Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving Rah Rah-Turkey Ah A Carte

There's something wrong when we went home from our parents house and seeing the Wal Mart parking lot full on Thanksgiving Evening.  Nicole was thinking about going there at 10 to find something but decided it wouldn't be a good idea when she saw no parking space available.

Thanksgiving was like dinner at The Bickersons, Nicole tried to explain me what was going on between my parents but I shook my head and drove on.

I'm reading an article that 2011 might be the year of the Music Industry Recovery.  When CD sales only fall by 3.5 percent and vinyl sales goes up by 30 percent ya think the vinyl age has returned.  I'm sure the returns would be better if we had a music store in town instead of driving 2 and half hours to Madison.  Most of the sales were from digital downloads, this generation's version of the 45 and they can have their digital downloads.  Dave White of about.com gives his two cents worth.  http://classicrock.about.com/od/newreleases/a/2011-Year-Of-Music-Industry-Recovery.htm?nl=1

I Basically think it's a pipe dream although if I was more into downloading I'd be jumping up and down of the so called good news.  For the CD buyer, we still have another year or two to continue to buy and find but at this point maybe its best to say that I think I'm getting my fill of what's out there.  Been doing this for 25 years of the CD era and until somebody issues The Brains CD or Brownsville Station's 1977 album on CD, I won't be jumping up and down at the numbers like the -3.5 percent of cd loss.

Usually at Thanksgiving time I usually add something we call the Turkey Shoot, albums of this year that were turkeys.  Two pieces of crap stand out, one was Saga's Heads Or Tails Live to which the band does that album in its entirety but the problem was Mike Sadler wasn't lead vocalist.  And the whammy bar guitars gave me a headache.  But nothing prepared me for the suckfest that was Sin-arta, the all star hair metal tribute to Frank Sinatra that had no songs worth hearing again and may be the worst all time POS CD ever reviewed in my years of buying and reviewing music.  But nobody really heard much of that album anyway so that was a moot point.

Which leads us to the disappointments, albums that had one or two great songs but the rest forgettable, Stevie Nicks In Your Dreams (Reprise) started out with three great to good songs and then the rest kept going on and on, (Most of the songs were over four minutes) until I lost interest.   NY Dolls-Dancing Backward  In High Heals (429/Savoy)   was so uninspired, it made Buster Poindexter sound like Johnny Thunders.  Losing two members from the previous rocking albums took the rock out.  Hot Tuna-Steady As She Goes (Red House) was more acoustic blues than blues boogie and if they did rock out, it didn't stand out.

I love Nick Lowe when he was the Jesus Of Cool and with Rockpile but as a solo artist in the new decade, he's going more toward MOR pop country and That Old Magic (Yep Roc) had none of the magic of the glory years.  Lou Reed and Metallica's Lulu (WB) was something different, but it a failed something different.  The Jayhawks reunited with Mockingbird Time (Rounder) and although the harmonies were great, the songs were not so great.  Perhaps the most overrated album might be Paul Simon So Beautiful Or So What (Hear Music) to which it's was the latter for me than the former.  I guess if you want to hear great Paul Simon, Legacy/Sony has reacquired Simon's back catalog.

Outside the biggest turkey is the digiapaks that has the CD inside the mini LP jacket slot. Which includes the Pink Floyd re re remasters.  Or the freaky Chickenfoot 3 layout.  Digipaks:  The most worthless POS for CD storage.

No comments: