Wednesday, March 3, 2010

3-3-10 Top Ten Of The Week- Food For Thought

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2010/03/02/triple-d/

I had to share this with y'all. Used to be music was the way to go, and nowadays all we like to do is to go out and eat for supper. I don't watch the Food Network all that much, my GF Nicole could tell you more about what's going on over there but it does ring true when I go bargain hunting one of the things that I love to do is eat out. Unfortunely, my guts think otherwise and if I overdo it, I have to make a way to the toilet. Sucks growing old and it all goes back to 1998, when I ate too much chinese and had to drop and blow em at the nature center and didn't have any wipes. The beginning of my decline so to speak but still, going to Davenport I have to make a stop at Cracker Barrel for some of their Chicken and dumplings platter. They also have Rudy's Tacos for good mexican food but if I feel the need to eat something quick, then it's Hardee's.

I have to agree with Bob Lefsetz that most of us can relate to the fact that most of the women that I know around here don't hang at the gym for six hours and then go veggie. That's never the case with me, in fact I perfer a chubby woman over a twig chick anyday. Can't relate to Kim Karsidian or Kate Gosselin or Octoslut. Show me your belly and I'll show you mine and we can go out for pizza for supper later. There's not much to do when you get older, at least in my case when all the pawn and thrift stores I hit don't have much to offer and going to Best Buy for new music is a waste of time. Ever seen a plus sized female country singer recently? Yeah right, they're not CMT or GAC folks, it's usually a pretty face and a stick figure. Miranda Lambert, I can relate to better, at least she has a bit of meat to the bone and so did Gretchen Wilson during her Redneck Woman days till she started losing the pounds. Maybe that's why her albums didn't sell after that. Kate Winslet in Titantic, yeah ideal type of woman; then she became skin and bone and she wasn't a good fantasy anymore. The fact remains that in life, I love a good pizza and a good Pollo Mole. I sing the praises of Marco's Pizza and the lamented Mi Casa and wish I can live in Tucson to frequent the best mexican restrauant out there El Molinito (good thing I have that place in my pictures section, can't remember shit anymore). Or Marley's out in Tempe, a great mexican buffet although the cashier is dumb as a box of rock turds. Good food, like good music is timeless and the reason why I have a 12 pack belly. But then again I have a great GF whose a good cook too so can't complain on that.

I like the comment moderations option myself. That way I get to read and approve what's related to the blogs. Always good to read them, even though they may not be on topic....

I read somewhere that John Cale says that there will never be a Velvet Underground reunion simply of the fact that Sterling Morrison isn't around and Cale basically can't get along with Lou Reed but then again that's nothing out of the ordinary. Reed has always been that cantankerous personality at times but Cale can be just as bullheaded too. After the Velvet Underground reunion of 1993, he swore he'd never work with Reed again and even on the Wrong Way Up CD with Brian Eno, Cale mentioned that Eno dominated the recordings as well. Such a shame actually since Wrong Way Up is by far the best thing Cale recorded since the Island era.

Looks like due to unforseens circumstances, the new Killing Joke album gets pushed way back to September.

Top Ten Of The Week.

1. Sister Anne-MC5 1971 These guys were never punk rock but rather a hard rocking outfit from Detroit with radical ideas and hung with John Sinclair in the infamous Kick Out The Jams album, an album that offended my dad to the point that he banned it from ever being played in the house but I hid it well. They got bounced from Elektra for being too radical and then Atlantic signed them and Jon Landau produced their tinny sounding Back In The USA album to which I still have the vinyl album. It didn't sell and the followup didn't even make the top 200 and the Motor City Five went seperate ways. When I hear High Time, I think I perfer it over Back In The USA and this may be the only recording of a hard rocking tune fading out to the Salvation Army band at the end of song. We all know damn well the new Atlantic Records would have never okayed such a thing. And so it goes.

2. Flood-Jars Of Clay 1995 Christian Rock! Arrrugh! The Jars have had a great career on Christian Radio but perhaps are noted for being one hit wonders on the alt rock scene with this Adrian Belew produced top ten single to which made me buy their Greatest Hits when I saw it used at the still open for business FYE in Moline. And then I realized I should have downloaded the single instead, or look for the CD single, or 45 but that's pushing it. The best song that Jars Of Clay ever released.

3. Have You Seen Your Mother Baby?(Standing In the Shadow)- Rolling Stones 1966 The Stones today are nothing like they were back in the late 60s. The music was darker and more strange and evil sounding and even though this may be up for discussion, I think this has to be the most strangest song that Mick and company ever came up with. The horns should like they came from Hell and how did they ever come up with that strange guitar piece at the end of song? Totality Schizo sounding and one of the best songs they ever came up with that isn't overplayed on radio.

4. Nazi Punks Fuck Off-The Dead Kennedys 1982 Not much into hardcore punk mind you but this remains one of the best 1 minite songs that Jello Biafa ever came up with. Inspiriation lyric and thought....in the Forth Reich, you'll be the first to go......unless you think. Dedicated to Glenn Beck.

5. A Man Like Me-Poco 1971 The Eagles made popular what Poco was putting down and that was high harmonies along with a good country rock beat. In fact Randy Meisner and later Tim Schmit would join The Eagles but at the time, Deliverin' was their biggest selling album and still remains in print. Shortly after this album Jim Messina left to form a duo with Kenny Loggins and Paul Cotton replaced him. Once upon a time Poco could be heard on underground rock radio but seems like classic rock radio has passed them by. Which is a shame really.

6. Drive-REM 1993 Hey Kids, Rock And Roll. Who would have thought that they would take that line from David Essex? Ya think they were trying to forget Shiny Happy People?

7. Lady Of The Lake-Starcastle 1976 A band from Illinois sounding like Yes? They actually did a pretty good job of that and they recorded their debut in the rocktopolis of the midwest, Pekin Illinois! Former REO Speedwagon lead singer Terry Luttrell did the vocals here and he could do a good Jon Anderson although nobody could hit the higher octaves like old Jon. Side Note: Starcastle did reform in the early 00's and the keyboardist was Oliver Wakeman, son of Rick Wakeman who did play in YES. Small world rock and roll is.

8. Level-Eli Young Band 2005 Alt country band making this album on the independent and sounding somewhat of a cross between Blues Traveler without the harmonica player and Sister Hazel, but with harmonies that come from Blackhawk or Lonestar, which isn't as ugly as it sounds. The guys joined up in my Twitter page as followers to which I wasn't familar with their music and therefore went to Best Buy to see what I should buy, their latest which is Jet Black & Jealous or Level to which I picked the latter. In some ways Eli Young Band remind me a lot of The Lost Trailers, a band that started out in the alt country field and then made a beeline for New Country Sound. Which is fine if you like bands that name check Ramblin Man, but as for myself if I want to hear a reference, I'll stick with the original. I'm sure the Eli Young Band will go far in terms of New Country, they got the look and the pose but for music, I'll stick with Level.

9. You Made Me Forget My Dreams-Belle & Sebastian 1997 Funny how this band's B sides sound much better than anything that's on the radio today. This is a very moody piece but toward the end, some bass feedback and a out of control disco beat box takes over and has to be heard to be believed. Later released on the Matador complation Push Barman To Open Old Wounds in 2005.

10. The Revolution Starts Now-Steve Earle 2004 Since he moved to New York and gotten married to Alison Moorer, Steve has moved into a more content groove although I liked it better when he was pissed off and rant and raving at the Bush/Cheney machine around the time they were campaigning for a second term to which we all know about the results. But in the end, like everything else, the revolution never did happen and never was televised either.

But it sounded like a good ideal at the time......

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crabby, you have to give me a list of foods you'd like me to cook for you!

TAD said...

Crabsta: Wow, nice roundup! Little bit of everything, eh?
We've gotta ALL YOU CAN EAT Chinese place just down the street from me, the China Sun Buffet -- I only go there about 2wice a yr, but on a really good nite U havta haul me outta there w/ a tow truck. Sweet&sour chicken 2 die 4! Love the broccoli chicken! OhMyGHOD the sauteed mushrooms.... Xcuse me, I gotta go warm up some chicken strips in the microwave....
...Where was I? Oh yeah: As U noted, there already was 1 VU reunion in '93 or whenever, they even gotta live album out of it. Can I ask how many VU reunions we really need?
Uh... Poco! They did some great stuff: "A Good Feelin' to Know," "Here We Go Again," "Crazy Eyes," "And Settlin' Down".... I even like "Crazy Love." But I've GOT 2 sit down w/ their Epic best-of & the 2 other early albums I've got in the house & play the danged things all the way thru. I'm not that much of a country-rock fan but keep the guitars turned-up & I'm with ya....
Hey, tasty post! But I gotta go eat.... Bon Appetite! -- TAD.

R S Crabb said...

Howdy TAD.....Got the VU live 93 album and I don't play it much. It was a document of the times. I think the only way if there's a legit VU reunion would be if Doug Yule returns but I think it is safe to say that it will never happen. Both Cale and Reed do have some ego between themselves.

Poco, I got their 2 record best of but never bought the cd since they left Railroad Days off it. They were ahead of their time, would have fitted perfectly in today's Country format although they never would write cornball crap like name checking Allman Brothers or Waylon or Johnny Cash. Radio ignores Poco outside of Heart Of The Night or Crazy Love. But I bought the Very Best Of Poco on Good Feeling To Know and You Better Think Twice.

We had some good Chinese buffets but most of them closed up. There was Buffet King where Half Priced Books is at now. And China Garden in Coralville where me and SP ate when she was down here. Buffets are the reason why i have a big spare tire in my stomach. Love good eating.

SP-Spaghetti and we'll see if Momma can give her recipe for Chili to ya. Secret ingredient: rice.

TAD said...

Crabby: Hey, 4got 2 mention (was 2 busy drooling over the food discussion), but I prefer a woman w/ some Xtra meat on her bones. The coupla skinny girls I've got10 close 2, when I put my arms around them I always Cm 2 B reaching 4 more, like "Where's the REST of U?" & I always Cm 2 think they're trying 2 get away.... Gimme a woman w/ long dark hair, 1/2 a brain & a few Xtra pounds & I'm a goner....
I've Cn those weight-loss commercials 4 NutriSystem & Jenny Craig -- in most cases, how do U NICELY tell a woman: "Babe, U looked better B4 U lost the weight...." Guess if U can't say something nice it's better 2 say nothing at all. That way U stay outta the hospital. Or court. NE advice on this? -- TAD.

R S Crabb said...

Thankfully TAD, I've been blessed with a woman that fits my idea of perfect. I find women with some meat to the bone are more fun unlike the skinny minnies out there.

I know my EX GF bout 20 years ago when I was seeing her was around 275 pounds, then she lost like half her weight, which was what she wanted but lost most of her boobs in the process. I think this was around the point that she was seeing somebody behind my back too.

I don't think there's a nicer way of telling the Jenny Craig weighlosser that she looked better before she lost all that weight. Guess y'all on yer own on that one ;)

TAD said...

Crabby: PSPS -- Hey, I liked "Shiny Happy People." But then, I never quite figured out what all the fuss was about REM NEway. I always thot they were kinda boring. & I'm still trying 2 figure out what was so great about Nirvana....
& Starcastle -- always wondered about them. With my weakness 4 Yes & Genesis & Kansas & Dixie Dregs & obscure American art-rock bands (Happy the Man, Group 87, Glass Moon, etc.), I'd probly like 'em. Havta keep my eyes open at the Goodwills & 2nd-hand stores.
Again, very good well-rounded post. Jeez, I haven't even commented on MC5 & the Stones yet. Keep it up! -- TAD.