Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Top Ten Of The Week-Leap Day And RIP Davy Jones

76 Views in a hour?  That should put a bump up on the ratings.  Thanks to all that helped out.

Don't mind comments but getting a bit tired of the spammers.

Some news of note: Vince Gill is exiting MCA Nashville after 23 years and countless albums.  Lyle Lovett has handed in his last album for Curb/Universal.  Roy Estrada, convicted child molester will spent 25 years in jail for his third offense, which means he'll be 93 when he gets out.  That is if he lives that long.  Pretty pathetic for a guy highly regarded in The Mothers Of Invention and Little Feat will be a poor judgement and become a pedophile.  He's lost my respect. Forever.

So here it is, that rare top ten that comes every four years and then some.  A leap year top ten.

1.  Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get-The Dramatics 1971  Soul music of the late 60s and early 70s was the best, before rap reared its ugly head and pretty much killed black music as we know it.  Certainly there was rap back in the 70s, in the spirit of The Last Poets which could make NWA sound tame in comparison, Yep that's debatable I guess but The Dramatics was super soul that made records for Stax/Volt and although most of their music really didn't appeal to me, I do dig this top ten hit from them in May of 1971.  Had a decent followup with In The Rain.

2.  22 Days Is Too Long-Adam Hood 2009  Pete Anderson produced this twangster in 2009 and had a minor country hit with this song.  Anything that is produced by Pete Anderson is always worth listening to, after all he produced Dwight Yoakam till they had a following out around 1999.  Anderson plays a mean slide guitar on this one.

3.  The Promised Land-Bruce Springsteen 1978  New Bruce comes out next week and I guess it's his most angriest album since Darkness On The Edge Of  Town and perhaps Bruce can be angry.  After all he lost the big man on Sax last year and it's hard to replace a legend.  I donno, I wasn't that impressed with We Take Care Of Our Own so I went back to Darkness.....for the fun of it.  Again, future record head Jimmy Iovine gave a shitty mix to this album, even the new remasters didn't get the muck out of the mix.  Still a hard album for me to listen to all the way.  Sometimes I do.

4.  Chase (from midnight express)-Giorgio Moroder 1978  Midnight Express the movie got some great music from Donna Summer's choice producer and Moroder been studying his Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream on this 8:46 song, which was released as a disco extended mix which I used to have.  I don't consider this a true disco song, if that's the case, then Tangerine Dream is a disco band too.

5.  Money Love Time-Dash Rip Rock 1989  They were wilder than anything that came from Louisiana when Fred LeBlanc and Billy Davis played together and Ace Of Clubs was their peak record, LeBlanc leaving to form Cowboy Mouth which was a term off Johnny Ace, another track from Ace Of Clubs.  Have to agree in the facet of life, I think I rather have more time than love or money, the last two you can replace and get, time you don't.  A drawback of living on Earth.

6.  Without You-The Doobie Brothers 1973  Ya know I'm sick of China Grove, I'm sick of Black Water, I'm sick of Listen To The Music and I also sick of Takin It To The Streets.  Classic rock radio will forever shove those tracks down our throats but once in a while The Fox will play this B side to Long Train Runnin' another overplayed song.  One of the very rare occasions that the Doobies could really rock out with the boogie too.  You'll be happy to know that Chicago will be touring with the Doobies this summer and both bands will sit in on some numbers, one won't be Without You but I'll keep a open mind.

7.  Since You Broke My Heart-The Searchers 1964   I should pay more attention to what I have in my collection.  Between stacks, I had The Complete Collection Of The Searchers, which came out on Castle years ago and I can't recall where I picked this up (probably the Madison Goodwill but don't know).  This is a cover of the Everly Brothers B side to Let It Be Me.

8.  I Can't Figure You Out-The Gin Blossoms 1996  A failed hit but not so much a failure that I heard this on Goodwill Radio when I was up there last weekend.  They never recovered from Doug Hopkins' death musicwise but they still make decent albums but time has passed them by on the radio.  I still love them.

9.  Weed Bus-The Stairs 1992  Pointless to tell you about these UK garage rockers but they sound like they loved The Choclate Watch Band, The Leaves and 60's garage rock.  They took it to a point to record their album in mono which wasn't cutting edge but rather a nod to the past of monaural recording.  A one and done album but basically there are still UK bands that record that way.  Len Price 3 comes to mind.

10.  Into The Void-Black Sabbath 1971   I really don't see anything good coming out of the usual will they or will they not get back together to record a new album and do a tour with the original lineup.  Bill Ward isn't happy the way he's being treated.  And Sharon Osborne that there will be a Sabbath show in the US but I'm guessing Ward won't be a part of it.  Such a shame really, if Van Halen and David Lee Roth can bury the hatchet and make a great comeback album why not the original Sabs?  So I guess in the meantime we'll have to settle for this album cut that some airplay on the radio in the early 70s.  Classic rock radio or whatever that is KRNA thinks they only made one album Paranoid and that's the only album they ever play which pisses the masses off.  Always thought Masters Of Reality was the better of the two and Volume 4 came very close.  As they say, in the case of Bill Ward, pay the man.

 PS
Urgent is the cause for Mick Jones to go to the hospital to take care of some health issues.  Jerry Gaskill of King's X is recovering from a heart attack.

Davy Jones, who was the cute Monkee who all the girls loved has passed away from a heart attack at age 66.   We don't certainly get many folk passing away on Leap Day but Jones might be the more famous.  The Monkees have been touring off and on (without Mike Nesmith who's retired from the biz) but without Davy Jones charisma and charm, The Monkees will be missing a very important part of their band.  They should be in the hall of fame.  Get your head out of your ass Jann Wanner, induct The Monkees.

2 comments:

TAD said...

Hey Crabby: As usual, you R all over the spammer situation -- I got 77 views all at once around 7 pm Tues too -- I hate it when they do that....
Yeah, Louis Jordan's BEST OF on MCA's got some great stuff on it. I wouldn't say every 1's a winner, but a lot of it is really hilarious & the playing & energy level's pretty great. I think my all-time fave is "Barnyard Boogie," but there's at least 1/2adozen more that'R CLASSIC. Really worth the $$$.
& of course I remember The Dramatics. Wonder why they didn't do any more wild stuff like "What'cha See is What'cha Get"...?

R S Crabb said...

Hey TAD

Guess we should be thankful for the spike in viewership but nobody seems to comment much outside of you or Drew or Starman. It will probably be my 3rd most viewed month but sometimes I wish those viewers would make a music comment outside of touting spam.

Louis Jordan played in the big band era & some of his band era songs are the sound of the times. It Joe Jackson's Jumpin Jive album that got me to research and buy The Best Of Louis and as a starter it serves its purpose although if I compiled a best of it would be more uptempo and novelty numbers. Back in those days I think they called them mix tapes too. The Proper 4 CD Jivin With Jordan is fun stuff although it may provide too much overkill for the casual fan. But then again I only paid 8 bucks for the whole thing, guy at the HP Book store was tired of looking at it gathering dust.

I had the Best Of The Dramatics but outside of Whatcha See and In the rain, the rest was kind of boring R&B that The Dells did as well. They had their fans for that type of Quiet Storm romantic stuff. Me, it just put me to sleep.