Saturday, February 11, 2012

Crabb Bits: Whitney Houston, Jeff Higgins, Cannabis Sativa Revisited

Whitney Houston was found dead in a motel room yesterday, she was 48. 

I am not a big Whitney Houston fan but she did have a great singing voice.  Daughter to Cissy Houston of The Sweet Inspirations, Whitney hit it big on her 1986 debut album which had her big hit Saving My Love For You.  And then followed it up with a 1987 album called Whitney and had another hit with I want To Dance With Somebody.  She married Bobby Brown of New Edition fame and then divorced him around 2007.  Her drug habits ruined her high pitched vocals and more recent albums didn't sell very well.  She had her fans and will be missed.

Jeff Higgins from the Groove Sandwich site has put together a album called Profit Prophet and you can listen to it or buy it from this site http://jeffhiggins.bandcamp.com/album/profit-prophet  Some of the pieces that he does reminds me of the

Cannabis Sativa

by Head which was used as a background theme on the old Beaker Street program.  You can hear that version here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i7EDary8yc which is the full 17 minute version.  Not sure if Jeff would agree with me on that but sometimes I do like that as background music.  If you can't handle the full 17, how bout a 10 minute edited version? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIMcOag9_uY

1 comment:

TAD said...

Wow, Crabby scoops the news channels! Whitney Houston's death was not on CNN when I tuned-in Sat aft, so I guess I'm gonna havta get all my music news from YOU, now.
I won't miss Whitney much either, but "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" was almost good, & she did a pretty great "Star Spangled Banner" a few years back.
Still, I think anybody who dies younger than me is kind of a tragedy, so....
But are we gonna HAVTA hear "I Will Always Love You" AGAIN a whole bunch MORE times now? Sure hope not....