Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Top Ten Of The Week-Big Bad Crabby

Does it ever end? The Crabb Top Ten? Nope, still going strong with a collection of the new, the familiar and the obscure.

1. Back Stabbers/992 Arguments-The O'Jays 1972 Dedicated to Bill at work. Self explanatory. Funny how I'm yelled at when I don't do nothing at work but when I do I get yelled at. Case in point on Monday, boss told me to get a job out and I chose a printer. Bill came over and asked why I was using that, I told him it was already set up and convenient for me. Bill goes over to cry on a co worker's shoulder that I took his A printer away. Let's get one thing straight-it don't mean fuck if I use that printer or the B printer or the FU printer, it's called work Bill, and I'm surprised that you managed to do any work today. I would have been happy to do it, but you strolled on by and did it yourself. Nice to know you can earn your 20 bucks an hour pay without web surfing all night. Love ya Bill but ever since you had your son you been a pain in the ass for the rest of us. Grow up before your son beats you to it. And if there's a problem, quit going to a third party, that's how you get into deep weeds.

2. I'm So Bad Baby I Don't Care-Motorhead 1991 Must be my theme song at work. Can't win, can't lose for shit anyway. May as well let Lemmy explain it to the rest of the world eh?

3. Sweetest Lie-Goo Goo Dolls 2010 I'm sorry, I loved them growing up in the early 90s, Superstar Car Wash, Boy Named Goo even Hold Me Up were fun Replacements type of punk rock, then they struck gold with Dizzy Up The Girl and since then have gone further and further down the list. Their last album had nothing for me to recommend and their new album is a tad bit better although the old Goos are gone forever but they have shown a bit of their punk past with the lead off track off Something For The Rest Of Us and wished that they could have added a few more songs like this, then the Iris rewrites for hits that will not come. Even the teenage girls who dig Iris have moved on to reality guys.

4. Older Brother-Bob Wiseman 1989 Actually found this album at the FYE in Arizona Mills in the dollar section so thought I checked it out and this is probably the only song that reminds one of Blue Rodeo. Of course Atlantic didn't have a clue on how to promote this so they used it as a tax write off. The album is interesting and eccentric. Probably too eccentric for most tastes.

5. Harps & Angels-Randy Newman 2008 Lot of people don't consider Newman rock and roll and when you mention Randy Newman you get reaction of Short People. I think this song speaks volumes for all of us if you listen to the words. Got some airplay on public radio when it came out.

6. Dixie Lee Junction-Elf 1972 Before Ronnie James Dio started playing Wizards and Demons, he was actually doing southern rock and boogie with Elf. In fact most of this album sounds like it's southern rock to which Rodney Mills recorded their first album but the Deep Purple rhythm section of Ian Paice and Roger Glover produced this. At this time Ronnie was actually the bass player. Useless trivia I know but I thought it was worth pointing out.

7. You're Gonna Get What's Coming-Robert Palmer 1978 Hard to figure Robert Palmer out sometimes. He could be crooner or a soul belter or do boogie rock and roll or techno. At this point he had a top fifty hit with Every Kinda People (written by ex-Free member Andy Fraser) but I found this album closer to be more to my liking. Of course the next year he would hit top 2 with the delightful but overplayed Bad Case Of Loving You (written by Moon Martin who had a top fifty hit Rolene) but that's for another time and another top ten.

8. Emily-Los Lobos 1990 From the overlooked The Neighborhood, I had to go find a copy of this to see what I missed since I used to have this. Has I Can't Understand, a song that was may have been the last number written by Willie Dixon before he passed away. Another track Angel Dance is the latest single from Robert Plant's new album Band Of Joy, a album that's on my want list but knowing it's probably in a digipack. Which may be eco friendly but not when your trying to drive down the road and trying to get it out of the damn thing to put in the player.

9. Roll Over Beethoven-Electric Light Orchestra 1973 Dedicated to TAD who popped up once again, and yes I been listening to a lot more ELO lately. After all found a few of their albums when Hastings had them on sale for 3.99 when I was out in Arizona. The album has a bonus track of Roll Over Beethoven Take One which showcased Jeff Lynne's sense of humor. The thing that ever happened to Ludwig Beethoven come to think of it.

10. For Earth Below-Robin Trower 1975 I do miss Deep Cuts off XM satellite radio since they would dive deep into the classic rock era and play the forgotten faves of the past. Shows there's more to Robin Trower than just Bridge Of Sighs but then again classic rock radio of FM don't play much Trower even off that album. I think I bought this album in the cutouts in high school and later the cd. Still have both.

No comments: