Monday, May 27, 2019

Rock and Roll and The Gold Dust Woman


Well did she made you cry
Made you break down
Shatter your illusions of love
And Is it over now
Do you know how
To pick up the pieces and go home   (Stevie Nicks-Gold Dust Woman)


Singles Going Steady Medley-Memorial Day Finds.

Dreaming-Cliff Richard (EMI America 8057)  1980  #10
Every Day I Learn A Little More About Love-John D Loudermilk (Music Is Medicine MIM 002) 1978
Love Is A Sometime Thing-Bill Anderson (Decca 732643)  1970
Who Will The Next Fool Be/Rita Mae-Jerry Lee Lewis (Elektra E-46067)  1979
Kiss The Lips Of A Fool-Rufus Lumley (RCA 47-9579)  1968
I'll Forgive You (But I Won't Forget)-Tony Pastor Jr.  (Tower  204) 1966

For some reason these songs fit the mood that I am.  Cliff Richard in 1980 had a comeback year with a couple to top ten hits with Alan Tarney from the Tarney/Spencer Band producing.  Dreaming is lightweight bubblegum pop, but I enjoyed this song over We Don't Talk Anymore.   The John Loudermilk song is ho hum including with a kiddie choir and Bill Anderson covers Jan Howard's song.  My dad has both Bill's and Jan's version.  Jerry Lee Lewis covers Charlie Rich with good intentions but the B side is Rita Mae, a Bob Dylan cover.  Jerry's 1979 Elektra album is perhaps his last shining moment in the country side of things.  And Rufus Lumley?   This was his last RCA single, and it's better than the B side, which is Vegas pop overkill.   Kinda reminds me of Tony Pastor Jr, whose single I'll Forgive You was found at the Maquoketa Goodwill a couple years ago and I thought I documented it in a previous Singles Going Steady Medley but everything has come up empty in the archives.   Therefore, I'm finally adding it to the singles that were bought.  It might be wishful thinking that I can salvage this relationship but I think I'm just wasting time and energy.

I also found a bunch of 45s from Moondog Music over the weekend and will write up a blog later on in the week.