Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Top Ten Of The Week-What ever It Is

This should bring in the ratings eh?
 

Bob Dylan may have been in a cranky mood when he did that Rolling Stone interview when people accused him of ripping off other artists as "wussies and pussies" but musicians have been doing that since the beginning of time.  I'm not like you he says and that's true for everybody.  I'm not like you either.  Take that for the good or bad.  http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/13/entertainment-us-bobdylan-plagiarism-idUSBRE88C00720120913


The Arizona trip is beginning to shape up finally.  Beginning with two days at Mesa at the old Motel 6, which was chosen simply of the fact that I was going to get there late Friday and not have time to really do much.  I'm hoping that they might have the Utah/ASU game but it's on Pac 12 Network we may have to show up at Sun Devil Stadium in front of many many folks.  Sunday, it's a traveling date up to the north country and then Fremont Street Vegas here I come.  I doubt if I'll be around much of a computer so whatever updates that come along will be a surprise.  Unless I stop at the Quality Inn in Kingman and check up on things.

In the meantime this top ten figures onto the bizarre and extreme.  Just the way you like it.

1.  I Save Cigarette Butts-P 1995  To which Gibby Hayes of the Butthole Surfers meets Johnny Depp.  Daniel Johnston wrote this and although I've heard of him have never checked out his music.  P is strangely weird in spots, noisier than Metal Music Music in others and not that much different than the Butthole Surfers.  The CD is a collector's item, one of a few cd's that Bob Schneider lended me to hear over the weekend.


2.  Julian H Cope-Julian Cope 1992  Cope is a headcase that sometimes borders on the dark side of bizarre and basically he's even more out there than Robyn Hitchcock.  St. Julian remains his classic album and the followup My Nation Underground was so mainstream that Cope disowned it.  But beginning with Peggy Suicide and Jehovahkill, Cope made no attempt to connect with pop world, basically throwing gobs of weird shit to make the songs more harder to take.  Autogeddon, I threw in the towel after hearing that but that record owes a lot Jehovahkill than St. Julian.   Badges, Badges?  We don't need stinking Badges!  This clip from a 2010 solo show. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjIKWwj_JZA

3.  Flyin' High-Z Z Top 2012  New ZZ Top album and basically my opinion of it hasn't changed since I wrote the review last week.  It still sounds lazy and tossed together but if radio decides to play anything off this that would be considered a single, this would be it.

4.  Lord Have Mercy On A Country Boy-Don Williams 1990  I was going to include this on a Singles Going Steady country 45s but since there was a lack of interest on that last posting I decided to hold off.  His new album And So It Goes is pure country that doesn't play on the stations today, too country and nothing about boom boom speakers and trucks.  Problem with country radio is same with other genres: the bean counters don't care for the old farts that made country music what it was in the 1970s and Williams was what you heard is what you get.  After the MCA hits dried up, Don moved to Capitol for a few but perhaps his underrated RCA period had some great tunes, such as this last top 20 hit for him in 1990. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvY8u0DHBdA


5.  Live Work & Play-The Sports 1979  Aussie New Wave band that made a couple of albums for Arista, Don't Throw Stones was one of those promotional albums that Steve Bray at Record Realm put out and I picked up without much knowledge of it.  They're best known for Who Listens To The Radio which got some airplay in 1979.  Down under, they were part of the Mushroom Records roster (along with The Angels, Jo Jo Zep, Split Enz and Hunters & Collectors) and I found their Don't Throw Stones CD at the pawnshop for a dollar.

6.  Gates Of Love-Circus Of Power 1990  Working in packaging brings out the crank in me more often and basically it has to do with the Cumulus owned crap stations we have here. KDAT and KRNA, the REAL rock station.  Bah!  KRNA's idea of real rock is Nevermind or Dirt or Appetite for Destruction  and of course they're also playing to death Green Day's Oh Love, which is used for Angry Birds too.  While people complain about Clear Channel, I bitch more about Cumulus' owned shit radio stations, KDAT soft rock boohah and KRNA's REAL rock, fuck you anyway Cumulus Corporate owned radio and your GD 400 songs of real rock.  What's real rock for you isn't real rock for me.  Case in point, Circus Of Power, whose bar band rock and roll was part of the real rock scene of  the late 80s and early 90s but while I didn't get the first album, I did buy Vices, the now forgotten 2nd album that BMG pulled a couple weeks afterwards and most copies went straight into the bargain bins.  This song does borrow a bit of  Black Dog and  Still Of The Night but KRNA will not play Circus Of Power regardless.  The Cumulus Braintrust don't think it's real rock.  Fuck them anyway with a cactus up the keyster.


7.  Loser-Beck 1994  Another of Bob's favorites, he loves Beck Hansen, I can tolerate bits and pieces of him at times although when Mellow Gold came out, I dismissed it right off the bat.  But over the years Mellow Gold has grown upon my ears just like XTC did and Wire did, all bands I thought was a piece of crap till multiple plays kinda got me hooked.  KRNA is known to play Loser to which I never get the words right when I sing it.  Improvised verse: Don't expect no miracle, I'm a Loser baby, So why don't ya just blow me?  Mike dared me to sing it during a karaoke showcase of his and I sprung the improvised verse on and almost got thrown out of the Sip and Stir.  This fucking town has no sense of humor.

8.  Hear My Train A Comin-Jimi Hendrix 1968 but came from The Jimi Hendrix Concerts 1984  Funny thing back then that Warner/Reprise would issue Jimi outtakes throughout the 70s and although most of it suggested the direction Jimi would take, the basis of me was trying to save up the money to buy the live stuff, and there's plenty of live Hendrix out there nowadays.  Experience Hendrix through Legacy has reissued the MCA stuff and for the most part, issued concerts of certain shows (Winterland, Fillmore, Woodstock come to mind)   This song is from the Winterland October 10 concert and like the majority of songs from that which made the original Concerts, the Winterland show was very loud and Hendrix was playing loud guitar. While some say another live version that made the Rainbow Bridge soundtrack of 1971 to be definite, I disagree.  To each their own. I suppose.  Side note: had two copies of the Reprise CD of the concerts and both were poorly mastered, Foxy Lady which was the bonus track skipped on both but somehow the folks at Castle Communications reissued this in the UK and I found a copy and it plays fine.



9.  Circles-Eddie And The Hot Rods 1979  No you didn't hear this on the radio, it was off the import album Thriller that Island didn't bother to issue in the US.  The Hot Rods were a pub band that got limped into the punk rock scene but they were more R and B based than the can't play at all noise of the Pistols or the Damned but Teenage Depression and Life On The Line remain the albums to get from this band.  Thriller was more desperate sounding and a bid for the BBC radio I suppose since the late Linda McCartney sang on some of the songs off that album.  Life On The Line was either found as a cut out at the old Krackers store or maybe one of the first albums I ever bought at BJ's in Iowa City but I do know that I got the import Thriller at Record Realm.  And Steve Bray always had one of the best selection of music at that fondly remembered store.

 

10.  Sacrifice/Let There Be Peace-Bob Mould 1990.  Well I guess I have been in a 90s mood judging that 6 of the 10 selections submitted come from that era.  Mould does have a new album out but he's been a love/hate thing for me, loved his Husker Du years, the Virgin era gave us three albums, one was mostly acoustic, the second one raging alternative noise/rock and the third a album that borrowed from both albums and some bonus cuts and felt like a waste before Mould formed Sugar a band that made a bunch of albums and EPs for Rykodisc, most you can find in the dollar bins but Merge Records reissued them this year in 2 CD formats.  And then the new album to which reviews have been the usual praise good but it's not something high on my list to hear.  So we end this from the final cut from Black Sheets Of Rain, noise, anger and Anton Fier bashing cymbals left and right.  Anger is an energy.

Five more for the road:

Lounge Act-Nirvana 1991
Apple-Mondo Drag 2010
Speedball-Manitoba's Wild Kingdom 1990
Ain't Nothing But A House Party-J. Geils Band 1973
Goin Home-Rolling Stones 1966

Somehow I had 5 pictures that disappeared on me and for the second time in a row.  What I don't like about this is that when you lose pictures they lose the meaning of the paragraph.  Since this is an archival thingy, it's not worth the effort to replace the pictures.  So be it.