Saturday, July 17, 2021

Goodwill finds on RSD Day

What was found:

Status Quo-In The Army Now
Sex Pistols-There Is No Future
John Lennon And The Ono Plastic Band
Yello-Essential
David Grissom-Loud Music
200 Cigarettes Sound Track
Sir Douglas-Live Love
Amy Winehouse-Back To Black
Robert Earl Keen-What I Meant To Say
Lee Roy Parnell-Love Without Mercy
Prince-Purple Rain
World Leader Pretend-Punches
Jemima James-Book Me Back In Your Dreams
Dennis  Wilson-Pacific Ocean Blue
Kiki Dee-Gold

LP
The Skyliners 

What wasn't found:




Seems like folks in town are getting rid of their CD collection.  Even I have been shocked of what has been found.  The Goodwill number 2 store once again provided a lot of great music.  Somebody donated London Calling, OK Computer, Run Devil Run and other Paul McCartney CDs Jim Carroll's Catholic Boy and even XTC Black Sea but I had that one and in better shape.   Still, John Lennon's 1970 album is seldom seen at any store.  The Sex Pistols seem to not have many songs in their time together and this collection has been issued via Restless and other labels,  the book and inserts are not exactly in great shape but the CD plays fine.  As much as I had reservations about Amy Winehouse, I never seen Back To Black all that much.  200 Cigarettes, my friend Tim was looking for, but I haven't seen Tim in over five years, we used to chat with Bruce Stanley when Bruce was still alive.  The Sir Douglas CD is a Edsel import and I never see much Sir Douglas anywhere.  

The Status Quo was found at Half Price Books and Mercury in the US never bothered to issue it tho they did cop three cuts from that album on the S/T 1988 album that did come into the states but never sold. Red Skies and Rollin Home were produced by Dave Edmunds, who'd rather be down at the pub than producing, Pip Williams ended up replacing Dave on the album.  Overall, it's better than the 1988 S/T album (aka Ain't Complaining, UK Version) but then again I like the Quo.  They just never took off in America.  I may regret getting the Yello best of,  Stella is their best, Flag, the followup wasn't so great. And the David Grissom album is a curio, since David has done wonders with James McMurtry and Storyville. Mostly guitar solo stuff, tho Loud Music the song is a hoot to hear.   The Robert Earl Keen was still sealed.

Ragged Records, had a grand opening at their new Davenport location, just in time for Record Store Day, an event that I haven't paid much attention to, since the major labels tend to drop overpriced albums and curios.  If you find the new John Mayer album, it's at Wal Mart with the laughable Nice Price sticker, however the record is 23 dollars at Wally World, 11.97 on CD.  Not such a nice price since back in the 80s, it was 4.99 to start out.  Sony Music still have those CD specials going on at Big Lots.  The selections not exactly worthwhile to get. 

Still, I'm sure Moondog Music, Co Op Moline, CDs 4 Change and Wax Static had a nice turnout of record buyers.  But for this CD hunter and hoarder, every day when I go to a store is record store day and this week, I managed to find a lot more than I bargained for.  This backlog should keep me out of the junk shops for at least the weekend.   

I suppose I should have picked John Mayer's Sob Stories but it's not high on the list of things to get. Ok Human was picked instead.  But the Coralville Goodwill had a surprise, Dennis Wilson's single cd of Pacific Ocean Blue, his 1978 album that Jerry had at Relics for a couple years before anybody bought that.  I thought the 2 CD set was a bit bloated.  Picking up Purple Rain is a luxury but hell, I guess I need to hear it, just like Amy Winehouse's Back To Black. Goodwill Iowa City also had the 3 cd Kiki Dee Gold album.  I could have picked up Kid A or OK Computer once again but those CDs were a bit too scratched up for my liking.    The Skyliners' 1978 album is the old Doo Wop group with Jimmy Beaumont and friends.  I'm guessing it's a disco album but for four songs, it barely hits 25 minutes.  The Lee Roy Parnell album is probably his best studio album, he was a bit too more blues rock than country (the steel guitar doesn't deter it from being a blues album) and Jimena James album was a interesting collection of country blues folk music.  3 Songs features Mike Bloomfield, and the 64 minute playing time might be a bit too much for the majority, but there are some cool songs to them.   I may regret getting World Leader Pretend. 

No comments: