Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Top Ten: Flood of 2008

We had eight straight days of rain.  Today another five inches of rain fell upon this area and upon a flooded Cedar Rapids.  If anybody has been in front of the tv set, you'd probaly seen it.  Words cannot describe this.  It's the power of a raging river after two weekends of 10 inches of rain have made downtown Waterloo and now Cedar Rapids a waterworld of sorts.  The railroad bridge to Penford fell into the river.  Smoekoff's on the edge of third ave and first street had furinture floating down the road.  What makes this so unbelievable is that the pillows on this couch was still intact.  Most of downtown is under water and three bridges the river has overwhelmed to the point that you can't see the bridges anymore.

I went to the Salvation Army store in Czech Village and donated some albums and tapes.  I'm sure they're floating down the river somewhere as well.  There is only one bridge over the Cedar you can use, the 380 bridge and it's down to one line both ways.  The highway 30 bridge is the other way but the Cedar is lapping at the ends.  If that gets shut down, I won't get to work anytime soon.

Right now kiddies, Crabby needs y'all to say a special prayer but not for me but for the people of this state.  I want all my friends out there to pray for us for no more rain in this area.  I've been trying to pray that for weeks, seems like I'm fighting a losing battle with that and the water in the basement.   I can't fathom to you in words what 25 feet of floodwater does, i'm a loss of words for this.   And pray that this will never happen again in our lifetime, anywhere in this world.

And pray for a better and much dryer world.

The Top Ten Of The Week but without comment

1.  After The Flood-Lone Justice 1985
2. Summer Of Your Discontent-The Townedgers 2008
3.  Gonna Take A Lotta River-Oak Ridge Boys 1988
4.  Phoenix-Dan Fogelburg 1978
5.  Not Where It's At-Del Amitri 1998
6.  Box Of Rain-Grateful Dead 1971
7.  Five Feet High And Rising-Johnny Cash 1958
8.  Riding The Storm Out-Reo Speedwagon 1973
9.  Pray-MC Hammer 1991
10. After The Rain-The Angels 1980

Comments: From Lizzy Williams  I'm praying for the you guys there. Peace much love..

Maura Page writes:
 My office is just off downtown Des Moines. We had to put our BCP in to play this week and get relocated. Which means driving to West Des Moines, and having to check into a different building, and hope I can find my computer. Half the staff is getting time off, paid. I got Wednesday off, and possibly tuesday when they move us back into our office. As long as the building did not flood when the river crests this weekend.

Otherwise, we have been pretty unaffected in our home.