Monday, July 21, 2008

Crabb Bits: Coldplay, Dierks Bentley, 2008 Flood

RIP Ebert and Roeper At The Movies, last show will be the week of August 16.

For almost thirty years At The Movies was the place to see reviews of movies.  When Gene Siskel passed away it wasn't the same for me so I didn't watch much of that.  With Roger Ebert still recovering from throat cancer and Disney thinking of a change it was time to bury this.


There's one thing about Dierks Bentley and that is he is one of the more exciting country artists to see live and I'm sure the show with Miranda Lambert was a lot of fun although fans had to wait for the 67th severe thunderstorm of the summer to go through.  Gotta love it when he played till one AM regardless.  I really wanted to see Boston friday night but the 66th heavy rain storm prohibited me from doing so.  Could have gone, the storm didn't hit till midnight and flooded Viola with 4 more inches of rain.  Can you now see why I hate rain folks?  All it has done all year is either icestorms, or blizzards and now extreme weather that has made living in this state a fucking chore.  And the Jones County Fair this year has been one major storm after another although I'm sure it didn't rain last night when the Diddy Bops popped on stage.

Tired of flooded basements, I decided this weekend to close up the damn moat with rocks which have been sitting in our driveway for the past two years and nothing got done about it.   Shoving rocks and using a wheelbarrel with a flat tire for two hours in humid weather is not a good idea ffor anybody but it had to be done.  Trying to shovel rocks and pretty much getting sunburned beyond belief, I finally got all the rocks into the holes before a bad case of heat rash started up.  I probaly lost twenty pounds in the process and yes we got another round of windy thunderstorms this morning but everything stayed dry for a change.

But I am paying a price for it today, my back is pretty sore and the damn printers at work are the usual.  Had to switch the cutters to split merge from whole and it took forty minites before the damn thing work.  And then having Lyle at work coming over and saying they needed a test job back to whole mode...........
I dont care where I go on vacation in august, and I don't care if the fucking gas is twenty dollars a gallon, I'm getting the hell out of here.

COLDPLAY-Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends (EMI)
Sometimes I can be swayed by reviewing an album just by the negativity that surrounds it.  Not too often (don't look for a Jessica Simpson country review anytime soon) but when I heard of the constant bashing of Chris Martin and his band's latest album, I think it either the NY Times bashathon or Jon Pareles's bashing of it that made me to decide to check it out.

Fuck them all, I think this album is pretty damn hooky although it actually sounds more U2ish than the dreaded R word band that used to be on the same label as Coldplay. Beginning with the dreamy Life In Technicolor which also concludes the album as Death And All His Friends we get a more poppy Coldplay, a lot less on the piano and a bit more on guitars and lots of  Brian Eno's production work.   I also tend to think this album, if mixed properly instead of the compressed MP3 sound would have a lot more memorable in the end.  Cemetries Of London sounds a bit Stingish with those U2 guitar chiming in the background.  I can't say this album will replace Rush Of Blood To The Head in terms of being a classic album but I think it's better than the last album, which I think tried too hard of being too serious.  Lost! kinda remains me of the Moody Blues in a way, but then again I've been tracking through the Moody Blues new Remasters so I might be a bit blind to reason.  42 the song, might be the closest thing to the piano ballads of Rush Of Blood To The Head with a piano figure that sounds akin to Imagine by John Lennon before going kinda of a jam groove, a curve ball thrown in for good measure a bit like Red era King Crimson without the nasty overtones on that album before going back to the piano and the song ends there. 

Nevertheless, Viva La Vida is certainly a lot more enjoyable than X and Y and a helluva lot more fun than the indee alt rock that the NY times enjoy and better than Jon's boy Bruce Springsteen. VLV might be the keeper that X and Y wasn't.  Note to Mr. Perles;  Coldplay isn't the insufferable band of the decade as you say, it's only insufferable to closed minds.  Radiohead might be that insufferable band but In Rainbows proves that otherwise, so perhaps insufferable band could be Hinder or Three Doors Down or Taking Back Sunday.  I reserve judgement on the most insufferable band myself but when you decided to be closed minded on the new Coldplay, it opened up my mind to review it.  And find myself I should look up Parachutes to review.  Closed minded critcs;  what do they know?
Grade B plus

More Whine for your cheese

There was a link to a critic bitching about the recent Elton John and Ray Davies albums but since that didn't work, he basically said that they both sucked and they need to die.

Basically another critic's  point of view.  I for one, did give Elton John's last album a decent grade and still think Ray Davies can make a listenable album.  I agree with him that The Who should call it a day and the Stones too.  Roger Daltry can't sing anymore but if they should make a complete album with Zak Starkey on drums then it will be worth a listen.  Springsteen's last album got a shitty mix that made it unlistenable, Elvis Costello is overrated and if anything, music is in the eyes and ears of the beholder.  Even with narrow or closed minded critics.

RangerDan Sez.

 I'm gonna run right out and buy another Cold Play CD.  AGGGH, cough, vomit, ZZZZZZZZZZZZ, snore.