Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Top Ten Of The Week-Songs That Made An Impact Past, Present And Future

A lot on my plate in terms of music this week.  Looks like April is going to be one of the better months in terms of new music.  Keith Urban, Queensryche, Neil Young, Bob Dylan are just some of the artists that have new albums out and if you're reading this Bob Lefsetz to which I sure you're not, I still buy albums and haven't turned into a mutant yet.

This month also kicks off the local option one cent tax into your purchases in Cedar Rapids and supposedly it's for the flood relief. And of course the Tax bastards want Marion and Hiawatha and the rest that voted no to revote on May 5th.  What part of no don't these Taxacrats understand?  Thankfully Half Priced Books have a Marion address but not Best Buy which is why I stocked up on some new music Tuesday.  So far, I like the new Queensryche American Soldier album (I think it's their best ever, don't know if Isabella would agreed with that but since she's not of this world anymore I guess she'll have to listen to it in the great beyond.  The Keith Urban album plays it too safe although his last album before the best of was his best but so far it's a three star album and should appease his fans. Yeh, I'm at a loss why Keith hasn't crossed over to the MOR side of things (perhaps it's the banjos) but if it was 1989, Keith would be heard on Mix 96.5.  Defying Gravity might more than make up that song he did with Brad Paisley however.  Nothing against Brad Paisley, super guitar player but he still does way too many sappy songs and not enough drinking songs.  Keith is bit more music and fan friendly.  But what do I know?  People don't listen to critics anyway.  Blogging is just a waste of cyberspace.

The Top Ten Of The Week is as follows

1.  Strange Days-The Doors 1967  As we grow older it's hard to believe that the music we all listen to back in our grade school years are now over 40 years old.  Is today's generation going to come up with anything from the likes of Jimi Hendrix or Jim Morrison or The Beatles?  I donno, but I continue to listen to the new music of today and hope something sticks out.  I sure wish somebody would overhaul radio cuz it's radio is dead in the water and is stinking to high heaven.  I get carpel tunnel just pushing the buttons on the radio trying to find something I can listen to without being overwhelmed by crappy modern rock or shitty rap on top forty.

2.  I'm Tired-Savoy Brown 1969  Beaker Street played this song Sunday night and got me to seek out the best of and play this forgotten 45.  I do have the 45, brought it at a garage sale way back in the early 70s.  Why doesn't classic rock radio open up the archives and play songs like this?

3.  Mule Train-Tennessee Ernie Ford 1949  An Americana classic from six decades ago. Still sounds vital as ever today.  I don't hear country in this but I heard echoes of The Blasters and Rank And File although Tony And Chip Kinman of RAF are trying to do something like Mule Train in the form of Cowboy Nation.  I think I prefer them as Rank And File and prefer Tennessee Ernie Ford of Mule Train over the Gospel songs he did.  Just a matter of choice that's all.

4.  Why's It Feel So Long-Keith Urban 2009  I'm playing the new Keith Urban album and swore that I have heard this song on KHAK while flipping through channels.  Sounds like all the songs off Defying Gravity have been played on the radio.  Or is the fact that they are tailored made for radio?  The next song I'm In, was done by Radney Foster. Hell, I shouldn't review albums while compiling top tens, makes me lose my place and concentration.

5.  Sitting On The Sun-The Artful Dodger 2008
6.  Don't Cut, Baby-Vufcup 2009

Two cuts from the new compilation download called Songs That Made An Impact, lovingly put together with care by Diggy Kat.  He's been working around the clock to promote this and get the word out on the lesser known bands who you would only hear on the underground radio and net stations.  Vufcup is Diggy's personal band and on this one he howls and screams and punk rocks on.  It's always fun to see where Diggy goes from here.  The songs keep getting better and better.  Gotta dig the backward ending on this one. 

7.  Be My Salty Dog-The Blue Rags 1997  Ragtime blues from a North Carolina band that got signed to Sub Pop, which made them stick out like a sore thumb but I always love their debut Rag N Roll to which I bought at Alter Ego, when Erin was still selling cds.  Got to see The Blues Rags at Gabe's in 1998 and they put on a great show although the guitar player Woody, tripped over my size 14 feet on the way to the stage.  Rag N Roll still remains one of the best albums in the late 90s.  Seek and find it.

8.  Hard Drivin Man-J. Geils Band 1970  Centerfold may have scarred them for life but 10 years before J.Geils was a hardcore blues and boogie band.  I perfer their Atlantic years of the early 70s up to Full House, their 1973 Blastfest recorded in the Motor City.  They also made an impression on the pub rockers at that time, Eddie And The Hot Rods does a smokin version of this song in 1977.  Glad MTV gave them their fortune but their fame was already established on this rocker.

9.  It Ain't Easy/Rock And Roll-Detroit With Mitch Ryder 1971  The Fox actually played Rock And Roll one snowy night that made me almost lose control of the car with total surprise that The Fox could play such a forgotten number.  They must have misplaced The Joker.  Detroit was a super Detroit Band with Johnny Bee hooking up with Steve Hunter who would go join Lou Reed on the Rock and Roll Animal album.  Plus WR Cooke, who was a one time Amboy Duke but the vocalist was none other than Mitch Ryder trying to make a comeback after a solo career that wasn't going anywhere.  Detroit made one album for Paramount and then fizzled. Mitch Ryder was on top of his game here, screaming like never before, as if the Detroit Wheels never happened.  For fun and games, call the FOX 100.7 up and request Rock And Roll but with Detroit and not Lou Reed and see what kind of reaction you will get.  MCA reissued this on CD in 1988 and also the record to which I didn't think existed till Tom Woodruff gave me his record collection and this was tucked away somewhere in the middle of all that vinyl.

10.  The House Of The Rising Sun-Frijid Pink 1970  Another one hit wonder from another Detroit band that made one good debut for Parrot and three other turds for various labels.  This was their shining moment, a heavy metal version of The Animals and a folk classics of said song.  What annoys me is that the 45 is a three and half minite edit, another reason why singles suck back when we had 45s.  Way too many edits and not enough complete versions. B Side was Drivin Blues, a fast boogie number that I used to play a lot when Ole's Ham And Egger had a jukebox.  Somehow the 45 master was louder than the album.  I always wanted to play it live in my band.  Anyway House Of The Rising Sun did find its way to a cheap compilation that Polygram/Rebound put out but the Frijid Pink album was never reissued on CD in the USA.  Repertoire Records in Germany reissued it and added two non album cuts as bonus numbers.  One was Heartbreak Hotel which was their last top 100 showing and something called Music For The People which made top 60 but I'd never heard it on the radio.  And may never will.


Bonus Cut-Lemmings by Darcy (Taken from Songs That Made An Impact)

Here at RS Crabb and the Bargain Hunters Network and radio, I try to promote the songs that are played on my player.  If I don't play it, it's not on the top ten.  I know DJ Scorpia and her radio station and the folks at Brown Dog Radio do their best to get the word out. If radio was like it was forty years ago, I'd say a lot of bands would have broke regionally if not national simply of the fact that before corporate the new music was fresh and exciting. Forty years ago the coporations were taken over anyway but in the case of Steve Ross and Warner buying Atlantic and later Elektra he was still willing to give bands three or four albums to develop and grow.  Unlike today to which a band usually gets one shot and that's it.  Songs That Made An Impact will not take over such established crapfest as Now That's What I Call Music (From Corporate Know nothings) and it's a given that all bands won't give up their day jobs but this is a compilation made by a music fan for music fans out there to listen and enjoy.  There are no corporate strings whatsoever, just music from musician who want to make fun music and get the word out.  And Diggy Kat has worked his butt off by promoting this via emails and ads.  Here's hoping it pays out for him.

And for those in the Madison area, guess who's coming up to pay you a visit and to check out your bargain bins at your HP Book Store?

A Final thought from Robert Christgau on why we continue to buy albums, even in a age that the album format is dying.

The album is dying, we are told, and sure it's fallen on hard times. I keep listening anyway because aesthetically the long-form hasn't worn out, and right now I'm feeling evangelical about it.  RC

And so do I...RSCrabb