Sunday, July 22, 2012

Madison Bargain Hunt In The Summer

Everything is brown up there.

You think that things are bleak here in Iowa, anyplace you look up in Madison is brown or dirt.  Needless to say the drought is bigtime.  However the 100 temps never made it up there, it was cloudy most of the day Saturday and it rained Sunday Morning but I managed to scour most if not all the places that still had CDs although the Pawn America finds were spotty but most of the time I was dodging somebody's brat riding a bike inside the pawnshop.  Another brat screaming and carrying on while his stupid parents continued to ignore him was at the East Side Half Priced Books.

I did managed to find some 45s, (about 20 of them go figure and most were found at the St Vincent De Paul on Williamson Street) and a couple of dollar albums (Joe Walsh, Smoker You Drink, Blood Sweat and Tears Child Is Father To The Man) but I did find a DJ copy of Brownsville Station's No BS for WB for 13 bucks.

I did try to bid on The Tempest rare 45 Look Away but came up a dollar short on the bidding which pissed me off.  You hope if you get outbid it's not a crappy assed dollar and if I was around a computer I would have bumped the price up just to make the winning bid pay a bit more.  But I have enough things to listen to.

I didn't have a good time up there, I tried but unfortunely some biker tried to wipe me out while I was out bike riding for a change.  Fucking blind curves.  However, there were times at Mad City Music X that they had plenty of people in there to browse.  When I got back to the motel I founded out that I didn't pack any underwear so had to go next door to Goodwill to pick some up.

Found some CDs of note at Pre Played as well as the complete Texan Series but the guy in his haste to try to find the Killing Joke cd forgot to put in the Poco Head Over Heels one, so had to make a special trip back over there the next day.

For hot and steamy weather, it stayed away the two days I was up there but once I got back home the 95 degree temps welcomed me back.  And another screaming kid at some Mexican place in Dubuque.  I seem to attract them no matter where I go.  I'm sure they'll be waiting for me on the third and final trip later in the year.

Overall a good bargain hunt but could have been much better.

The 45's will be on a later Singles Going Steady Segment.  But in the meantime, albums and CDs

What was found:
Dennis Wilson-Pacific Ocean Blue (Platteville Goodwill)
Jay Ferguson-Thunder Island (Moondog Music)
Hot Tuna-America's Choice (Moondog Music)
Joey Ramone-Ya Know (Pre Played-Madison)
Poco-Head Over Heels (Pre Played-Madison)
Camel-Breathless (Strictly Discs-Madison)
Soft Machine 2 (Strictly Discs-Madison)
Little Feat-Rooster Blues (Strictly Discs-Madison)
George Clinton-TAPOAFOM (Goodwill-Madison East)
Black Uhuru-Iron Storm (Mad City Music X)
Teenage Shutdown-Get A Move On (HP Books-Madison East)
DLR Band (HP Books-Madison East)

Pawn America Dollar Cds:

Ocean Colour Scene
Steely Dan-Gaucho
Dan Fogelberg-The Wild Places
Inspiral Carpets-The Best Inside
Dan Kibler

Albums Galore:
Blood Sweat & Tears-Child Is Father To The Man
HUB-Cheat'a
Joe Walsh-Smoker You Drink, Player You Get
Brownsville Station-No BS
New Riders Of The Purple Sage-Who Are These Guys
Loggins & Messina-Best Of Friends
The Richard Holly Band-I'm Lost Between Love And The Open Road

1 comment:

drewzepmeister said...

The entire SE corner Of Wisconsin is suffering from a severe drought. The grass is burnt and lawn mowers are useless. It has been so dry around here that many communities either postponed or abandoned their July 4th firework displays out of fear of brush fires. Hell, I've only seen a half hour of rain in the last two months. It's worst I've seen...