Monday, November 21, 2011

Radio Fuckall & You Give Love A Bad Name-More Of The Overplayed

I want to share something with you folks.  I found this little video via YouTube via Ultimate Classic Rock about a cover band trying to find some sort of reason to continue on by playing overplayed 80s hair rock.  This is the only version of You Give Love A Bad Name via London Calling.  Check it out.
http://youtu.be/wJAEu_0BqCQ

I can sympathize with him.  Playing in front of a sparse crowd and a out of tune lead singer whose lack of words to say after the guitarist does a Paul Simonsen, smash his guitar on the amp and throws it out into the floor.  Rock and roll is a loser's game Ian Hunter once sang (or wrote about it) and you have to be in it for the love of music.  Although I'm sure the guitarist would rather do his own music instead of Bon Jovi's overplayed hair classic.

Maybe the guy was listening to Mix 96.5 to which our Clear Channel owned station thought it would be wise to play You Give Love A Bad Name at the same fucking time the last three fucking nights.  I had to hear that crap in Packaging the other night and drives me insane to hear some song of 25 years ago still in regular rotation since some CC clown thinks it's a bright idea to overplay You Give Love  A Bad Name.  I used to hate that song but over time and getting Bon Jovi's Greatest Hits maybe it was a fun song to play every other year.  But with the overplayed the past three nights, my hatred of that song has returned.  No more.

Radio Fuckall, a great name for the Clear Channel owned station of 96.5 whatever the fuck they call it (WMT it used to be and used to be a muzak station, before changing the format around 1985.  Radio here is so pathetic, so cliche and so GD saturated with the same 500 songs on each and every CC and Cumulus owned station in this GD hell hole town that it really bothers the fuck out of me when I turn on the radio with my GF in tow.  Cuz she knows I'll be bitching about some overplayed piece of crap on Mix 96.5 or KDAT or KZIA 102.9, the top forty station of American Idol oversingers, bad rap and autotuner.  But then again, my rage is thrown at the so called modern rock stations of KFMW and KRNA.

First of all KRNA sucks.

If I knew that this piece of shite station was going to play AC DC Back In Black every fucking day for the 30 years after it was issued to the world, I'd never would have bought it in the first place.  At some point, they will play Hells Bells, Shoot To Thrill, Back In Black, You Shook Me All Night Long and Rock n Roll Ain't Noise Pollution at some point twice a day, every day for the past 30 years.  31 if you want to get technical. We live in a world of so much music and so much out there and all the media outlets controlled by Clear Channel or Cumulus has such a restricted playlist of the usual 500 songs.  For fun sake's I called up the KRNA doods to issue a request.  It went something to this effect.

KRNA: Hello, KRNA!
Crabby:  Am I really on the air?
KRNA:  Yes you are,  welcome to the request line, what would you like to hear?
Crabby:  Ya know I love ya guys (Bullshit) and listen to you all the time (only at work at gunpoint) and I would love it if you can play some AC/DC, I was thinking Ballbreaker.
KRNA:   Sorry bout we don't have that album, how bout some Back In Black for ya?
Crabby:  Ya know guys, I'm really kinda sick of hearing that album, how bout something else from another album?  Surprise me if you can.
KRNA:  Very well, we'll set ya up with a lost classic.  Thanks for calling.
Crabby:  Rock n Roll DOOOD!

What did they play?   Shoot To Thrill!  Off (you guessed it)  Back In Black. 

KRNA:  Request Line.
Crabby:  Dude?  Thought you weren't going to play anything off Back In Black.
KRNA:  Well you said that you want to hear a track off Back In Black.
Crabby:  Ummmmmmmm, no I seem to recall I told Y'all that to play some AC DC but not from Back In Black.  You know you could have floored me and played Whole Lotta Rosie or Go Down off Let There Be Rock, or I'd settle for Guns For Hire off Flick Of The Switch. Little variety.  Or Put The Finger On You from For Those About To Rock.  Hell, you play that song a lot I figured ya had the cd close by.
KRNA:  We're sorry but you only allow one request per week due to stations rules.  I'm sure the next AC DC song you'll dig.
Crabby:  Dude?  You're killing me.  Have a Nice Day and fuck off often please.
-click-

PS:  About two months later while being tortured to death by the crapfest of Save Yourself by Stabbing Westward or something from Staind, they actually played Put The Finger On You. 


I didn't requested it though.  The DJ made a mistake on that one.

KRNA still sucks.

2 comments:

TAD said...

Crabby: This is fuckin' hilarious. Sorry 4 yer discomfort, of course, but it's still funny. I can even stand 1 Bon Jovi song, "Wanted Dead or Alive." Course I haven't heard it 2wice a day since 1987, either....
Up here, KMTT-FM 103.7 "The Mountain" has shockingly Bcome my favorite station, tho I'm still a slut, still move the dial around a lot. But their playlist is fairly open -- stuff you know WAY TOO WELL along with new stuff & stuff you've never heard of. From Coldplay's newest (which sucks) 2 Cowboy Junkies' "Sweet Jane" & my newest fave Florence + The Machine, 2 I'm sorry 2 say summa that overwrought-emotional-girl-on-the-piano-or-guitar shit. They can't all B winners. They also play Little Steven's Underground Garage every Sun nite from 10pm-midnite my time.
Apparently they even "stream" over the Internet, whatever that means. If you're dyin you might consider trying them.
Funniest post you've written in awhile -- your frustrated comedy really comes across. More, please?

R S Crabb said...

TAD: My creative side comes and goes but as you can tell my frustration with these radio stations is obvious. I'm sure I'm going to hear it from the KRNA faithful since Google has picked this up in the KRNA Sucks search they have. KZIA is worse, I could only pick out one song between the screaming divas and the autotuned rappers out of the bunch and it was Coldplay's latest. Jeff Higgins hates them (the groove sandwich guy) a lot and though I find some of the album they did okay, it pales to their last album. Doesn't mean that I'll pay much attention to it. Somedays I don't mind a bit of that plain Yogart Music that Jeff calls it. ha ha. Cheers!