Thursday, April 5, 2012

Crabb Bits: Jimmy Iovine Knows It All, Another Allegiant Fee

I got to read the Rolling Stone interview with Jimmy Iovine, the Interscope head huncho and Producer Extraordinaire and basically it's a hoot.  But here's some of my thoughts on what he said.

He may think that Bruce Springsteen's Darkness On The Edge Of Town and Born To Run are awesome but I have never liked the mix that he employs on Darkness, it's too murky and too compressed and he might have been deaf when he recorded it back then.  Make no mistake, he's done wonders for the likes of Stevie Nicks and Patti Smith.

Tom Petty on the other hand, Iovine took that record over the top and for all intent purposes it was classic but I always liked You're Gonna Get It more.  Perhaps it was that it was the first Tom Petty album I ever got and on 8 track too, Listen To Her Heart or I Need To Know or When The Time Comes are first rate rockers.  Damn The Torpedoes is overplayed with Refugee and Don't Do Me Like That and Here Comes My Girl, but the rest of side 1 rocks pretty damn hard and my favorite track is  What Are You Doing In My Life.  While Iovine complains of no hits on Hard Promises, he must have forgotten about The Waiting which made top ten.  He does a point with Long After Dark about being the lesser of the three TP that he produced.  But then again Iovine didn't do Graham Parker any favors with the lackluster Up Escalator although he did pair Graham up with Bruce Springsteen on the Endless Night.

Iovine brings up a point that 90 percent of albums made in this lifetime should have never been made. And that the future of music is dead or that there's no future Bruce or Tom Petty on the horizon.  And that the last U2 shouldn't have been made since it wasn't finished.  Ya have to give the man credit for telling the truth and laying it on the line but back in 75 you didn't cross Bruce Springsteen since he didn't give a fuck.  Made music his way and Jimmy recorded it his way.  And of course you knew of the end result.

Rock on Jimmy.

Other Things:  Allegiant Airlanes has announced that they will start charging people for carry on luggage should you want to stow something overhead.  They will not charge you if you put things under the seat.  For the last 4 years, the AZ trips I have used Allegiant to get from here to Mesa or Las Vegas and they have not disappointed me.  But lately they have actually charging fees for each every little things that the big wigs can think of.  Check this out: 

   Allegiant President Andrew Levy announced the new fee in an e-mail to employees, saying the changes are part of “an ongoing effort to develop an innovative, new approach to travel.”

An innovative way to  to develop a new approach to travel by charging more fees?!?  Oh for Fuck's sake people.  Mr. Levy, you have disappointed me in this effort to add more fees in thinking buying a cheap plane ticket thinking we are getting a bargain while you fee'ing us to death doesn't make cost effective sense.  I suppose if I did Arizona again it would be Allegiant BUT,  in this day and age of 4 dollar gallon gas,  and various bills and other things in life we have to contend with that I do not forsee me going out to the desert this year.  I simply cannot afford that and taking 10 dollars for changing seats, another 20 for online booking, and 2 dollars for a GD 12 OZ Pepsi makes flying even more of a pain in the ass in terms of getting there.   I guess I have to live my past memories of being in the desert and wishing I can stop at a Hastings or Zia's to find more tunes.  I'll have to dream about it.

The public is tired of all these fees Allegiant, just raise the fucking price of plane ticket just like the rest of the monopoly owned airlanes and just give us back free stuff, like overhead storage or changing seats.  Southwest is too much of a pussy to ever bring their planes to our airport.

Finally, I switched over to the new Blogspot and it's going take a while to get used to.  But I can look up the ratings of past blogs and see how well they have performed.  I'm not big on change, I like things the way that they are but eventually, I'll warm up to the new Blogspot.

4 comments:

TAD said...

Crabby: As usual, I have some complaints with the "new" Blogger's "stats" function. How can I have 3 comments on a post if I have 0 pageviews? If nobody read it, how can any1 comment?
Bloggers pageview #'s get worse the farther back I go. & I'm not sure about their newer #'s either, frankly. But I'll keep track of them & we'll see. It's a suprise 2 me that I can leave a new post up 4 a week & only 5 people look at it. Maybe, maybe not. I dunno -- grain of salt time, I think.
As far as ACCESS 2 their data & stuff, I have no complaints, & it's all pretty complete, 4 what there is. As a #'s guy, I'd B intrested in yer views....

R S Crabb said...

TAD,
I think Drew said it best in not getting too caught up in the numbers of Blogspot. I find the numbers of views interesting on some of the post but what can we do? Cheers!

TAD said...

Hey BTW, my fave track by far on DAMN THE TORPEDOES is "Even the Losers," which is my fave Tom Petty song ever -- if they played nothing else by him ever again on the radio, I wouldn't miss any of the rest. "Losers" is just so easy to relate to, great gtr & keybs, & the lyrics R freakin' great. For me, that was his career....

R S Crabb said...

TAD

Nobody can take away how good Damn The Torpedoes is, despite some of the songs overkilled on radio. TP might be overrated in terms of music but I think I like his lesser stuff (You're Gonna Get It, Let Me Up, Into The Great Wide Open) moreso than the first album and the overplayed American Girl which didn't get any airplay on our radio stations when it came out in 1976, or Full Moon Fever which if I never hear Free Fallin again it wouldn't break my heart. But then again Rick Rubin didn't do him any favors either, Wildflowers and Echo both good albums but buoyed down by too much filler. He may have overstayed his welcome on the lackluster Mojo.