Sunday, May 1, 2011

Crabb Bits: May Day, Jim Rogers Memorial Bargain Hunt, Sir Henry Cooper

Happy May Day folks. The sun is shining which seems to be a rare happening in this area. But thankfully no big tornadoes and big storms to worry about.

The ratings are in and last month I had the second most readers out there checking out blogs, thank you for reading. That's the good news. I could generate more ratings if I promoted them over FB or Twitter but I tend to keep things low key. Certainly I don't have the outrageous reviews and observations of Mark Prindle who I do chat from time to time on FB (he's very active over there), or other sites which uses videos and pictures. Certainly I don't call too much attention to myself and maybe it's better that way. People would get tired of seeing tweets of me going check this out and posting the link every other tweet. Despite that, 875 of y'all made a visit to just another music and blow steam off site and having the second best month ever makes it fun to continue. So we will. However the past couple weeks,I have been having some bad carpel tunnel pain in the wrists so I have been cutting back a bit. Plus this is our busiest month in printing land, that'll be another reason the blogs will be down. But don't fret, we got some bargain hunts to talk about, this week's top ten is our annual prom 10 and if anything major happens I'll comment on that and those too. In the meantime, I'll be enjoying the sun for now and when get back will pick up where i left off.

Friday I went to the Jim Rogers Memorial Wake and chatted a bit with my former boss Denny Ballard of course our boss's boss was there as well. Not surprising there was tears and hugs when I gave Shannon a good hug and we're not trying to lose it but the old voice cracked. Funerals are not much fun, you see the departed laying in state and if you looked too long you get to feel sad as well. Jim's wife seemed to be more relaxed and the rest of the family was friendly. Couldn't say that for our former co workers in scanning, Leonard making a fifty yard dash out the door. The guy used to be all gray but now seeps in hair coloring to the point of ridiculous. But then again he's always been a oddball at best. Tim, our old third shift senior was in front of me but never said anything to me. So be it, Tim and his wife have been piling on the pounds of late and I'm sure Tim outweighs me now. Our boss's boss I think has only talked to me twice at work and one of them was cleaning my clock out for overdoing the video games. Kinda wished that Tony Woods would have been there or Terry Carsner, at least we could share a joke or two. Not Leonard though. Maybe I'll volunteer myself for scanning this week so I can go bother Leonard just like the old days.

But in these days and times I still made it an effort to go find more music and did just that. Going up to Record Collector and picking up a Dave Brubeck and Fraternity Of Man LP and the to Sweet Living Antiques for a few albums and some 45s but kept it short since the wake started at 3 and then had to get to work. But took the long way and stopped at Stuff Etc. and found a Pink Floyd The Wall Soundtrack Bootleg and a Fabulous Poodles Best Of.

Finally Sir Henry Cooper, great fighter for the UK and fought two bouts with Muhammad Ali in 1963 and 1966 only to lose to technical knockouts (basically they had the stop the fight since Cooper's face was bloodied beyond belief and he was actually leading both bouts). Ended his career in 1971 controversial fight with Joe Bugner with losing by a half point Cooper retired. He was knighted in 2000, but declining health and the passing of his wife in 2009 didn't help things and he passed away on Saturday. He was 76. Would have loved to meet this gentleman.

As I was typing this the message came on from the President that Osama Bin Laden is dead. Almost 10 years after 9/11, fate and the determination of our armed forces finally got the terrorist and shot him in the head. It was a long time coming.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, this was a really nice post. In idea I would like to put in writing like this additionally - taking time and actual effort to make a very good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and by no means seem to get something done.

R S Crabb said...

basically it's trial and error. Some times do take time to blog and research while others are thrown together to see if anything sticks. Thanks for reading!