Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Top Ten: The Fourth Month Of The Ice Age



1.  Wishing Well-Free 1972  I like All Right Now but classic rock radio has killed it to the point that I don't need to hear it anymore unless I want to hear the drunken live version so I go with my favorite Free album called Heartbreaker.  Covered later by Blackfoot and Gary Moore.  Should have been a hit for all.

2.  First Cut Is The Deepest-Keith Hampshire 1973  Canadian singer songwriters hardly get much notice down here, unless it's Rush or Gordon Lightfoot.  A and M Records would release a single here and there from this guy but I can't recall any albums that Keith did that were in the US.  This song is a bit of bombastic Phil Spector type of production with lots of strings and horns and a choir to help out but I always like this song alot.  Never did find the single although Universal Canada put it on 20th Century Masters Comp...available in Canada only.  Later butchered by Sheryl Crow which is just about as puke inducing as Kenny G or Celine's Titantic song.

3.  Girls Like Me-Bonnie Hayes 1982  The toughest Gurl song that came out of the new wave 80s, this chick knew a good hook and had a great band backing her.  This song was featured in Valley Girl.  Wounded Bird reissued this album last year.  Have you got a copy yet?  Why not?

4.  Conversations-The Posies 2005  Due to high gas prices and cold weather, bargain hunting to Davenport and points north and east have been non existent this winter so I've been looking into my archives to see what I have missed or forgotten.  And I forgotten how good this album was from a band that was lumped in the grunge movement of the early 90s.  I do have a few more surprises in store for the next five albums.  I just hope I can fit them all although I'm sure I'll forget one or two songs for inclusion.  Short term memory, just not as good as it was say five years ago or five minutes

5.  I Like Them Big And Stupid-Julie Brown 1987   I have to tell you.  Back when MTV showed videos and had VJs and guest stars you'd like to do, I always had a secret crush on this Julie Brown and not the Downtown Julie Brown of the MTV Party scene.  Again Julie is more famous for the Homecoming Queen Has Got A Gun and Because I'm A Blond, which sadly isn't on her album Trapped In The Body Of A White Girl.  Last time I've seen Julie Brown when she played a role of a tortured teacher on the TV show Clueless, a show that I watched for a week before channel 20 replaced it with those damn infocommercials of Girls Gone Wild.

6.  Oh Josephine-The Black Crowes 2008  Just so that you know, I did review the CD and listened to it before writing my review unlike Maxim Magazine did.

7.  I Ain't Got Nuthin-New York Dolls 2006  Good thing that David Johansen decided to start rocking and quit being that annoying Buster Poindexter.  Which was as funny as Frank Constanto guy and his annoying John Madden impersonations.  But then again I don't think Will Ferrell as funny as he thinks he is either.  And the more I think about it the more I think that this decade has sucked big time.  But on the plus side I just sold The Ravonettes Lust Lust Lust to another person so at least I'll get some money back, instead of having nuthin. Digipaks don't stay long here in Crabbland.

8.  Rock With You-Tommy Conwell 1990  Remember this guy?  You don't?!? He had that big 1988 hit I'm Not Your Man but the sad part was that was the only song on that album was good, you had 11 other songs that sounded the same with same beat, chords and words.  Guitar Trouble was number two and Pete Anderson got him to play more blues and rock and varied the beat.  Had a minor hit with I'm Seventeen which would have been a perfect cover for Green Day around the time Dookie came out.  I was going to use that song but instead decided to use this track since it was pretty hard rocking.  Nevertheless, Tommy Conwell disappeared soon afterward and there have been rumours that he gained about 100 pounds and playing the blues from time to time.  Anyhoo, American Beat Records has issued Ramble/Guitar Trouble as a 2 on 1 CD.  That is IF you find it.

9.  Take Me Out-Franz Ferdinand 2004  These guys fell off the map didn't they?  Got a big hit out of this and then nobody brought the followup.  The followup was better, I prefer them over The Strokes and The Libertines myself. (pete who?)

10. Gotta Keep Running-The Godz 1978  The conclusion of this list comes from my favorite album of 1978, this band from Columbus Ohio signed on to Casablanca and got Don Brewer to produce this album.  Yeah, it's junk rock, my best friend thought it sucked but I absolutely love this album, dumb words and all.  THE GODZ ARE ROCK AND ROLL MACHINES. Oh yeah.  Somebody over Germany thought a lot of this album enough to issue it buy using a scratchy album to mastered it.  May as well have it on some form, fucking Universal ain't going to issue it anytime soon.  Sure, The Godz haven't aged well for the picky American Idol audience but I preferred them over KISS anyday (although I did have all the KISS albums as well-ah youth).