Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Top Ten Of The Week-Guest Host Brooksie

Hey everyone, welcome back to my weekly blog o' tunes, where there is usually something for everyone's enjoyment
The feeling around here is a bit subdued over the past few days, what with the situation in Lebanon and Israel. I feel so badly for all of the innocent civilians who have been caught up in the barrage of shelling, and of course I really hope that the powers that be over there can try to come to an accord and put a stop to the madness. I'm not an expert in world affairs, by any means, just a very concerned human being. And I don't know a solution; all I can do is hope and pray for peace.
All that aside, we welcome some more new folks to the mix: John Mayer, Gary Bennett (of BR549 fame), Bronson Arroyo (you know him, you love him, former Red Sox and current Reds pitcher and a pretty good musician too!), Susan, who is a former high school classmate of mine, and George 'n Sue, personal friends. Thanks and I hope you enjoy my little shindig here!
I discovered this week that Joni Mitchell's page has been taken down! Bummer!! Maybe it was a fan site, and Joni got mad....
Featured indie artists on my page last week were The Muckrakers, Cardello, and Louis Landon (whose gorgeous piano work "Peaceful" is my current tune du jour).
Are you ready to rock? Hit it...
She Belongs To Me - Bob Dylan. I love the Bringing It All Back Home album (ok, which Dylan albums DON'T I love? ) and this song is one of his best love songs ever.
I Can't Explain - The Who. Sure, another overplayed tune, but who cares - it still sounds fresh and exciting, and it's my hands-down favorite from The Who.
No Money Down - Chuck Berry. I had not heard this one before, and it's hilarious as Chuck tells the tale of trying to buy a new car and listing his specifications. Bob Dylan played it on his show last week.
Don't Wanna Cry No More - Anthony Neff. My friend Anthony makes a return visit to my top 10 this week with this excellent number from his Generation X-istential Blues album.
Joe's Garage - Frank Zappa. C'mon, when was the last time you heard a Zappa tune on the radio? I dig this classic garage-rockers lament
Easy Rider - Odetta. She really worked out on this Leadbelly-penned song. What a voice, what a presence!
Ballad Of Easy Rider - The Byrds. Love The Byrds and I love this song. Legend has it that Dylan wrote the lyrics for the first verse on a napkin and handed it to Roger McGuinn.
Freedom Rider - Traffic. This is an excellent funk/jazz/rock fusion tune which you don't hear anymore. Crabb and Diggy and I were having a discussion about Traffic over the weekend, and lo and behold this song popped up on XM the very next day. And it's just coincidence that there are three songs in the list this week dealing with "rider" in one form or another. These things just happen!
Take Me Back To Tulsa - Asleep At The Wheel. A spot-on treatment of the classic Bob Wills toe-tapper.
I Feel So Good - Richard Thompson. What a great tune this is! Richard rocks it up and rips it up as his protagonist tears up the joint and meets a girl
Bonus track: Peaceful - Louis Landon. Once again, I'm featuring this song on my front page right now. It's so beautiful, and yeah, peaceful. Thank you, Louis!
Personal to Jules, Crabb and Gary: thank you, you all made my night!

This blog was saved from Brooksie's My Space site to which she has committed into the ages. I continue to talk to her via Facebook and still am trying to get her to do a new top ten blog for the future.  Here's hoping I can succeed on that.