Thursday, July 1, 2010

Bullshit Logic-July.

In June it rained 21 of the 30 days, over half of those days we got an inch and half or more. It gets pretty damn depressing to wonder if the fucking skies are ever going to throwing all this rain down here. We had to suffer through this shit in 2008 and 1993 and this year seemed to be once again another wet year. If there's any drought going on, it sure won't be here. We have four dry days in a row, first time since Memorial Day (I think I mentioned that in the top ten report) and should be dry till Sunday (4th of July) so that we can have our weather fuck up the fire works. Thank the wonderful storm system known as Alex so I'm sure we'll be drying out the basement till fucking October way things are going.

The earwigs suck as always. All this fucking heavy rain has given us a surplus of the fucking annoying creatures and they tend to be in places that you wouldn't think they would be at. Microwave? The Freezer? Inside my box of toilet paper? Gotta note from a classmate of mine, Ken Carsner whose smirking from arizona, Rain? What Rain? If there was any justice out there, the monsoon season would pay him a visit with about three inches of rain in a hour and see if he likes to dry out his house, or have a scorpion or black widow pay him a visit. But then again it's hard to sip a margarita when the sun's blazing down on you with 100 degree temps. For my fate, I would perfer sun and dryness rather than 21 days of fucking rain in June. Sure in the fuck better not be 21 days of rain in July, otherwise I'll be back out in the desert once again.

It sucks to be a fan of the Chicago Cubs but geez what about the Blackhawks who won the Stanley Cup and then preceded to have a fire sale and got rid of everybody? Guess some can't handle winning eh?

For the last of the folk that still goes out for the new releases on New Release Tuesday, it's getting frustrating to go up to Best Buy only to find that they don't have any of the artists that I was looking for and had the latest Alejandro Escovedo album for 16.99 for fuck's sake. It's getting to the point that the music hunter has to rely on getting it from Amazon.com or go for that audio breakthrough that is MP3 or Digital Downloads. As much as Bob Lefsetz would tell you its the wave of the future, it's my duty to tell him I still perfer music in hand with liner notes, fuck off anyway. But we're not getting the reissues like we once did, Best Buy sucks when it comes to their CD section but Wal Mart's is much worse. With no record stores within walking distance I'm doomed to either do a road trip to Dubuque or Madison to get new music, or just stay at home and order from Collector's Choice Music, or Heartland or whatever Second Spin has in stock. I try not to do Iowa City, since the lights down there suck, it's hard to find a decent parking spot and FYE closed the only decent store they had in Coral Ridge. Since discovering Moondog in Dubuque, I find that better to go, since there is less traffic lights to piss you off and you don't have to contend with dumbfuck students at the U of I walking out in front of you after having a few too many beers or snorting nutmeg. I still enjoy going to the thrift stores or music stores to find something that I might like to listen. After all, 10,000 cds and albums are not enough for me. But I rather go to places that are easier to get to and Dubuque seems to fit my critera. And I'm sure the old hippie at Moondog's will have the new Alejandro Escovedo CD cheaper than 16 fucking 99 Best Buy.

If it wasn't for Half Priced Books here in town, Madison would be a every other month trip. With a town with no more mom and pop music stores I still am amazed of what is found in the clarence bins at HP Books. I know in the Michigan trip I badgered my GF to take me to a couple of FYEs and a couple choice music stores in Ann Arbor but as a music bargain hunter even a trip to see her relatives, also needed to curb my music fix by going to such stores. Basically the FYEs were not as good as the Coral Ridge Mall was and hard to wonder why Trans Union would close the one near Brownstown but keep the less attractive Taylor Mall one open but then again, FYE still has one open in Moline and I'm sure I'll find the Jordons Grove mall in Des Moines if and when I can stomach a trip to DM. Sure the clerks are pushy and they bother you more often then not but FYE I go to for one reason and that's of the fact that FYE does have a good used CD section and look hard enough you can find them. That's where I found The Undertones first CD, The New York Dolls In Too Much Too Soon and the first Tom Petty album. You'll never know what you find. And that's why when the AZ trip comes up, I'll be not only going to the FYE out in Tempe/Chandler/Mesa but the evil empire Hastings stores up northern arizona. The lure of CDs 2.99 or less. And the projection will be that I'll find about 30 to 50 Cds in those bins when I do go there.

And I am not the only one out there looking for that hard to find cd that nobody knows about or album. I've met a few at the local Goodwill. We're a dying breed, the men and women looking for record in hand. I can't drink anymore, nor have no desire to go out looking for a one nighter, too old to do that and simply just too old to go to those damn disco or rap bars. I live to find that last cd or album that i've been looking for but can't tell you what I 'm looking for but know it when I see it.

So be on the lookout for me. You might find me in the clarence bins.

And finally Robert Christgau liked The National and Dead Weather albums better than I did, Gave them A- and B+ in that order. I gave both a C+, whereas Them Crooked Vultures he gave a B-, I gave it a B+. Guess we won't be doing lunch anytime soon....

2 comments:

TAD said...

Crabby: U want some more rain? It's the friggin July 4th weekend & it's STILL raining here. It hasn't even gotten above 70 yet. We get 1 day of sun & 3 days of rain -- it's GOT 2 B the longest, coolest, rainiest Spring/Summer of ALL TIME. Global warming, my ass! I gotta get outta here, all these rainy overcast days R driving me CRAZY!!!!
Hope you're not the same.... -- TAD.

R S Crabb said...

Hey TAD, didn't know you moved to Iowa, when did ya get here *snickers*

Next to the infamous 1993 rainfest in July, June 2010 was the second wettest ever in this GD state and I tell you I have never hated rain as so much as I have in the last 2 years here. I have friends in AZ saying they would love rain, well they should move up here then. I'm still running a fan in the laundry room trying to get that dried up and it's been over a week. BTW, we finally had six straight days of no rain so we now in a drought ;)

It was 9 years ago that I was up in Seattle and would you believe it did not rained at all during that time I was there?