Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Top Ten Of The Week-Jones County Fair Time

The halfway point of summer is the Great Jones County Fair which is this week. Which is also the weekend slated for the Great Madison Bargain hunt of Summer. Weather permitting of course. Major acts include a soldout show of Lady Antebellum/Phil Vasser on Thursday. Friday you get Alan Jackson and Saturday rock and roll show is Grand Funk Railroad, Styx and Joan Jett and The Blackhearts. I think Styx played there a few years ago and I think Alan Jackson is on his second go around here but this is the first time Joan Jett has been out in the boonies. Should be a wonderful time if you going. Cost 10 dollars to get in and if your lucky you might find a nice view from the hill should you want to see Lady Antebellum from afar. I'm sure my GF would be the first to go.

Plenty of interesting stuff on the player. And I do miss TAD and his wonderful comments. And still yet to hear from Brooksie about hosting a top ten sometime down the road but nobody's heard from her in about a year. Maybe I'll dust off a old favorite from her just for old time's sake.

1. Don't Stop Now-The Maine 2010 A promising new act from my old stomping grounds Tempe Arizona, home of The Gin Blossoms, The Refreshments/AZ Peacemakers, Jimmy Eat World and the list goes on. This is radio ready and I'm sure you'll get to hear them on top forty soon. Lead singer sounds like a bit like Steven Tyler. I have their debut Black And While and I like it very much. Might be a classic for the second decade of Y2K. Just like New Miserable Exp. was for the Gin Bunnies back in 1992 and Bleed American was for Jimmy Eat World in 2k1.

2. Let The Day Begin-The Call 1988 Had this album a long time ago and outside the title track can't recall much from it, till I picked up their Best Of and found that a couple more songs off that album were on that album. You Ran was a minor hit and Surrender I faintly remember. Al Gore used this song for his 2000 run for the office. Side Note: Mike Been's son is part of Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. A contrast of styles indeed.

3. Too Much Paranoia-Devo 1978 Dedicated to Tom Warren who seems to be acting from too much paranoia. So tell me Mr. Warren, has Hal Million paid you a visit yet? Back to the song, Mark Mothersbaugh rethinks the world about going to Burger King to soothe that Big Mack Attack. Would have been a hoot had Burger King used this song in a commerical instead of old stale Foreinger's Hot Blooded.

4. Hoedown from Rodeo-Leonard Bernstein 1960 Recorded for Aaron Copland's 60th birthday celebration and yes I have this old Columbia Masterworks album for proof. Found a mint copy of it at Goodwill a few years ago and although I'm not much into classical music I do like bits and pieces of certain things. But everytime I hear this song, I keep thinking that Robert Mitchem is going to say afterwards "Beef, it's what for dinner". Later Emerson Lake & Palmer did their very own version of Hoedown.

5. Bang On The Drum All Day-Todd Rundgren 1982 Like What I Like About You, this song didn't take off till much later when somebody decided to play it at some sporting event and now you can't escape it. I think Todd did this as a throwaway in a attempt to close out his contract with Bearsville but in the process this has paid some of his bills in later life. Probably paid for his move out to Hawaii too.

6. Shadowland-k.d.lang 1988 Last week, I found a whole bunch of albums in the dollar bins at Goodwill and Half Priced Books. Shadowland was one of them. I think this was the last album that Owen Bradley would produce and k.d. got some of Nashville's finest to play on this. Buddy Harman on drums, Buddy Emmons on steel guitar, Pig Robbins on piano, Jimmy Capps on Guitar and Harold Bradley on upright bass. Even got the Jordanaires and Tennessee on backing vocals too. And for one cut, you have Kitty Wells, Loretta Lynn and Brenda Lee singing. Funny seeing a track from this album making it on MTV's 120 Minutes one night. Dedicated to my GF.

7. I'm A Rocker-Bruce Springsteen 1980 I'm not a big Bruce fan, never cared much for Born To Run, got burned out on Born In The USA and if I never hear Hungry Heart again it wouldn't break my heart. There are some of Bruce's songs that I enjoy the hell out of from The River, Two Hearts, You Can Look But You Cannot Touch, Crush On You come to mind. Critics don't seem to care bout those song since they think they're throwaway but to me they are not. They rocked hard and so does I'm A Rocker, which makes me sing along to the E Streeters as they respond to Bruce's call. Later, this track would be featured on the compliation Rock And Roll Fantasy, the only compliation album I guarantee you that has stuff from The Who, Led Zeppelin, Wings, Moody Blues, John Mellencamp, Bryan Adams, Bruce, Tom Petty & Jethro Tull. A one of a kind album for the ages.

8. Painted Moon-The Silencers 1987 Another vinyl piece picked up, this band had two albums for RCA and then stayed back over the pond. Sounded a bit like Cactus World News and U2 although I think they lot like Diesel Park West, who made one EMI album. I think this was their hit off that album. I think.

9. Saved-Bob Dylan 1980 EEEEEEK! Gospel Dylan! Come on kids, Saved wasn't that bad of an album. Fact I think I liked it better than Slow Train Comin but then again I liked Shot Of Love the next year. Take away those annoying black gospel singers on this album and you can probably listen to it more than one time. Last week I added a song from Down In The Groove and now I added a track from Saved. So when the hell am I going to add a song from a great Dylan album you ask. Keep watching this space for more details...........

10. Must Of Got Lost-J. Geils Band 1974 For years I have been treated to the single version of said song till I got the Nightmares album and found out it was 2 minites longer. Just like Listen To The Music we got screwed out of hearing the long version. When I got the airplane while visiting my GF up in Romulus (we didn't go to Detroit in my time there) the convience store that we went was playing a J. Geils Song. Good to those that the Motor City radio station hasn't forgotten Peter Wolf and company.

Good to know.

4 comments:

TAD said...

Crabby: Wa-Haaa! Copland's "Hoedown," "Musta Got Lost" & "Bang the Drum"? Great stuff!
Actually, ALL of Copland's "Rodeo" is great, if you can take it. But "Hoedown" is the only part that really ... uh ... ROCKS. I thot ELP's version shoulda been HEAVIER, more over-the-top. & Copland's "El Salon Mexico" is KILLER! & I've always been a sucker for the "Simple Gifts" closing section of AC's "Appalachian Spring," too. Copland's 1 of my heroes....
"Musta Got Lost" is a CLASSIC. Reminds me of an old shoulda-been girlfriend I shoulda had.... "Bang the Drum" is just silliness, but Todd did a LOT of great stuff that got ignored: "Real Man," "Saving Grace," "Couldn't I Just Tell You," etc.
...Thanx 4 the shout-out -- I'm still out here, I'm just kinda takin a vacation. Keep rockin! -- TAD.

R S Crabb said...

Interesting collection of tunes eh? Todd made some great singles and good albums and Bang On The Drum All Day seems to be a throwaway at best but I'm sure he's glad they're playing it at arenas and when the GB Packers score a TD, he scores with a royalty check ;)

I found a couple of old Poco CDs in the clarence bins and to me they remain the ultimate singles band. Crazy Love reminded me of a high school sweetheart and myself breaking up and couldn't listen to it all that much. I wasn't too thrilled when Sony Music left Railroad Days off Very Best Of Poco on CD which I still have the vinyl piece. For Poco albumwise, the Ultimate Collection has most of their best known stuff but for their Epic years Candamos remains my fave.

Great to hear from ya again TAD.

Anonymous said...

Just because I have Lady Antebellum as one of my ringers on my cell phone doesn't mean I'll go to a fair. I don't do fairs much anymore.

Ty for the dedication too.

R S Crabb said...

I'm not much into fairs either. When it comes to Jones County Fair I talk more than actually go. It doesn't help when floods come at the same time they got the fair going, too many folk and not enough roads to get the heck out of town.