Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Top Ten Of The Week-The Rainy Season Returns

It must be that time of year again.  To which we get the typical stalled stationary fronts and trains of rainstorms that floods everything where it storms at.  I think you heard that last year at this point of Sick Of Summer.  Three years ago, there was only one road that could get me to road from here since everything else was under water.  I don't like rain, I hate thunderstorms and I loathe the 5 inch gullywashers that get water in the basement.  Too bad you folk out there in the dry west don't have to deal with this shit.  Not sure if I'd go with the dry and hot but if given a choice I'd take that over GD rain each and every day in June.

And yes, if you haven't known about it now, I do get more cranky when it rains every day in June too.

The Top Ten Of The Week:

1.  Get Across To You-Eddie & The Hot Rods 1977  Radio tortures me.  When I go into town with my GF, I am constantly pushing buttons and bitching about the same old same old on each and every Cumulus owned and operated FM stations in this God forsaking rain country.  Margaritaville again? Somewhere in this Cumulus owned radio world some station is playing Jimmy Buffet and making him more rich through royalites. And of course the last blog complained about Killer Queen twice in a half hour too, fucking radio kills me.  For the first and only time that Saturday Night Bob Dorr from KUNI came to my rescue and played this hard rocking track from the forgotten Eddie n the Hot Rods thus making me smile for about 2 minutes and 44 seconds.  God Bless You Bob.

2.  Hound Dog-Big Mama Thornton 1952  So damn primitive she may have started grunge before any of the Seattle rockers were even born.  Stripped down blues with arrangement by the great Johnny Otis, Big Mama was the female shouter answer to Big Joe Turner.   Even I was surprised this came out in the early 50's.  Had to get a kick out of Chloe as she was listening to all the doggie calls at the end of the song.

3.  Rock And Roll DJ-Clarence Clemons & The Red Bank Rockers 1983  He made Springsteen what he is today with those crazy sax solos and of course the albums and the overplayed, but his solo career never really took off all that much.  His 1983 debut featured drums up front and a gritty vocalist in J T Bowen.  Which Bowen was really needed on the 1985 Hero LP which gave The Big Man a top ten hit.  Rock And Roll DJ did get some airplay, but I thought I bought the vinyl for 2 bucks at Target if memory serves me well.

4.  Down Down-Status Quo 1974  Funny how in terms of Boogie, Foghat got more airplay whereas The Quo was more famous over the pond then over here.  Even 40 years down the road, I still enjoy the boogiesonics of The Quo or Foghat over anything by My Morning Jacket or Iron & Wine.  The Quo should have a new album ready sometime later in the year from what I heard.  Chances are they'll have it out before Aerosmith does.

5.  A Mother's Prayer-Ralph Stanley 2011  At 84, Stanley still remains Bluegrass' biggest treasures and with a new bluegrass album of old gospel favorites.  The voice is weathered and sounds like being on this planet 84 years.  Even gets me to believe that the afterlife would be worth looking forward to.  Just as long it doesn't rain every day up in the great beyond.....

6.  Friends Of Mine-The Zombies 1968   As much as I like Time Of The Season, I have to file that song in the overplayed file from our wonderful radio stations but this track is under played and remains my fave off the Odyssey & Oracle album.

7.  Nothing I Can Do About It Now-Willie Nelson 1989  From A Horse Called Music which still sells for over 10 dollars at Amazon.com, this would be his final number 1 song from the 80's.  Written by Beth Neilsen Chapman instead of the man himself.  Has that dated 80's production that used to be cutting edge back then.  As for the album Horse Called Music itself, he's done better and he's done worse.  But I do noticed lots of strings on this cd.  Which I do not care much for.

8.  Everybody Is A Star-Sly & The Family Stone 1970  Probably the last gasp feel good single before There's A Riot Going On, this did get some airplay on the radio but today I rarely hear it unless I put it on the turntable and play it myself.

9.  Excitable Boy-Warren Zevon 1979 Sometimes the things that I do................

10.  Woman Of A 1,000 Years-Fleetwood Mac 1972  Finally, Martin Rushent, the famed producer behind Future Games as well as producing the likes of The Buzzcocks, Ian Gomm, The Go Go's and Flop passed away last week so I thought I'd give him praise by adding one of the more beautiful tracks that Danny Kirwan ever wrote for The Mac.  Thinking about this also annoys me about classic rock radio and how they only play Rumours and the 1975 S/T but rarely ever go earlier before that.  You certainly don't hear any Peter Green Fleetwood Mac songs on the radio, unless it's Santana.

Birthday greetings to Drew who I thank for adding a link to this site so I can get the ratings that I do. Without him or TAD, I'd be in the 100 views only range.  Gotta give credit where credit is due ya kno?

3 comments:

drewzepmeister said...

Thanks Crabb, for the birthday wishes. I may not comment much, but I do read this blog daily...:)

R S Crabb said...

Thanks for your support still. Not too many folk comment, but I think I do get readers from your link to here ;)

TAD said...

Crabby: Martin Rushent also produced/engineered a coupla albums 4 Gentle Giant -- OCTOPUS, THREE FRIENDS, like that. Intresting resume he had....
I also get a LOTTA traffic from Drew's blog, especially lately. Whatta guy, eh...?