Saturday, February 20, 2021

Iowa City Bargain Hunts-Dealing With Shitty Business Practices

In the era of bargain hunting after 2020, the COVID issues and practices continue to annoy this bargain hunter when he goes 100 miles round trip only to find some places allow only 4 to 5 customers.  At least the Record Collector folks let me in.  The same cannot be said for the Housewerks folks, with their 4 person limit.  Deciding to come back later, I jaunted to Money and More Pawnshop (they still have the roots and blues box set from 1994, still for 25 dollars) and came back only to have the dingbat at Housewerks looking through the window and pointed to the sign saying that they were closed.  It was 4:35 PM.  They closed at 5.   It would have taken me about 10 minutes to scour their CD section.  It's things like this that makes me boycott them in the future.

I wouldn't say it was a wasted trip.  Record Collector had the music I needed and Stuff Etc, IC, had two cds as well.  I might have considered adding more My Morning Jacket albums back for 99 cents but decided not to..  Perhaps I should have bought more from Record Collector.

Things Found:

Paul K/The Weathermen-Achilles Heel 
Paul K/The Weathermen-Love's A Gas
Carlene Carter-Hindsight 20/20
Hooker And Heat Live At The Fox Venice Theater
Lloyd Cole/Commotions-Rattlesnakes
BR549-Tangled In The Pines.

45's

You Can't Miss-Los Goledos (Atco 45-6539)  1967
There's So Little Time-Reparata (Big Tree BT 114) 1971
Wonderful Land-The Shadows (Atlantic 2146)  1960
The Relay-The Who (Track/Decca 33041) 1972
Sweet Lorraine-Uriah Heep (Mercury 73349) 1972

I didn't plan on buying anything but since they had The Shadows 45, I decided to pick up a couple more singles.  The Sweet Lorraine and Relay singles are a blessing to find but per usual 45 standards, Sweet Lorraine is edited.   The Paul K CDs have been up there, dating back when Kirk was alive and owned the store.  The Lloyd Cole Rattlesnakes album is my fave from him and I had that on CD.  I may donate it back later on.  The Carlene Carter is a best of that I wanted to check out and John Lee Hooker and Canned Heat together was blues rock fun.  The Los Goledos n Reparata singles are the oddball finds.  You Can't Miss goes well the with Muzak K mart crowd of The Maribma Baja Band, reminds me of the days of the blue light special.  B Side My Lise is pure muzak crapola.  Reparata has been around on various labels but I never heard any of it till I bought this Rupert Holmes penned There's So Little Time, the only single issued by Big Tree.  Just You is passable bubblegum pop.  Sweet Lorraine is a 3 and 20 minute edit, The Relay is the full 3:53.  It's always fun to hear the Keith Moon hootathon that is Waspman, to which the riff would be used later for In A Hand Or Face.  Somehow when that come out on the Two's Missing CD, John Entwistle was given writer's credit.  Moon is listed on the 45.

The Shadows, Wonderful land, like any of their Atlantic singles is a worth find and owes something to Duane Eddy and Jorgen Ingmann.  For a dollar, this was the find of the bunch.

Overall, the Iowa City, despite the disappointing Housewerks closing up shop earlier, was more miss than hit.  Had I not gone to Record Collector, it would have been a bust.  The Goodwill store had nothing and perhaps I should have gotten the Tool CD at Salvation Army but didn't see the need for that.  The Coralville Goodwill had a bunch of chewed up singles, the best one Handy Man from Jimmy Jones and it might have been in better shape than the one I picked up at Ragged at overinflated prices. The Coralville Stuff Etc, outside of Charlie Christian had nothing.