Friday, March 16, 2012

Winter Is Over (?)

We had a record high of 82 today, first time we ever hit 80 in many years. I guess it's safe to say that winter is over, has been in over ten days.  Global warming has existed this year and this winter.  Don't like it this warm this time of year, but beats the alternative and we know that too well the last five winters.  So basically this winter was owed to us.  We didn't get any major snowstorms and blizzards (that might be a first although we had a couple storms that dumped 4 inches of snow) but we did get a few icestorms that iced up the road.  But nothing real major, in fact I don't think I took a snow day at work at all this year.

The big storms and tornadoes have stayed south of here, in Missouri, where a Twister tore through Branson.  I have a Aunt/Uncle that lives in Kimmerling City and despite the power getting knocked out for a couple days, they didn't have any no storm damage.  They were one of the lucky ones.  Seems like St. Louis has been getting hit with more storms the past couple years too.   Wouldn't mind going back there but picking a day or two to avoid the storms has been a challenge.

Nevertheless, the mid 70s and 82 degree days has brought out the Tulips growing and the Daffodils as well. But I'm thinking they're coming up too early,   I'm thinking that we are due for another cold spell that might wipe them out in early April.  Yes, I complain a lot but then again I'm also thankful that we have nice weather and a mild winter as well.

Here's hoping the weather stays nice.

2 comments:

TAD said...

You guys suck. Here it's in the low 40s & raining every day. It has spat snow 3 times in the last 2 weeks, always on my weekend. We had a coupla nice days early in Feb. I WANT global warming. Just not TOO warm. Stay cool!

R S Crabb said...

Hi Tad

Problem is that when we get this warm weather too early in the year, it brings out the gnats and bugs that make summers unbearable here and of course those pesky Redwing Blackbirds. I rather have the gradual 40 degree temps and cool weather myself. Makes great walking weather but won't complain too much about this ;)