Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Top Ten Of The Week-Six Pack EP

FYE in Coral Ridge remains open if you can believe that. I thought they would have closed at the end of January but I guess they still got some stuff to sell. Only problem is that there's not much of good cds left. They have been picked apart clean but who knows? Maybe they will return with some fresh inventory and they're start up like they did before in March. Or maybe not.

The biggest joke I have read comes from the burned out light bulbs at Warner Music Group to introducing something called the six pack. Which is actually a 6 song EP of sorts. Coming soon will be Blake Shelton's Hillbilly Bone with five other tracks. It's still an EP idiots, you think Edgar Broftman would be a bit smarter than that. Broftman also thinks people should spring five dollars a month just to hear Warner Music artists in the great net jukebox in the sky. Doesn't work that way for me Edgar bro. I think people hate the cd since you folks can't seem to master it right or give us 70 minites of crap, meaning one good song and 13 others that nobody wants.

Anyway, this week's top ten songs of note on my player. Not yours.

1. Wicked World-Black Sabbath 1970 And it was forty years ago that Black Sabbath came out of nowhere and gave us their first album, to which is was recorded in six hours and sounds like it. But that quick recording is also been noteworthy of giving us the first true heavy metal album. I remember hearing this on a bootleg 8 track that my nephew had when I visited them in Lincoln around 1971. Hard to believe it was forty years ago........

2. Bluff City Rukus-Porch Ghouls 2003 Not a lot is known about this band who managed to record one album for Columbia with Joe Perry co producing. A cross between The White Stripes and Primal Scream comes to mind but the rest of world could have cared less or if they did they went with the original sources.

3. Glamour Boys-Living Colour 1988 How do you expect me to remember the words of a song made 200 fucking years ago says Corey Glover on the 2005 live version and you gotta laugh about that. They still have a sense of humor that they do. But Living Colour may have been the last truly great black rock and roll band who struck gold with Livid and got Mick Jagger to produce two tracks off that album including this top ten number. I have yet to hear the CBGB's live album but will get around to it this weekend.

4. Long Long Time-Vufcup 2010 New track from my good friend Diggy Kat and can be found on the new Songs That Made An Impact 2010 CD that just came out with includes a track from The Townedgers and 25 other bands of note. This might well be the best song that Diggy has come up to date and that's saying something.

5. Asteroid-Killing Joke 2003 Also found on their 2006 2 Record set XXV Gathering-Let Us Prey. I tend to favor the KJ that reunited in 1994 and preceded to get better with each recording, rather then their gothic dance trance of the mid 80s. Dave Grohl guest starred on their 2003 S/T album to which was picked up by Epic Records and they couldn't quite figure out how to sell it. Jaz Coleman's bellows isn't for everybody but damn when he does that bellow I enjoy it a lot.

6. Killer-Van Der Graaf Generator 1970 Never heard anything off this till TAD did a write up about them in his blog and so being the music head that I am, decided to check it out once I found a copy of their stuff. Peter Hamill has a voice like David Bowie and Robert Fripp guests on one track of H To E Who Am The Only One album. One of the earliest prog rock albums known but Jim DeRogatis hardly mentions them in his Kaleidoscope Eyes book to which I have been reading off and on the past week. Could have swore I heard this track off an underground FM station in the 70s.

7. Why I Am-Dave Matthews Band 2009 Never been much of a DMB fan and the best quote came from Futurama when somebody mentioned that they don't rock. Found a pawnshop copy of their latest CD for 3 bucks and it wasn't scratched up so decided to chance it. Surprisingly good. Might be this generation's version of prog rock ya think?

8. Do The Bane-The Stablilisers 2007 Dedicated to my good friend Tim that I ran into Best Buy last weekend and we talk about what was good music in this decade which is not much. Tim used to be into punk rock and all that but as he's getting older he's getting wiser. He was looking for the first Little Feat album. Times have changed indeed.

9. Never Enough-KISS 2009 Yeah I still listen to KISS what about it? After years of dicking around, the guys actually went back to their silly rock and roll of the early years and made a pretty good album in the silly rock and roll vein called Sonic Boom. Sure it's cheesy but it's got the riffs and words to remember those good old high school years when a few folk in my class dressed up like KISS and lip sync to Shout It Out Loud. Too bad they didn't have You Tube back then to see that ;-)

10. House That We Used To Live In-The Smithereens 1988 Before they became a tribute band to The Beatles and The Who, they actually scored some hits of their own. Used to get played a lot on MTV when they were showing music videos. Remember that? Remember 120 minites? I do but that may have been long before some of you were even born. I think they called it alternative prog rock ;-)

I made that one up.

1 comment:

TAD said...

Crabby! Well, I survived Van der Graaf & have even gone back 4 2nd's w/ PAWN HEARTS, still like their sax & organ sounds & can even stand mosta Pete Hammill's singing....
& U're reading Jim DeRogatis?! I've pretty much given up on him, even tho there R some good things in KALEIDOSCOPE EYES. His whole "If U're American, U can only do Good Strange Music if U come from a punk/new-wave/insanity background" Attitude pissed me off, along w/ his dismissal of almost all Art Rock. But I liked the history of Krautrock & Can & XTC & Amon Duul II & Wire & some other stuff. I just think if U're gonna cover the work U needta COVER IT. Bsides, his book coulda bn 2wice as long....
The sun is out here & I'm feeling a little better. Hope U R the same. Hang in there! -- TAD.