Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Things To Do In 2009

The music has all been reviewed, the observations duly noted.  A few reminders to myself to do next year.
Review the Ashton Shephard album.  If Freedom Du Luc sez it's better than the James McMurtry album and if Miranda Lambert likes it, then perhaps it is worth a look.  But then again, I did take a listen to the songs on Amazon and though it's a nice record and worthy of praises, I just didn't see the need to rush down to Wally World before midnight to review it before the year is out.  Perhaps if I find a used copy, I'll give it the go ahead.

Take a more closer look to the recordings of Paul Kelly.  He's very big in Austrailia and a cult artist here.  I have some of his A and M albums and finding a 1998 album at Goodwill for two bucks makes me think that I'm missing a few pieces of the puzzle there. But I'm not about to blow fifty bucks on the latest import.  Which is why I didn't get to review the latest Living End album, it wasn't released in the US.

Watch a lot less Judge TV shows.  Always seems like I have been basising my day around Divorce Court, or Joe Brown or Judge Alex Ferrar.

Revisit the archives more often than I do.  I buy and buy but reserve time to listen to music less and less. And something ain't right on that equation.

Other final year thoughts to consider.

The FYE Store in Crossroads/Waterloo is closing so everything was off fifty percent.  Which meant that I got the Jesus And Mary Chain Power Of Negative Thinking box set for 30 bucks.  Which will leave Best Buy as the only place to go for new CDs and CDs Plus up there to find them used.  The pawnshops have nil for used CDs anymore.  Maybe they have gone by the way of 8 tracks.

Somebody didn't care much for Portishead 3, since I found it for two bucks at Goodwill used Monday and decided to revisit that record.  It sounds better with each new play, it sounds like a lost horror soundtrack but for some prevered reason it sounded good on the way home from Coralville.  I am also not that sure that Ray Davies last album was worth number ten on the ten best albums of this year.

The owners of the mexican restraunt in Sycamore Mall and the one in Independence are owned by the same people.  Irony at its mad best but when I was up at Indpendence last night at 7, I was the only one there.  As was Taco Time this afternoon.  I'd really like to see more people frequent Taco Time, cuz I rather not drive two and half hours to Ames for a crunchy taco.  And the manager up there is very nice,despite hearing the opposite from some disgrunted worker on break up there.

Perhaps next year I'll try to be a bit more selective in terms of finding music that nobody cares about, but I love a good two dollar bargain like y'all do.  Even in the age of downloading, I still remain impressed of what people get rid of in terms of cds and we all know that the next trip to Madison or AZ, I'll always find something that will make me go wow.  But as for you dear readers, you're free to pick and choose at your own free will.  Such is life and ain't it wonderful?

Happy new year y'all.

Replies from The Vinyl King.

 While I was doing my update to my pages I realized that my music buying has going in the toilet. I used to buy a ton of music in Reno, but this music wasteland I call Walla Walla is pathetic. Two music stores. One has a limited amount of music, and the other charges prices that you would think they were made of gold. The thrift shops have a non-existent music selection. Heck in Reno I could luck out once in awhile in a thrift shop. One place was five import Zeppelin, one place a ton of sealed or pristine Stax and Enterprise albums, and the list goes on. Most of my music has come through trades for albums I've been looking around for years.

Lizzy Williams (Liz Chaffe) says.

 Well, if you have to quit doing your Top 10 of the week so be it..so long as you still do Blogs.
I like to read them and think that you should consider a Talk Radio Show for the local musicians in the most musically populated area near to you or like a College Radio Show.
Didn't you do that once before? Like recently?
Anyway, that's all I have to say. :)


Love ya Liz!