Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Top Ten Of The Week-The 1994 Edition

Going through the archives, I came across the very first blog that I ever did.  Originally done on August 23, 1994.  At that time I was getting my information through Billboard.  At that time I was trying to impress somebody at Relics that I could be a music writer, or maybe it was some freebie music newspaper in CR.  They were not impressed.

Hello People,

This is a new attempt by yours truly to find some valuable means of wasting time and pick up a new hobby at the same time reporting to you the state of music today.  Maybe your local underground newspaper will pick this up as one of their special features but I seriously doubt that.

My name is R. Smith and I'm a music collector and lover.  You have probably seen me as a standard fixture at Relics in Cedar Rapids, I'm usually the dude that hovering over the CD section bugging the hell out of Jerry or manning the cash register while he goes to the bathroom.  I guess I consider myself a part part timer.  I buy lots of music up there, lots of promo copies of stuff that wouldn't sell and what I want to do with this feature is to review the new releases that come into the store.  Remember it's my opinion and it's not the end of the world if you don't agree with me if I don't like it.  I may just get bored and hang it up a week or two later since that's what I'm good for, start something and then put it on the back burner.  It may take time for me to get the hang of things but bare with me.  We might be on to something.

For a review I submit to you The Counting Crows-August And Everything After (DGC).  Mr. Jerry Scott called this record to my attention since he kept playing it all the time.  Robert Christgau calls this record over hype, but I don't think it is.  The Counting Crows really didn't take off until a performance on the should be canceled Saturday Night Live to which VH1 played Mr Jones to death and the radio stations followed suit.  Adam Durwitz, the freaky looking rasta looking dude has a voice like Van Morrison, which might suggest that they will be a band to be around for years to come.  I thought they sounded like what The Band would sound like had Van been the lead singer, quite a compliment but Durwitz' higher pitched whine makes this album expandable.  Still with better songs like Time And Time Again and the Rain King, tailor made for AOR radio it still deserves it's place in classic rock. It's been in the Billboard's top ten most of the year and is recommended for those who can find it used.  And you will.  It's a B minus

I've seen Rolling Stone give the new Neil Young Sleeps With Angels (Reprise)  five stars but when I first heard it, I wasn't exactly bowed over with excitement.  However repeated listens revealed some of his most personal work to date, especially the title track dedicated to Kurt Cobain who decided to blow his head off six months after In Utero.  But for a Crazy Horse album it's more subdued except for the feedback laden title track, the hilarious Piece Of Crap directed at QVC and their Made in China crap and the fifteen minute loose jam of Change Your Mind, which is half interesting and goes on too long.  But it's mostly the simple beauty of Train Of Love (although Western Hero uses the same melody) and A Dream That Can Last, or the depressing Safeway Cart and the senseless killing of a innocent bystander in Drive By.

In the 90s Neil Young Has made some of the most startling music of the era and all are worth listening to, except for the 34 minute feedback extravaganza that is Arc Weld. But Sleeps With Angels is a major statement;  it's mellow where it should be, it rocks when it wants to and if it wants to get sloppy, you get Change Your Mind.  It's Neil Young as we know and love, unpredictable.  Long may you run Neil
Grade A-

My Top Ten Of The Week of 8/23/94

1.  Longview-Green Day
2.  You-Candlebox
3.  Found Out About You-Gin Blossoms
4.  I Go Wild-Rolling Stones
5.  Got No Shame-Brother Cane
6.  Goodbye-The Sand Rubies
7.  Incomplete-Bad Religion
8.  Cut Your Hair-Pavement
9.  Piece Of Crap-Neil Young And Crazy Horse
10.Heterosexual Man-The Odds

Well it's about time for me to throw this turkey in the oven.  But next week I'll be back to review the brand new REM Monster album and the long awaited Rolling Stones album Voodoo Lounge.


2 comments:

TAD said...

Crabby: Love it! More from the archives!
But of course you realize that Candlebox's "You" is listed twice in your Top 10....

R S Crabb said...

Shit! I don't like that song that much to put it in twice. Time for a quick add on.!