Thursday, March 3, 2011

Crabb Bits: Dental Health Partners, Media Exchange etc.

Even since my old dentist Dr. Jon McWhinney decided to retire in 2007 thereabouts, I've been going to the Krals and Dental Health Partners and making it my third home since it seems I'm always in their dentist chair.  The old place where Dr Jon used to have his practice was on Center Point Road and the parking lot was uphill and the place was like a house which had three or four different rooms of his operation.  I remember spending the day with him either having WGN midday or the fucking hot air that is Rush Oxycondin Limbaugh and making the doc turn the channel before the radio went flying out the window.   But he always had the wonderful view of the highway or the church next door and seeing many birds fly up to the feeder and camp out there.  It made going to the dentist a little less painful.

I'm not a big fan of Dentists and having Dental Health Partners hasn't been a pleasant experience. (gotta love spell checker) They were closer to Best Buy so after getting my teeth tortured (cleaned) I'd go over there for a spell before going to work.  I didn't like the damn four month cleaning they wanted so I moved it back to six month.  Face it, my teeth are plaque magnets, seems after a day of clean teeth, plaque would return.  The old place was downstairs to which we were tortured by endless repeats of Dentline, the dental version of Dateline where smiling full of teeth robots would stress the importance of cleaning, or tortured by KDAT, the GD radio station from Hell with endless crap such as Hey Soul Sister, Broken Wings, anything Sheryl Crow.  So they have moved into the old area to which my old dentist used to be.  Things have changed.  The landscapers have eliminated the hill so we don't go up on that narrow road.  Have to admit the new building looks neat and feels like being at a guest house.  And we don't have to listen to the dammed KDAT anymore, they got cable TV you can watch from above while getting that root canal and hearing the dental assistant bitch about all that plaque in your mouth.   Nevertheless, it's a step above from the cold cave dwellings of the old place.  I'm sure they will be seeing a lot more of me for I'm sure I also contribute of making the new DHP place looking good although they did put a big wall up blocking the view of the church and the bird feeders gone away, so we don't see Cardinals, Blue Jays, Robins and other flying bags of shit making things pretty.

A couple years ago CD's Plus & More closed up shop but it looks like they have returned in the form of National Media Exchange which is now located next door to Best Buy in the former CD Warehouse site.  Still the place has no personality and has that stale smell of hand sanitizer and mold in the air.  And the inventory which is more DVDs than the outdated CD format is about as it was at CDs.  And most of the CDs were from the old place across the street.  Not much variety but at least it's one place in town that I can check out for new music once every other month.   Come to think of it, it was 20 years ago that Disc Go Round, which would become CD's Plus started up shop as a anti Relic Records store, the main place I used to hang out.  But I did managed to waste plenty of money buying things at Disc Go Round too.

Heck even the old stoner dude who worked at CD's Plus is at Media Exchange.  And as stoned as always.
(CD's Plus closed up shop four months later, the old place became the Republican Headquarters in 2012 for the failed Milt Romney Campaign).

Congratulations to Erin at Alter Ego for winning an Addy for best commercial even though I've yet to see it on TV.  I don't think she follows much of Crabby on this side of the fence, she used to on Twitter but got a bit put off by my rants and love tweets to my GF but then again I never did tell Erin that I have a blogspot going on about musical things.  I just don't promote the Crabb Top Ten that much and rather not flood her email about read my blogs.  I should go visit her up at Alter Ego one of these days, after all it's been over a year since I've been there. (I have yet to go up there).

Interesting things happening in Madison and no thanks to the self proclaimed dictator Scott Walker.  I'd love to go up there and see what's going on but I don't have any plans going there right now, a little something called gas prices going up having to do with that and weather not co operating either.   So we'll see.  Davenport is closer and not as chaotic.  But for now, no plans of doing either.

Next week, The Roots will be playing at the IMU.  Cheaper going there instead of seeing old has been Tony Orlando playing at Riverside for 35 bucks.

2 comments:

Starman62 said...

The dentist can be a drag. I always request the gas, even for cleaning, as it is a welcome relief from all the prodding and scraping. I was at the dentist a couple weeks ago. He says everything looks great, BUT, there is a chip on one of my molars which is a composite of mostly non-tooth matter. Therefore, we better crown that sucker. Which means 425 bucks out of pocket. I remember hoop saying the best thing he ever did was have all his teeth pulled. Sometimes I wonder....

Hey, regarding that drunk singalong list, I was anticipating Freebird to be number 1, but alas. I recall loads of drunken soldiers (myself included) at the NCO club at Fort Gordon, GA, circa 1980, yelling Freebird! at the top of our lungs, plastic cup pyramids at every table. Ah...not a memory I care to relish, but there it is.

R S Crabb said...

I'm surprised that they didn't include Free Bird now that you mention it Starman. or Louie Louie for that matter. I can't picture me singing to Sublime or Euro Trash Girl but then again it's been eons since I went barhopping.