Friday, June 24, 2011

Observations From The Forefront-June

Imagine that, this month has blew on by.  After battling a week of back spams I can now tell you that I'm just about over them.  Just in time to mow the yard and have them flare up again.  The GF is now been down here a month and so far things are going well.  Tomorrow we're hoping that the Denver Mattress Company will finally send out the bed and sofa that was brought three weeks ago and she can now have a bed to sleep in besides the musty old couch in the basement here.  Basically I'm still trying to get used of having somebody around more than once every five months.  I'm still working out details of trying to accommodate time of being over at her places and still over at mine and trying to find a happy medium.   Things at work really took lots of time of my things to do list over at my place and still yet to find time to donate some stuff that I outgrew to listen to musicwise.  And as trying to help her move into her new place (I keep calling it Your place rather than ours simply of the fact that it's more hers than mine) whereas being worthless in terms of repairing things or doing home repair and not having a clue on what to do, no matter how many times Home Depot tries to explain it to me.

Habits are hard to break.  Certainly Nicole would love me to move right in to her, that's not going to happen and may take longer than she would like.  It goes simply down to I have way too much stuff to transfer over and even when we get her stuff in, there's not enough room for my stuff.  Which means I'll be paying storage to my brother for anything that remains behind.  And I got way too much stuff as I found out while going to the music room to fetch a box of kitchen stuff that Nicole could use more than I would.  For me, things will be moved in a piece at a time.  Plus the fact that I have still have to maintain my own place for the summer.  Certainly I'd love to have a day off and stay home for a change but gotta go over to her place tomorrow to cut grass since it hasn't been cut in a couple weeks and the Squaw Creek Management getting a bit livid over that.  Next time we hope to find a place that can do it for us and not charge 50 bucks in the process. 

It's time of year again, the fucking earwigs are out and now invading the basement this week.  Seen a few of them fucking things in the basement and never did find the time to pick up and clean up.  Chloe, her doggie, doesn't like the shop vac's loud noise when I suck up the damn bugs after drowning them in bug spray.   Hopefully, the trailer won't have to deal with the earwigs but where I'm at, the fuckers have been a pain in the ass the past 8 years.  Can't wait to open up an album and have a damn earwigs fall out in my lap.  One more thing to bitch about.  And if anybody knows me, there's no shortage of things to bitch about.

I'm still livid about missing out the big Iowa City art festival but next week, the Iowa City Jazz Festival returns.  Not too high on my list of things to see and do but I do owe myself a visit to I.C.  Since there's no big AZ trip this year, I may take a week off and then head up to Madison for the annual Summerfest in July.  Las Vegas is tempting, and Allegiant Air does have some flights as low as 88 dollars but that doesn't include the fees that they pile on, fee for check in, fee for baggage, fee for getting strip search, fee for a window seat, fee for an isle seat, fee for peanuts, fee for fee's sake.  Plus I really hate to fly anymore thanks to the security and hoarded to and from like cattle. Although seeing a one way fare of 66 dollars is really tempting the hell out of me...........(And Vegas as fares as low as 44 dollars! oh agony)

For new music this year and reissues, the major labels have done very little to entice me of buying things.  20th anniversity of Nevermind?  Pass.  Or The Paul McCartney reissues, naw.  How many times must one buy of Pink Floyd with bonus tracks to make you part with your money?  Only thing of marginal interest is the return of Jimi Hendrix In The West that Sony/Legacy is reissuing along with a box set of Live At Winterland by Hendrix.  Does the world really need an expanded edition of The Spin Doctors Pocket Full Of Kryptonite when you can get the single cd for a dollar at a garage sale?  I think not.  Rockpile Live At Montreaux might be worth getting since I have been a big Dave Edmunds/Nick Lowe fan.  Universal's ICON series are a waste of time but that hasn't stopped them from reissuing the same things from the 20th Century Masters, just slightly taking off a lesser known track and replacing it with a lesser known track is just corporate greed and adds nothing to the equation. 

Taking a look at the ratings, a good chance that this may be the most viewed month of the Crabb blogspot site and that has to do with Rock And Roll & The Brains Blog that has been over 350 views.  I've been getting lots of hits from Refzip.com.  Type in rscrabb and you'll get the latest blogs I gather.  Something new and something different but the majority of stuff still comes from TAD's site or Drew's Odds And Sods.  Never heard of Refzip till this week but they might be the wave of the future since Google can't keep up with the latest from Crabby.http://www.refzip.com/

Hard to believe we are at the halfway point of this year already.  Wonder what the second half of the year is going to be like......

2 comments:

Starman62 said...

Well, I do have to hand it to you: you are quite the survivor. Over the years you've endured floods, earwigs, toothaches, back pain, and the aftereffects of Taco Bell. But you still keep on keepin' on.

I have to agree that there's not much going on in the music front. I too have the Hendrix West Coast Seattle Boy, and I thought they did a nice job with that. I am looking forward to the release of Winterland. I've had the CD for probably 15 years or so, and I was always impressed with the performances on that particular disc. I would probably shell out for a new remaster and packaging. I know I've said it before, but I hope at least some of my CDs would go up in value someday, like the LP. It would be nice to get some kind of a return on the investment.

Paul McCartney...I guess the bottom line for me is there are way too many best of compilations, way too many live albums, etc. I catch a performance on cable once in a while on HD Net or Palladium, and although he will always be great, his age has caught up with him. His voice has weakened and isn't what it used to be, and he comes off now like an oldies act. I thought he would be done with live performance by now, but like the Stones and the Who he keeps going even though he's so far past his prime now. But I guess as long as people are willing to part with the cash, he'd probably be out there when he's 84.

R S Crabb said...

Hey Starbro, I think at this point in life we are considered survivors in anything that happens to us. The odd thing in this life is that how long I have followed the music that has been a big part of this life for 40 plus years. Alas, the major labels have done nothing to promote the artist like they used to back in the 70's and beyond so I seriously doubt of anything memorable coming out from them. In fact at the halfway point this year I really haven't heard anything that would be worth getting. But I'm sure there's no shortage of things from the past that I have yet to hear. Depends on what we find at the dollar bins in town.

For every remaster reissue there's not much return on first generation cds from Pink Floyd or Rolling Stones or Mr. McCartney. The Rolling Stones' Virgin reissues have done the trick better than the overloud Universal stuff but one can only buy the same album so many times. Certain limited edition copies from Rhino Handmade get some return back and with the departure of Gordon Anderson from Collector's Choice Music, I predict certain CDs will be worth a few (Rascals, Beau Brammels, New Christy Minstrels) and some have been selling over 50 bucks at Amazon. But the CD era is just about over and the majority won't be worth a lot but if you know what to look for and if Hastings has them in the bargain bins, you can still find bargains. Cheers!