Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Top Ten Of The Week-Gotta Get Back To The Music

Since I've been away in Michigan, I've been subject to the same five songs stuck in my head all freaking week. If I hear Train's Hey Soul Sister one more time or that idiot rapper who did Live Like Your Dying again, I'm going to go up to that GD shitty station in Detroit and barracade myself inside with my own tunes.

I didn't have a CD player with me so I'm back to make up for lost time by spinning some of them on CD player. Had the Charlatans UK and Big Country's earworms all week too. I like the songs but don't like them playing over and over and over and over all fucking week.

What did I miss? Tim Bachman being in trouble by touching a young 14 year old in the wrong way. Gin Blossoms coming out with a new album in September on 429 Records (part of Savoy Music Group BTW) Jimmy Dean passed away at age 81 and at age 88 Christopher Lee is making a heavy metal album.

And it's that time of year again. The damn rains won't stop and the earwigs are out.

1. Rocket Man-Elton John 1972 Overplayed, yes I know but I didn't change the channel when I heard it on the radio when I got off the airplane going home. I always get a kick out of Stewie Griffin's take on it when I see it on Family Guy doing it like William Shatner.

2. Get Back-Roy Head 1965 I remembered seeing the album this came from in the Salvation Army store in downtown Marion in the early 1970s and never picked it up. Found it this week at Wazoo's in Ann Arbor and although I think Scepter Records issued this album when Treat Her Right rocketed up the charts on a rival label. It may have been a cash in but Roy Head had a real rocking band (he tears it up on Roscoe Gordon's Just A Little Bit) and Head came close to be a white James Brown. A cover of Jimmy McCracklin's R and B hit.

3. I Should Have Known It-Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers 2010 ....That I was going to be disappointed in this new album from TP and company. Another album that Rolling Stone gave four stars calling it a comeback but when I heard it, I thought otherwise. Mojo, is TP's most bluesy for sure and a bit jam band but the majority of songs are slow and damn near put me to sleep except for this hard rocking number. Look, I'm rooting for Tom Petty just like y'all are, and enjoy his role of Lucky in the last season of King Of The Hill but I think I like his Mudcrutch project of last year more. That one seem to be rolling easy and done for fun. Mojo sounds pretty labored and goes on too long. A classic Tom Petty album usually last around 35 minites and has about 10 to 12 songs. A so so TP has 16 and goes over an hour. Which is why Mojo is so so.

4. What's This World Comin To-Chicago 1973 Which is better the original horn driven band of the 70's or the goopy 80's keyboard freaks ruined by David Foster? I choose the former.

5. We Sell Soul-Spades 1966 Known better as the 13th Floor Elevators this was the B side to You're Gonna Miss Me to which I haven't heard till I bought this complation called Epitaph For A Legend at Encore Recordings in Ann Arbor to which I'm guessing is a bunch of unreleased stuff from the International Artists label, which was started by Lelan Rogers, brother of one Kenny Rogers. Not sure if this is the actual 45 or a live performance. Came out on Collectibles in 1993. And the CD mastering on this sucks.

6. Kerosene-Miranda Lambert 2005 Heard this up in Hale at Big Bobs Restrauant and this song still rocks. You gotta give credit to a woman who gives co write credit to Steve Earle. Although I do wonder if hanging around Blake Shelton is going to rub off the wrong way on her. Watch out for that Hillbilly Bone.

7. We're Not In Kansas Anymore-Big Country 1993 10 years before they had a big hit with In A Big Country and hung around but never had any big hits after that. The album this is off, The Buffalo Skinners is their hardest rocking yet and perhaps getting Mike Fraser to mix this to make it sound big. Came out on Chrysalis in the UK and one the fledging Fox Records in the US.

8. Gimme Gimme Teenage Head-Primal Scream 1988 When Bobby Gillespie left the Jesus & Mary Chain in 1986 he was trying to find his own sound. The first album is Byrds like pop while the followup album "Primal Scream" was somewhere around the J&MC noise and Stooges punk rock. Their first album for Creation Records and I think this came out on Matador in the US although I have yet to find that. One of a few things bought up in Ann Arbor at Encore Records.

9. Behind Blue Eyes-The Who 1971 I love The Who and so do you.

10. Sex Bomb Baby-Flipper 1981 Punk rock's Louie Louie. Nuff said.

No comments: