Friday, April 13, 2012

The Mad City Expierence

Some things to talk about.

The big non news this week is Axl Rose declining being inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame.  Basically people are up in a uproar over that.  My thought is that Axl can do what he wants whatever he does and the world will still be around tomorrow.

I'm not a Guns & Roses fan, if I died and gone to hell Sweet Child O Mine would be the leadoff track, hated that song then, hate it now but their first album had their moments and Use Your Illusion albums   They rocked hard but they never appealed to me so I don't comment on them that much.  Spaghetti Incident? showed Axl and company their favorite music bands too.  But he and Slash has always been a oil and water combo and it blew up and Axl wants nothing to do with Slash.  Fair enough.  The Chinese Democracy is a whole different GnR and basically it's the new version that has been around for a lot longer than the original classic lineup.  At least you don't hear Izzy or Duff complain about GnR as much as druggie Stephen Adler does every day.  I'm sure Slash and the rest will show up because they want to.  And Axl can stay home if he wants, or take his band out and do the things he's been doing the last decade or so.

Now Madison, the springtime bargain hunt.  Spur of the moment, wake up at 6 AM, can't get back to bed and so it was decided to jump in the car and ride on to the Wisconsin capital two and half hours away.  There are days to which I have good times up there and there's others that maybe finding anything wasn't worth the effort or trouble getting there.  Dealing with each and every red light.  Dealing with dumbfuck drivers who cut off getting off the exit back home.  And then being pissed off to the point that taking the Beltway and flipping everybody off that tries to speed up.  Or the dumbass biker that almost hit me while I had the fucking walk signal to cross the street.  Or seeing the liquor store dude run out a drunk at the liquor store.  Or hearing some tone deaf kid mess up Loving Cup by The Rolling Stones to which you can still hear him two blocks away.

More road construction on Washington Street leading out to the interstate again.  Seems like they're always doing some kind of road construction.  So why do I even do this?


Dollar CDs at Pawn America!

Pink Floyd-Animals
Pink Floyd-Wish You Were Here
Rush-Presto (new remaster)
Blues Traveler
Kristy McCall-Electric Landlady
B-52s
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Tom Waits-Frank's Wild Years
Sherbs-The Skill
Justin Currie-What Love Is For

I could have picked up a couple more, but really didn't like Joni Mitchell's Blue when I first heard it.  Nevertheless it took me about 2 and half hours to sort through and see what else I could find and I'm sure I missed a few others but I'm certain I'll be back to pick them up if they're still around.  Some guy dropped off a bunch of Beatles CDs and the two Pink Floyd CDs that lead off the list and both of those cds are in like new shape.

Half Priced books stuff:
Sun Ra-Purple Night
Van Halen-For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
Chad & Jeremy-Painted Dayglow Smile
Kimberley Rew-Tunnel Into Summer

Mad City Music Exchange Findings:
Kraftwerk-Autobaun (CD)
Steven Fromholz-A Rumor In My Own Time (LP)
Pursuit Of Happiness-Love Junk (LP)

Others:
Orion The Hunter-(LP from Goodwill)
Rolling Stones-Out Of Our Heads (CD from The Exclusive Company)

6 comments:

drewzepmeister said...

It's that time of year in Wisconsin, construction begins...I now have to go through TWO detours just to work each morn.. Ridiculous! One of these days I'll have to make a trip to Madison for a bargain hunt. What place do you recommend?

Admittedly, I do like Guns n' Roses even though I think Axl is an asshole. I saw GNR back during the Illusion Tour and it was the WORST concert I ever saw. The audience was SO rowdy that they threw sod from the lawn seats into the reserved seats where I sat. Axl didn't help matters by encouraging this behavior. I ended up leaving the show early.

R S Crabb said...

Never cared much for Axl and the boys although I did buy Chinese Democracy on vinyl for 2 bucks at Best Buy and I think I played two sides of it.

If you're looking for bargains on the cheap Drew, it's Pawn America on the East side next to Home Depot I think. CD's are a dollar and they have 4 big rows of them and although most of them are junk or crap, you have to search very hard to find the good stuff. Took me about 2 and half hours but I managed to come up with a interesting few. Goodwill is about half block down but usually their LP selection stinks. Off Williamson is Mad City Music Exchange (by the bike place near Lake Monona) The guy has LPs for a dollar and sometimes I can find some good stuff on the cheap.

Sorry about the Detours up there Drew, they haven't hit the highway home from Mad City but I've seen the cones and the impending messages that they will start up road construction. That's probably I went to Mad City this week instead of waiting. ;)

TAD said...

Crabbsta: Hey, let me know if ELECTRIC LANDLADY is any good. I've been curious about Kirsty MacColl for years, & the only place I've heard her is on a coupla Pogues albums....
Hey, Gary Lewis was pretty great, & "She's Just My Style" is hysterical -- basically cos he sounds like such a geek that you know no stylish girl would get NEAR him.... I really love "This Diamond Ring" & "Count Me In" & "Everybody Loves a Clown," too....
You're right, Dave Stewart married 1 of the Ramabanana girls -- Siobhan Fahey, maybe? Can't remember. Anyway, their self-titled album's pretty good, with "Cruel Summer," "The Wild Life," "Robert DeNiro's Waiting," & a gorgeous piece of aural seduction called "Dream Baby" that's worth the price of the album. Ghod, I love those breathy vocal harmonies.
DSS's best song, for me, was "Cheers Then" -- it's just so sweet....
Wow, another epic.... How can you find all that great stuff at 1/2 Price? I gotta go hit mine. Who knows what lost gold they got in the 45 bins...?

R S Crabb said...

Hay TAD,
Electric Landlady is not that bad, although I think Walking Down Madison was a college hit. There's a best of that has most of her better known stuff (They Don't Know, a bigger hit for Tracy Ullman, Fairytale Of New York etc) If you find it for a dollar it's worth listening to.

Half Priced Books is a hit and miss affair, sometimes I find things and most of the times I don't. 45s are hard to come by and hard to find moreso if they're in like new shape or VG+. But if your close by to a Half Priced Books (I recall a store in Seattle I went to a couple times in 2001) it does pay to see what they have for cds or 45s.

drewzepmeister said...

Thanks Crabb!

Though Madison is only about two hours to the west of me, I haven't been there in years! Maybe a road trip is in order... Who knows? Maybe we'll run into each other.

R S Crabb said...

Well Drew I have been to Madison so many times that I pretty much know where to go and how to get there, pending if I don't run into too many red lights or drivers that cut me off, something that Mad City is notorious for. I'm sure they have more music stores to visit to where your at. Who knows, if you go up there sometime in the summer and seeing some dude on the floor scouring through 8 rows of CDs at PawnAmerica, good chance that just might be me ;)