Wednesday, June 24, 2020

The Madison Bargain Hunts-Between The Revolution And The Riots

Emily Hamer took the photos in this blog.





I guess the monsoon at five thirty foretold a things ready to unravel as I rode out the storm having supper at Cracker Barrel and debating just to go home after a whirlwind bargain hunt, that started with sunshine but once the rains flooded the area, it was just time to go home and be glad that I did.  I usually end my trip with a walk around Lake Monona up to State Street, but as I got off a side street to go back to the Lake Monona Terrace, there was a white car blocking traffic and a few police cars. While waiting for the dumbass in front of me to either turn or go the other way, I decided to cut my losses and just go home.  I didn't tell my mom about going up there, she would had a heart attack had I did.

What I didn't know till later was  Mr. Dreadlocks aka Yesha Musa aka Devonere Johnson caused a scene downtown and got arrested and the rioters came out in waves, punched out a Democrat for trying to get to the capital to do late night work and ended up taking down two statues, the Forward one and union civil war captain, and threw the latter into Lake Monona later on.   Later, some guy got in the way of protesters and somebody threw a bike at his car and when he got out, about 50 of them pounded his face, took his wallet and phone, smashed his car windows and went into the night.   Meanwhile, had I stayed at the Mircotel, I would have to deal with some dude walking around with a gun threatening another person.

And you thought that the World Naked Bike Rides of a couple years ago were more eye opening.

With the COVID19 Virus scaring the hell out of everybody, this trip was going to be an interesting bargain hunt, trying to get to the record stores before they close.  With Mad City Music X closing at 4, I did not complete everything I was looking for, tho Dave Zero was good enough to extend closing it an extra half hour, but even with that and some old chatty old bag getting in the way, I couldn't go through all the boxes.  I knew that they had new quarter records, but my misjudging of the time, I just cherry picked a Bread 45, A Crew Cuts RCA single and A Brenda Lee 45 called Think, but didn't find Is It True?.   I'm certain it was there somewhere but maybe next time.

This trip was to focus on the thrift stores, St. Vinnys, Goodwill and what Half Price Books had in the cheap bins.  For finding CDs, I ended up getting 8 CDs but the Neil Young Homegrown album was sold out at the places I went to.   In terms of finding 45s, I found about 15, mostly country and pop and a couple of rock stuff thrown in.  The St Vinnies Grab and Go had a a bunch of moldy and beyond repair 45s of The Beatles and Ricky Nelson.   The Williamson St Vinnys had the most, but at 75 cents  I had to really sort through and leave behind the poor looking ones.  I found a better copy of It's Time To Cry from Paul Anka, not that anybody gives a fuck but Something Has Changed Me, the B side is one of my fave songs from him.  But to be honest, the 15 singles bought might be the most ho hum of the Madison bargain hunts.  Not worthy of a singles going steady list, so here they are.

It's Time To Cry-Paul Anka (ABC Paramount 45-10,064)
Pay Day-Sha Na Na (Karma Sutra KA 507)
Free To Be/Country Green-Eddy Raven (ABC Dot-DOA-17595)
Cry-The Knightsbridge Strings  (Top Rank RA-2006)
Think-Brenda Lee (Decca 31599)
The Shrine On Top Of The Hill-The Crew Cuts (RCA 47-7734)
Pass Me By (If You're Only Passing Through)-Johnny Rodriquez (Mercury 73334)
I'd Fight The World-Jim Reeves (RCA APB0-0255)
Rainy Night In Georgia-Brook Benton (Atlantic OS 13107)
I May Not Live To See Tomorrow-Brian Hyland (ABC Paramount 45-10274)
A Walk In The Black Forest-Horst Jankowski  (Mercury 72425)
I'm Right Where I Belong-Anthony Armstrong Jones (Epic 5-10970)
She Knows Me Better-Bert Somner (Buddah BDA-243)
Won't You Come Home Bill Bailey-Bobby Darin (Atco 6167)
Sing A Long Cocktail-Johnny Milton (Atco 6202)

For CDs.

Steve Earle-Ghosts Of West Virginia
Galaxie 500-Copenhagen
After The Lights Go Down Low-The Voice Of Al Hibbler
Lou Reed Live
Sergio Mendes-Four Sider
King Gizzard-Fishing For Fishes
Malcolm McLaren-Duck Rock
Black Star Riders-Heavy Fire

B Sides was not visited since when I got done, all stores closed up around 7, with the aforementioned Mad City Music X, closing at 4 30.  Perhaps I could have convinced Dave to keep it open for another hour and maybe had he known that I was from out of town.   Perhaps in the fall, we can return.  But I did spend about an hour and half sorting through the St Vinnies 45 collection.  The Mad City Music X would have taken two hours at least.

Traffic wise I did fairly well making all the green lights in Dubuque and Madison was hit and miss. But now 151 has by passed the stop lights at Fitchburg which would have taken five minutes to do their thing.  There was some construction at around Ridgeway and Baraveld but for the most part this was one of the lesser stress free drives that I had.  Gas prices were the same as down here 2:19 a gallon tho the BP on Williamson Street had it for 1.95.

A year ago, it would have been the World Naked Bike Ride had they held it last weekend but due to CONVID19 virus and civil unrest, it was postponed till next year.  I had thought about spending the night, but looking at the situation that took place downtown, I'm glad I didn't.


45 Notes:

Johnny Milton is basically that good time jazz that was popular at that time.
Bill Bailey is one of Bobby Darin's more fun pop moves with Bobby Scott doing the arrangement. This was a radio station copy WTAH, whatever that came from.  B side I'll Be There they didn't care much for, putting  a X on the title. Richard Wess arranged this, this song is better suited for Frankie Avalon or Fabian.

Beaker Street playlist 6-26-2020

9 p.m. – 10 p.m

1. Climax Blues Band “Couldn’t Get It Right (Extended ’88 Mix)”
2. Blue Oyster Cult “Fire of Unknown Origin”
3. Crosby, Stills & Nash “Dark Star”
4. Fantasy “Stoned Cowboy”
5. Grateful Dead “Sugaree” (Live- Dick’s Picks Vol. 35)
6. Humble Pie “I Don’t Need No Doctor” (Live “Performance: Rockin’ The Fillmore”)
7. J.J. Cale “Stone River”
8. Horslips “Speed The Plough”
9. Kula Shaker “Shower Your Love”
10. Jethro Tull “Dharma For One”

10 p.m. – 11 p.m.

1. The Moody Blues “Eyes Of A Child Part 1>Floating>Eyes Of A Child Part 2”
2. The Moody Blues “Eternity Road”
3. The Jimi Hendrix Experience “Castles Made of Sand”
4. The Doors “Waiting For The Sun”
5. Blind Faith “Sea of Joy”
6. Leon Russell and Don Preston “Medley: Jumpin’ Jack Flash/Young Blood” (Live- The Concert for Bangladesh)
7. Renaissance “Carpet Of The Sun” (Live)
8. Captain Beyond “Dancing Madly Backwards (On A Sea Of Air)”
9. Blue Oyster Cult “Then Came The Last Days Of May”
10. Chicago “Questions 67 & 68”
11. Chris Rea “Auberge”

11 p.m. – Midnight

1. Starcastle “To The Fire Wind”
2. Abraxas Pool “Boom Ba Ya Ya”
3. Country Joe McDonald “Holy Roller”
4. Big Brother And The Holding Company “Combination Of The Two”
5. Linn County “Fever Shot”
6. Iron Butterfly “Most Anything You Want”
7. Jon Butcher “Wishes”
8. Emerson, Lake & Powell “Touch And Go”
9. Thunderclap Newman “Something In The Air”
10. The Doobie Brothers “Dark Eyed Cajun Woman”
11. Evanescence “Anywhere”

No comments: