Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A War Of Words

Hard to believe but Memorial Day Weekend is coming up soon and it will be the official beginning of summer.  Along with the usual gas price hikes.  For vacation plans it's a choice of either Vegas or Mesa again;  I'd really would love to go back out to Seattle and visit friends there but even in supposed cheaper airfares we still would have to take about four airplanes through various cities just to get there.  Would love to head to Spokane to see if I can find Isabella's final resting place and see if the pawnshops would still have those thousands of bargain cds but it's different now then it was eight years ago.  We're older, grayer and wider than eight years ago.

I commented on an old bandmate Marvin about trying out for my best friend's band IO, but the other guys thought that with him being in Muscatine and us up here it wouldn't be their worth.  I'm also sure their song selction of Sheryl Crow and me refusal to doing her crap also figured into the decision.

The RS Bargain Hunter Network has no major road trips coming up right now since the Corsica rusted out, I have no transportation to get me to Mad City or St Louis or anywhere else so we'll keep it here for the time being.  My car mechanic has been workin on a replacement car for the past three years and I'll confer with him on the status of that car.  If not, I have to put on my bullshit boots and wade through the nearest car dealership to which they might actually give me a good deal on a newer car and maybe I can pay it off with one easy payment.  Maybe then Wells Fargo can get off my ass about updating my account.  Last time I bought a car was Old Purple and my ex picked that one out but couldn't keep up the payments so it became mine and for 220,000 miles and 12 winters has outlasted every other car I ever had.  But then again I have nothing but old junkers and rebuilt wrecks over the years.

I did managed to listen to the new Green Day 21st Century Breakdown and Steve Earle Townes CD over the past couple days though without a working car and discman, couldn't listen to them in the car.  Liked American Idiot, the new album is all over the place and goes on too long but it's a decent followup to Idiot.  Townes on the other hand is more uneven than what the reviews give it, Lungs is radical and the rest pretty much plays it as Earle covered Townes himself.  If you had to choose one of the albums I'd go with the Steve Earle simply of the fact it sounds better.  If the major labels wants to win back music buyers they should consider staying the hell away from Chris or Tom Lord Alge's IPOD sounding mixes.  Too fucking compressed and too LOUD.  Which has been the biggest problem of CDs of this decade.  Nevertheless look for Green Day to top the Billboard at number one this week.  And of course, yours truly will pick selected songs for the weekly top ten.

Finally I got a note from a cd buyer who bought the Jimmie Spheeris 1976 Ports Of The Heart CD and complained mildly about having to pay 20 bucks to have a copy.  And wondered why the price was so Goll Dang high.  I mean she did give me a passing grade (4 out of 5) as outstanding in getting the Cd to her.  It comes down to supply and demand (the usual bullshit of why gas prices fucking go up every summer) or the cd being simply hard to find since they made so many copies.  Normally, used cds go from a dollar to seven dollars (figure in the 3 bucks for shipping and handling Amazon gives us and it's like getting a new cd without all the wrapper and dogbone sticky).  OOP CDs can go as high as 50 to 100 dollars (it did at one time with Nancy and Lee's Rhino CD).   I priced it at 20 bucks becuz it was hard to find and that it has not been reissued on CD a second time around domestic or import.  There are Amazon buyers out there that will buy a cd and then turn around an jack the price up even more (I've seen a couple buyers who bought my cds and done it-right Mr. Softball?).   Since I bought the CD from a store a hour's drive from here I figured in a tank of gas just to offset the price and since I've never seen the cd before I'd priced it as that I would never come across it again.  And to make a bit of profit too, I don't deny that.  Certainly I didn't want to price it at 8 bucks, only to have a amazon record buyer snatched it out and then relist it at inflated price.  Techinally that 20 bucks is like buying it at FYE or Sam Goody.  Plus I wanted to give my cds good homes. 

People like to complain, I should know.  And their comments are duly noted.  At the same time I figure this:  People have the right to pick and choose of what they want in their music and if you really want something, you have to pay the price or wait till a cheaper cd comes along.  For 20 bucks, I'll give them a new jewel case, wrap bubble wrap around it twice and send it in the mail and hope it gets there in one piece.

But the supply and demand trick can work for them too.  All she has to do is relist it at 20 bucks on Amazon (or even more) and I'm sure somebody will come along and buy it.  I think she got a collector's item though.  I don't forsee anybody reissing Ports Of The Heart in the US anytime soon.  Jimmie Spheeris was a cult artist and the major labels don't reissue cult artists anyway.  Unless Wounded Bird or Collectors Choice Music does.  Nevertheless, keep the cd in good shape and resell it and you'll get your money back that way.
Have a good day.

Idiot.
http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2009/05/19/best-buynapster5/

Streaming might be a part of your life but I can speak for the majority of bargain hunters that phsyical product still matters.  Why the hell Bob can't see it is beyond me.
Good fucking Grief
http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2009/05/19/streaming-vs-ownership/

If I hear one more fucking thing about CDs being history IM GOING TO PUKE.  Streaming WILL be a PART of YOUR future, not MINE.  What do you do when you have fucking dialup and have no DSL in the rural areas?  YOU CANT HEAR THE FUCKING STREAMING ANYWAY. 

If I hear one more fucking thing about the real thing being history, I'll give you the finger and fart in your direction.  Why is it that there are folk that want to trumpet the end of music as we know it in favor of a virtual jukebox that is like radio if you don't want to hear the damn song.  That is why I buy 45s, albums etc.  To get to hear the music that I WANT.  Great let's us all download and not have to have product in our hands, get a new computer when it crashes and rebuy all over again. What in the MUTHERFUCK?!?

I will not be a part of the future cuz my time won't allow me to experience it full dead on before they get the kinks out and elimate cds and whatnot.  If we are so goddammed gung ho on perserving the music we grew up with, will we get to hear Neal Ford's 45s on the net?  Soul Brothers Six?  The Godz (Both ESP Disk and Casablanca?) or Neil Frederick I Belong To You?  Bill Amesbury?  The Brains?  Give me the definite answers so I can trade ALL of my music for the virtual jukebox of endless music at my fingertips.  Give me a site that I can hear ALL of The Townedgers mutherfukker and I'll sell everything and embrace this so called wave of the future.

Till then, piss off.  We're not going to get everything that is promised.  The future is bright indeed Bob.  Quit staring at the bright future, it's making you go blind.


And bob sez
 If you can hear everything you want whenever you want, why do you need to own it?

I say
Becuz the net doesn't have EVERYTHING I want to hear.   Townedgers!  Paraphernalia! Bill Amesbury!  Which is why we got to own it to hear it dumbass.  It's not all going to be out there.  Which is why the bargainhunter goes find the forgotten song.  Till then, prove me wrong.   The net will be a way of life in our next lives should we return to this cesspool we call Earth or streaming will be a way of life. 

Glad to know you're on the up and coming.  Leave me with the tried and true.