Thursday, May 17, 2012

Top Ten Of The Week-Revisiting A Classic One

 This week I'm off to take care of outstanding business but not to worry.  I picked a classic top ten from the archives for your entertainment and enjoyment.  We'll be back next week to rock it to ya.


1.  FM (No Static At All)-Steely Dan 1978  From the flop movie of the same name that came out 31 years ago, the FM S/T was basically songs from the likes of The Eagles, James Taylor and Linda Ronstandt and anybody was under contract to Irving Azloff.  It's a shame they never did include this song on Aja or Gaucho.  One of the more funkier songs that they ever put out.

2.  Commotion-Creedence Clearwater Revival  1969  I believe I played this song a lot more on 45 than Down On The Corner but ya know this rocked pretty hard even for Fogerty and company.

3.  The Great Sun Jester-Blue Oyster Cult 1979  When BOC played this song at the 5 Seasons Center, this wasn't out on album but when they played it, they rocked big time.  When it finally came out on the Mirrors album, it sounded too damn polished for anybody's liking and I still think had they had Sandy Pearlman behind the controls, this would have been more dirtier sounding.  I guess they didn't care much for this song for they never did play it live in the five times that I have seen BOC over the years.  Co written with Mike Moorcock, who wrote some Sci Fi stuff for Hawkwind beforehand.

4.  In My Field-Ocean Colour Scene 2001  A band that made a few albums for various labels (MCA and Sanctuary come to mind) I never paid much attention to them till I saw Mechanical Wonder in the dollar bins at the local HP Bookstore.  Lead singer sounds a bit like Roger Daltrey but OCS are much more mellower than The Who ever was.  A curio listen so to speak.

5.  Last Dance-The Raspberries 1973  Capitol screwed them over in the CD era, they put out The Capitol Collector's Series which include a  lot of their rocking numbers but later editions had more ballads and strictly stuck with their hits but this Wally Bryson number is a cross between country and power pop.  I tend to favor The Raspberries over Big Star in terms of Pop music of the 70s simply of the fact that when they put their mind to it, The Raspberries could rock hard.  Which is the point.

6.  Military Madness-Crosby, Stils, Nash & Young 2008 Taken from the Deja Vu Live album that came out late last year, this was originally on Graham Nash's Songs For Beginners.  I saw CSN on the RnR HOF concert on HBO and although they still have the harmonies, Steve Stills just cannot sing anymore.  Guess it's too late to get back to that garden after all eh?

7.  Love You Til The End-The Pogues 1996  Without Shane McGowan, The Pogues cease to exist with the fans but that doesn't mean they made bad albums.  Actually, Pogue Mahone was a fine album if any other band did it.  Dedicated to my other half who should be home shortly.

8.  Remember Me I'm Gone-Motorhead 1982  This was the B Side to Iron Fist and didn't make the vinyl album of said name but Roadrunner Records did tack this on as a bonus track in the early 90s.  Back when Roadrunner Records was Roadracer and actually cared more about heavy metal insted of being corporate pigs and giving us watered down real metal (although I'll grant them some points due to Black Stone Cherry).

9.  What's On My Mind-Kansas 1976  This was released as a 45 but didn't break as Carry On Wayward Son did and classic rock radio rarely touches this song. Wasn't much into Kansas in my early years but later on I tend to pull out Leftoverture from time to time and yes, Monolith.

10.  Seven Turns-The Allman Brothers Band 1990 And finally, we come to end of the road and we look back on four years of Crabb at My Space with fondness.   I thought at some way The Crabb Top Ten would become so much bigger but the glory years of My Space are now gone and all we have left is equal to a town that was on Route 66 and then got bypassed by the interstate.  Sure we get some traffic from time to time but I think the majority  moved on to Facebook or Twitter or just gave up on new music all told.  Yeh, this song came out just about twenty years ago but I heard it for the first time this year and call it a lost classic and thought this would be a fitting finale to end the year.  The final hoorah for Dicky Betts it seems but it did pave the way for the world to be introduced to his replacement Warren Haynes.

 Now off to see what other kind of blog bullshit that I will think of.  Here's a picture of me in action, or inaction.  Take your pick , and under the watchful eye of Boone Novy in the background.

2 comments:

TAD said...

Nice Top 10, & ... wow, somehow I thot you might look ... I dunno, SCARIER? Very brave, anyway....

R S Crabb said...

Oh there's more scarier stuff out there TAD. Check back and see ;)