Thursday, May 13, 2010

On The Subject Of....Danny Brown

The finding of Danny Brown's body in Mill Creek in Nashville closes a tragic chapter of home boy goes to big city to make it big in music only to lose his life tubing down a flooded creek. And thoughts and prayers go out to the Brown family.

There's not much going on in Springville if you been there, it's a blink and you'll miss it town. Has a post office, a bar and a restrauant and not much more downtown and two gas stations on the way out of town. If I don't feel like going to Cedar Rapids, I'll order a pizza from the local Casey's and go there instead. I don't think I have ever met Danny Brown in town but from what I have known he was a outstanding guitar player that played in garage bands around there. After completing high school, he made his way out to Nashville to make it as a session player. Unfortunly, he picked the wrong day going tubing, the day that Nashville had 18 inches of rain and watching the Cumberland River and Mill Creek go way over their banks on May 2. 10 days later, they finally found his body. More about the story and the sad ending at this website.

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/93611294.html

I'm not a movie person so I really don't care if there's a A Team movie coming out. I have all the DVD's of that show's five seasons and for pure camp you can't beat Mr. T. Maybe I'll rent it on DVD when it comes out at the end of year but don't hold your breath.

I'm sure I'll check out Shrek-the Final chapter but here's hoping they finally retire that movie. I loved the first and the second installment but the third was subpar.

I think the magic charm of Jack White is wearing off when I listen to the new Dead Weather Sea Of Cowards cd that came out tuesday. White, the last decade was the wunderkind performer that gave us The White Stripes and The Raconteurs but it seems to me that he did more when Meg White was in the band and even though White may have not been the best drummer in the world, something about the way that she played inspired Jack to work around her imperfections and made some classic albums as Icky Thump or Elephant. With Alison Mosshart doing the majority of singing, White is more content to bash away on the drums. Sea Of Cowards is much more noisier than Horehound and less melodic but then again maybe that's the purpose of The Dead Weather. They're certainly not for everybody. Maybe even not for me. I'd give it 2 and a half stars.

No comments: