At Leeds or Who's Next or even Who Are You.  But we still support the act.
Perhaps VH1 should have gotten the Len Price 3 or some Who Tribute band to do the songs but then again, that wouldn't be ratings worthy.  I did like the Sean Penn telling Vh1 to stop with the reality shit for shows but I'm sure that fell on deaf ears.

Still, the best Rock Honors The Who would have been to show The Kids Are Alright and let the music speak for itself.  I know I would have watched it from start to end.

FU VH1