Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Top Ten Of The Week-She Said He Said

This week, Miss Nicole Sassypassy returns with another guest star top ten of the week. As you can tell she's into country but she dips into the good country songs of yesterday and not that Carrie Underwood Divacountry that seems to be the rage.  Carrie has a brand new album out and I'm sure it's all the rage although All Music only gave it a 2 and half star rating.

In this day and age of new country, I like it as much as the new rock and roll of this era.  Which isn't saying too much although Miranda Lambert's album is the best.  I don't get on Taylor Swift's case since she's more fan friendly than above mentioned Ms. Underwood.  There seems to be a genuineness that Swift has whereas Ms. Underwood seems to lack.

Nevertheless I'm not in a great mood.  Fucking Wells Fargo continues to take 3 bucks out of my savings account and i'm bout ready to go up there with a vengence.  Fucking banks sure look out for their profits and taking three bucks out for a service charge just to make up for their loss isn't cutting it here.  So with my mind elsewhere, Nicole wanted to come in and take the load off me for this week with her selections.  Again folks, I'm looking forward for another people to guest host a top ten and if your interested, then submit one to me and I'll put it up word for word.

The crabb mailbag, the one and only Mark Prindle writes....you shouldn't be playing dipshit games anyway. Rodney - I've been unemployed for TEN GODDAMNED MONTHS. Cherish your job, because I can't get one. Don't blow it on bullshit dumbass video games.  (from a Crabb rant of not being able to get into Farmtown at home due to dialup issues and Bejeweled, a video game that is an addiction that when i play it at work, i don't work).

and what you've been waiting for, Nicole's Top Ten Of The Week (subbing for Crabby) Bring it.....

Dear Crabby,
Here's the top 10 for you. I don't care what description you give the songs at all. This is a list of what happens when you listen to a station that plays nothing but classic country songs because your either tired of some of the new stuff or you don't like it.

Anyways, enjoy.

Nicole

John Conlee - Old School
Waylon Jennings - Wulitzer Prize
Dan Seals - Bop
Charlie Pride - Is Anybody Going to San Antone (don't know if that's right or not)
Charlie McCain (sp?) - Who's Cheatin' Who (was redone by Alan Jackson and his video included NASCAR drivers)
Ronnie Milsap - Smokey Moutain Rain or the song Lost In The 50's Tonight    (surprise me)
George Jones - Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes  (I still think this song holds true because I miss some of the older singers)
Glen Campbel - Southern Nights
Eddy Arnold - Cattle Call   (later redone with LeAnn Rimes on her debut CD)
Roger Miller - Dang Me  (why don't they take a rope and hang me - at work that is.....) lol

Thank You Nicole for that fine top ten of classic country songs.


The damn My Space editor is messing me up so I'll throw my two cents worth down in the bottom.  Charly McCain is probably best known with Who's Cheatin Who, but she did some duets with Mickey Gilley in the early 80s.  I guess from some reports she was a bit of a diva and didn't like Gilley all that much and wanted more money on another duet album but Epic balked on that.

Smokey Mountain Rain was also done by the ill fated singer Mel Street who better known for the 1976 Borrowed Angel for the long forgotten GRT label.  I've seen some old Street best ofs in the cutouts for the cheapo budget Gusto label but none seem to have Borrowed Angel on it.


Charley Pride is the best selling black country singer that had a hit with Is Anybody Goin To San Antone, which was covered by the late great Doug Sahm of the Sir Douglas Quintet.

Dan Seals was once known as England Dan Seals with his 70s recordings with John Ford Coley and had top tens with I Really Love To See You Tonight and Nights Are Forever Without You.  Seals had a bigger run at the charts with Bop in 1982 which was played every night up at Skate Country and may still be.  I haven't rollerskate in years.