Thursday, December 9, 2010

Ten Years Ago-St Louis Mingles Party 2000

I love to tell the story on how me and my GF met. Oh yeah you have heard it all before but each and every one of us has a different variation on it. Unfortunately memory may have erased a certain part or two but what does matter is the aftermath.

When I first got myself a computer, I usually went over to my best friends house to play on his or check out the forbidden sites. Basically my intention on the net wasn't to find a woman but rather to continue to seek out music that I couldn't get in town, back when we had at least 5 or 6 cd stores to go to but we actually signed up for two dating sites that I really didn't care that much about. One was American Singles to which at that time, was free and much more happening place to chat with the opposite sex and the other was Mingles to which I actually signed up before A.S. Let me say one thing about this, if it wasn't for the internet chances are that I'd probably be singled and still not seen anybody since breaking up with Clarice. That would have been 1998.

I actually dated a couple of folks from American Singles but after the last breakup American Singles decided to make it a pay site so I took my cheap butt over to Mingles and for the majority of the weekends I'd hang there and bullshit and chat a while. At that time Mingles had parties going on in certain areas and there was talk that there was a get together going on in St Louis in the middle of December. Not that I really wanted to go, it's too cold and too snowy but at that point we didn't have any snow on the ground and I kinda struck up conversation with somebody there and she talked me into going down there for the weekend. If I got too bored with things, I would then head out and go see what the local Wherehouse Music had for cheap stuff and maybe a few other places. And they just opened up the Chain Of Rocks Bridge after years of being dormant so I wanted to go walk across the bridge.

The original woman that I was hooking up to meet disappointed me right off the bat. Turns out that she was actually seeing somebody else who she eventually marry (and divorced a few years later). And throughout the party and the times everybody was together, I got to see a couple more meet and get married two days later (and divorced a month later and setting off a war of words via Mingles which was entertaining to read) and mostly seeing guys and girls getting drunk and having to get them back to the motel room so they don't take a wrong turn and drown in the Mississippi River not too far from where we stayed at. And there was that strange Dinner Party to which we paid about 20 bucks for a bowl of grits.

Nevertheless we all went back to the motel, whereas the party animals returned to their barhopping and boozing and some of them one nighters where I just sat and chatted with Nicole and her mom for most of that night. At that point we weren't together, she had a boyfriend and I was starting up something with some other woman. On the last night we chatted and then she and her mom returned up to Michigan where I made the five hour trip back home before the first major winter storm arrived and kept everything in white till March.

Funny how things changed. The next year saw me up in Seattle/Spokane trying to keep my relationship alive but after the infamous October week broke up with her. But me and Nicole kept in touch between more bad relationships and failures. Though platonic, she decided that last year we should make a go of it and we returned to our own little Mingles get together last September.

And still remain together. Everything has a start. And it does 10 years ago during a singles party.

It does make a good love story.

As for the other woman, well last I checked she was still on Mingles touting how much she lost a 100 pounds. But still can't keep a man.