Friday, May 11, 2012

WTF Goldmine

As a record collector and CD hoarder I relied a lot on Goldmine for the obscure and hard to find CD imports of the 1990s.  Back then it was 200 page newspaper magazine that had wonderful columns from the late great Cub Koda and plenty of music reviews and them famous ads from the best record stores in the world.

How times have changed.

I recently reconnected and got a new subscription to Goldmine after 10 years of not reading that mag.  When I got a new copy in the mail, I was thinking somebody musta mailed me Entertainment Weekly.  Upon second look, it turned out to be Goldmine.  What used to be a bi weekly mag is now a month by month with only 66 pages of color and some reviews here and some there but it is a pale shell of itself.

I didn't care much for the Nick Mars and Motley Crue interview nor Dave Mustaine, never been a big Megadeth fan myself either.  Only cool thing I saw was them interviewing Andy Parker, the UFO drummer who is back in the band again but like any over 50 music dude has a grey goatee to keep up on the times.  Parker rejoined UFO after Jason Bonham left to join Foreigner and basically it's a known fact that UFO best tunes were with Parker laying down the beat.  Although I have reviewed the Vinnie Moore UFO era, the problem remains that Phil Mogg simply cannot sing anymore and after The Monkey Puzzle, I didn't pay much attention to further UFO albums.  You may be interested to know that Vinnie Moore has been in the band longer than Paul Chapman who replace Michael Schneker.  Really, UFO has always had excellent guitar players be it Chapman or Schneker or Moore or to a lesser extent Mick Bolton and one has to give credit to Paul Raymond as well who bridged into the gaps of the guitar players.  I have no desire to review the new UFO if and when SPV puts it out, it's not that I don't care I still do, but Phil Mogg's is beating Bob Dylan in the can't sing department anymore.  Rest assured if they made a UFO karaoke CD with Vinnie, Raymond and Parker laying down the tracks I give it a listen.

Other things: Nicole thinks we might have time to do Encore Recordings next week, perhaps FYE at the mall but if we do that will be fine.  She knows the way to my heart is two hours at a great music store bless her heart.  We won't be having any internet access   while I'm up there but if you come back to this site you might find a surprise or two.  But for now, we taking care of some unfinished biz before her return trip back to Detroit Metro next week.  Till then time to stock up on the Advil in case of back problems.

and if you're need of comic relief here's a little tidbit from Mr. Rose himself.

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/05/stay-away-from-microwaves.html#.T6q5f2pZdlE.facebook

from this review of 1991 (21 years ago) http://www.lettersofnote.com/p/review-guns-n-rosesmetallica.html

Speaking of which, watching the HBO Rock n Roll Hall Of Fame repeat, I still don't like Sweet Child O Mine.

One more thing for your entertainment: A interview with Steve Albini who gives a very candid opinion of rock and roll and the state its in.  http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/td90c/i_am_steve_albini_ask_me_anything/

2 comments:

TAD said...

Crabby: I don't have any Xperience with GOLDMINE, but I remember how I felt when MUSICIAN went down the tubes....
From the late '70s into the early '90s, MUSICIAN had better music coverage than ROLLING STONE, wide-ranging reviews, great interviews, & hilarious writers (Lester Bangs, Charles M. Young, Jill Blardinelli, Rafi Zabor, Chip Stern, Vic Garbarini, Bill Flanagan, Mark Rowland, etc). & they covered everything from jazz 2 punk 2 country 2 heavy metal. I still think they were the best music mag ever.
I lost touch with them after I got back 2 the US from Turkey, & when I stumbled over a copy on a newsstand around '98, there was nothing left. They'd turned into a working-musician's magazine, all the good writers siphoned-off by BILLBOARD & etc. I was really bummed. Still haven't found a replacement 4 them....

TAD said...

Crabby: Just wanted you 2 know that Steve Albini "thread" or whatever it is, is hilarious. If I was a fan I'd probly even find it funnier. Thanx 4 linking 2 it....