Friday, September 20, 2013

Singles Going Steady Part 14-Finds From Davenport

I don't expect people to really seek out the forgotten 45s of the past but since I'm so good at finding them, I figured it was time to bring you another edition of the award winning series of the 7 inch platters of long ago and far away.  And ya know, 45's from 50 years ago and beyond, some still sound as good as ever, provided that they been taken care of.  I'm often asked what provokes me into seeking these things out in the first place, and I guess it's a odd way of me of reconnecting with the past and making a beeline to the record section at the old Arlan's or Woolworth's and even K Mart, now that they are closing the one in town.  I still have some 45s that I got for 67 cents up there for the top 30.  But that was so long ago, KMart quit selling them about 20 years ago.  The uniqueness of making trips to malls with Sam Goody or Musicland and their big collection of 45s but in reality, I kinda quit buying them around 1985 since the record plastic made was recycled and it has a shitty sound and poor life if you played the record too much.

And for about 15 years I didn't buy much vinyl, since I was into CDs, a reversal that I did when I proclaimed in 1987 that I would never buy those overpriced CDs whatsoever but the Direct Metal Mastering vinyl of the late 80s was so distorted and crappy sounding, that I decided that perhaps it was time to get into the now.  But since buying a Technics Turntable at Best Buy in 2004 that I begin to once again started buying vinyl records from the cheap bins or what was at The Salvation Army or Goodwill.

I used to report of what I found for 45s at Half Priced Books, then all of a sudden the hoarder in me started buying them all over again and most of the recent stuff that I found have been jukebox copies and a lot of them I donated back since they were too scratchy.  Last year 2012 turned out to be a banner year of finding 45s that I didn't take much stock of this year, and most of the time Goodwill or The Salvation Army was hit and miss, or somebody bought a box of records in, without sleeves and most looking like they got picked off the interstate.  I don't usually buy those although a couple years ago I picked up a G- 45 of Link Wray's Jack The Ripper as a curio or as I call them a reference copy, meaning a record so badly damanged you only get it for looks or frame it.   But on my weekend getaway to the Quad Cities, I figured I pay a visit to the Salvation Army and see what they had.  And Davenport store had a few interesting things in the bins, all had record jackets and even one was a 29 cent special from Sutton Records, some outlet that specialized in records off the charts and nobody wanted.  Even back in the 60s I knew what to look for and still have my well worn copies of Jimi Hendrix, Steppenwolf and The Doors.  And many many others.

So here we are again folks, you get to hear me toot my horn on the latest installment of 45s found at Davenport and some from the Mad City excursion.



1.  The Doctor-Doobie Brothers 1989 (Capitol B-44376)  Amazing how well and how high this record charted in 1989, it reached number 9 and had that guitar hook that let you know it was the Doobies, somewhat like a rewrite of China Grove but it still remains a fun listen all through these years.  They had this on the jukebox at that time and I'd play it a few times, it even was heard at DeSoda's the old meet market that I used to hang out at around 1990.  Sad to say that Cycles, the album it came from, the rest of the songs were kinda bland and forgettable. Brotherhood, the followup LP was a little bit better.



2.  My Ship Is Comin' In-The Walker Brothers 1966 (Smash S-2016)  Sandwiched between their biggest hits Make It Easy On Yourself and The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore was this record that made it to number 63 on the chart.  The Walker Brothers are the UK's answer to The Righteous Brothers and although critics fall over themselves to praise Scott Walker and his albums after The Walker Brothers broke up, I find his stuff a bit bombastic and pompous as well.  Don't recall ever hearing this on the radio although this song isn't bad.



3.  Disappear-INXS 1990 (Atlantic 7-87784)  The last of the top ten hits for this band, this made number 8 on the charts.  I actually like their earlier stuff better than the late 80 hits (The One Thing and Don't Change are still awesome) which Mike Hutencene was trying his best to be Mick Jagger Jr.  Thought that Kick was overrated but thought X was better.  But I think I was in the minority of that one.



4.  Ohio-Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (Atlantic 45-2740) 1970  I'm sure this was a single that I overlooked while going to the record stores of yore but found this at the St Vincent De Paul Thift Store in Madison last month.  Of course some dipshit ended up putting a damn drill bit hole on the record right before the beginning of this song (when you bought those cheap records from Woolworth's back then, usually the drill hole was on the label itself) but there's a way to position the needle so you don't hit the hole.  The 45 mono mix of this song is not all that great sounding, the vinyl LP was better but this remains one of the most powerful songs that Neil Young ever written.  Of course, my old bar band Paraphernalia used to play this live when we played live....which wasn't too often but I thought we did a nice version although the arrangement was way too short and not enough jamming, but enough of me.



5.  Oh My Surprise-Batdorf & Rodney (Atlantic 45-2850)  1971  I came across John Batdorf on my old My Space site and he was bombarding me to listen to his music even though I have no connection to any major label, hell I was just a music collector with an eye for the lesser known.  Nevertheless his solo stuff is quite listenable but I kinda forgotten him over the years since I don't do My Space anymore since the fuckers deleted all of my blogs over there.  But I have found his albums with Mark Rodney on various labels (Arista, Atlantic, Asylum to which the Asylum and Atlantic albums got reissued via Collector's Choice but now are out of print and command big bucks).  Their first album on Atlantic is typical folk rock of that era and a bit uneven, I do like the Asylum album a lot and the Arista album isn't too bad either although I don't believe it's on CD but the LP is easy to find.  Oh My Surprise was one of the highlights of the Atlantic album and the only time I found it on 45 is when I bought it.  Didn't chart.



6.  Warmed Over Kisses (Left Over Love)-Brian Hyland (ABC Paramount 45-10359)  1962  Another Brian Hyland ABC single that followed me home (as did Ginny Come Lately or for that matter The Joker Went Wild although I may have misplaced that single) he was a teen idol of sorts but made some decent music.  And of course has this distinction of having all of his labels from the past (Kapp, ABC, Phillips, Dot, Uni) fall under the banner of Universal, the evil empire record label everybody hates. This made it to number 25 on the charts and the last top 20 for ABC Paramount for Brian.  Dave Edmunds does a more cool rockabilly like number with this song I want you to know.



7.  The Captain Of Her Heart-Double (A&M AM 2838) 1986  A one hit wonder in 86, this reached number 16 but it really sounded cool on the radio back then.  The album was soft rock okay but somebody offered me 20 bucks for the CD.  So I took him up on his offer.



8.  Same Old Reason-Serendipity Singers (Phillips 40236)  1965  As a kid a long time ago, I was subjected to many types of music, some good, some great and some WTH were we thinking?  I suppose you can throw this folk chorale under the third example although I still find  Don't Let The Rain Come Down a guilty pleasure if the earworm of that song isn't eating away my brains.  In some ways, they were a more square version of the New Christy Minstrels but this song is something that a Gordon Lightfoot would have sang, it's pretty dark in nature and leaves you hanging at the end.  Another picture sleeve 45 of the past that I thought was worth preserving as a dust collector around here.  Didn't chart.



9.  Time And Again-Baxter Robertson (Atco 7-99277)  1988 For a relative unknown on the 45's market, Baxter Robertson has been a regular of sorts here in Singles Going Steady and the sole one returning from the last SGS series 1.3.  Somewhat of a new wave artist (I think), this was the second single from his Atco album Mere Mortals another dollar CD find.  Maybe someday I'll write a blog celebrating the life and times of this forgotten 80s artist if there's enough general interest.  Of course, this song didn't chart, why'd ya ask?



10.  Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye-The Vogues (Reprise 909)  1970  In the archives of what the hell happened to them, The Vogues had some nice pop rockers in You're The One and of course the garage rock Five O Clock World (although The Vogues were more pop vocal than rock when I think about it) but  when they arrived on Reprise, they ventured into The Lettermen territory with Dick Glasser picking the songs and Ernie Freeman arranging them.  Outside of the Five O Clock World, I have little use for The Vogues and the middle of the road muzak of Turn Around Look At Me or My Special Angel or Till but since this is a Leonard Cohen written song and it was on a 45 that was in presentable condition I figured it would be worth a listen and I think they did a good job covering this with Artie Butler's tasteful arrangement.  Record buyers didn't share that opinion, this record didn't chart, but it does close out on the CD version of Best Of The Vogues to which I'll leave that up to you dear reader to listen on your own time.  B Side is Over The Rainbow, a song that I couldn't finish listening to.  Not my idea of rock and roll. or muzak for that matter.

As always, chart positions of songs are used from this site: http://bullfrogspond.com/

45 single photos are from 45. Cat or Music Stack. http://www.musicstack.com/

http://www.45cat.com/



No comments: