Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Top Ten:Insert Catchy Title Here

Going to Iowa City looking for cd bargains, I only put a quarter in for twenty minites of time.  Came back and found the meter maid paid me a visit one minite after expiration.  And Martin Daniels telling me, I've should have feed another qurater in there.  Now I had to pay five bucks to park there.  Good fucking grief.

The Top Ten.

1.  Steal My Sunshine-Len 1999  The guilty pleasure single from the guilty pleasure album that I found for three bits at HP Books.  Better than anything Fergie has put out or any of the crap ass top forty BS you hear on the radio.

2.  Wonderful WINO-George Carlin 1968  First time I actually put a comedy routine into the top ten but I liked the original routine that George did rather than the remake that you hear on the FM and AM album.  All goes to show that George had a pulse on the ways and means of radio back then.  Not as dated as you think.

3.  If I Ain't Got You-Len Price 3 2007  Last year Little Steven put out four volumes of the Coolest Songs Of The World Series, this year he's finally put out volume five.  To which I include the best garage rock band of this decade once again. 

4.  Dancing In The Ruins-Blue Oyster Cult 1986  I saw a scratched up copy of Club Ninja CD at Mr Money in Iowa City and even though I'll never see that CD again, I passed not because the CD was too scratched up, I'm sure I could have picked it up as a reference copy, I passed cuz Club Ninja sucked.  But this song was pretty good.

5.  Finding My Way-Rush 1973  RIP John Ritsey.

6.  Pray-King's X 2008  Yup they're still around and yup they still make very good records.  Reason why I bought this and not the Old 97s albums is that I can only review one digipak album per week.   And you know how much I hate digipaks.

7.  Foggy River-Don Gibson 1958  Another strange story.  Found the vinyl cover of the album this song was on called That Gibson Boy but some yahoo had the wrong damn record in there.  Second time I went up I found the vinyl record BUT somebody must have bought the album jacket thinking that record was in there.  Thankfully I found a empty Don Gibson jacket of another title but I do have That Gibson Boy on vinyl and in better shape than the Eddy Arnold Cattle Call album that had a couple scratch marks the size of the equator on one song.

8.  Soul Finger-Bar Kays 1967  Found this album at Record Collector today and all I can say is that the original Bar Kays sounded lots like Booker T and The MGs but with horns.  Rumor has it that Al Jackson may have played on this album as well as Steve Cropper or the Bar Kays played just like them. This was the only album they did for most of them parished in the Lake Monona planecrash that also took Otis Redding from us.

9.  Don't Stop The Dance-Bryan Ferry 1985  I know I should include more Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music stuff but they always keep slipping my mind.  Till I heard this song at Arby's tonight and made a mental note.  Dammed short term memory.

10. Of Thee I Sing-Leon Russell 1971  Brother Leon was on a roll in the early 70s with the Mad Dogs And Englishmen thingy with Joe Cocker and a couple early pretty good albums which kinda makes you forgive him for the Gary Lewis And The Playboys arrangements.  Even sessionmen had to make a living.  His career felled off big time around the time he went to Warner Brothers and got married and make those horrendous late 70s stuff with ex wife Mary to which Wounded Bird has reissued for your listening pleasure.  Think I pass on those, can only review so much anyway.