Sunday, February 1, 2009

Crabb Bits: Christgau, Kings Of Leon, Nick Lowe, Amy Bokowski

Robert Christgau is getting to be an old fuddy duddy.  I've been reading his Consumer Reports since high school which shows you how far we go back but I'm beginning to think that he's becoming more worthless as the years go on.  He listens to rap listens to world music and seems to hate rock and roll in this day and age.  Most baby boomers do now but we certainly disagree on his month outlook.    He gives GnR's Chienese Democracy a B plus, poopoos Fall out Boy (B minus-turd of the month) and gives more turds to Mudcrutch and Secret Machines and basically The Secret Machines fall under the prog rock and Christgau prog rock anyway.  He didn't like The Killers' Day and Age (I took a pass myself) or the Offspring (I think I agree with him for once this month).  But then again I disagreed with him on TV on The Radio's last album (He gave it a A, I gave it two turds), so basically it's critic vs critic this month.  Maybe Jay Reatard might be worth a look but I blew this month's allowance on jam band Tea Leaf Green's massive 3 CD album that came out last month.  Or (ahem, Mr. Christgau)  Mudcrutch Live to which I enjoyed the 14 minute version of Crystal River up till the forever ending which gave me nightmares of Bruce Springsteen extending the end of his showstoppers.  Even Paraphernalia quit doing 8 minute endings to Rocky Mountain Way.

On the subject of Kings Of Leon, I finally decided to leave it at a B minus and sold my copy and the Fleet Foxes in exchange for the SCTV DVD that I have seen for 15 bucks at Half Priced Books.  Which is why I didn't buy SCTV at full price, Shout Factory's inventory has been seeing itself into the cutout bins at HP Books or FYE.  I could have gotten brand spankin new reissues of Marshall Tucker or Johnny Guitar Watson for 8 bucks sealed.  I did buy Bill Cosby's long forgotten 1969 first season for 10 bucks and managed to get two box sets DVDs of SCTV although I passed on the one that had Martin Short.  SCTV was classic TV when they appeared on Friday nights on NBC in 1980, but once Martin Short jumped on and Rick Moranis left the show went downhill although not as down in the cesspool like Saturday Night Live of the 1990s and this decade before Tina Fey gave it new life with her Sarah Palin act. 

Nick Lowe was on Austin City Limits Saturday Night and amazing to see him go from Jesus Of Cool to a folk troubadour.  He'll be forever in my eyes, part of the best rock band of the late 70s in Rockpile with Dave Edmunds and he did a fine job reinventing some of his old songs to the folk guitar sound but he was always a bit of a folkie with Brinsley Schwartz, Britain's answer to Creedence if you think about it.  He's has not interest me since 1989's Party Of One but he did a funny version of All Men Are Liars.  He kinda looks like Fred Glynne from the Munsters era at age 60 with completely sliver but not gray hair.

I spent super bowl Sunday with Russ and Deb and we got to watch a classic game although the Cardinals lost.  But it all goes to show that Big Ben the QB may have the best QB coming out of the draft that gave us Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers.  I actually like Big Ben better than the others and although he's now won two super bowls, we all know that in college football, he never did beat the Iowa Hawkeyes ;-)

And finally my take on the Fleet Foxes album that everybody is raving about. I played it this weekend and although I like some of the harmonies and it starts out pretty good, although the comparisons have been to CSNY and Brian Wilson Pet Sounds era Beach Boys, the lead singer sound like the guy from My Morning Jacket and it's very echoery.  Good for mellowing out but then again I think if I want to hear music like this I will stick with CSNY or Pet Sounds, or  even British folk like Nick Drake or John Martyn.  The Fleet Foxes remain a B grade.

On the subject of John Martyn, as much as I like British folk music, I tended to think Martyn was a bit too eccentric for even me to appreciate him although I did pull out his Road To Ruin album, recorded with ex wife Beverley  Martyn.  It's a bit more jazzier and Beverley sings a bit more than she did on Stormbringer, the John Martyn album that I reference more often than his solo stuff.  Don't expect Universal to rush reissue John's cds, but they're still available on imports.

And finally, The superbowlsupergirl website will probably be shut down now that Amy Bokowski didn't raise enough money but she did provide some interesting blogs and kept us up to date on her search for Mr. Soulmaterightguy.  Again I don't take stock on the Mr Right/soulmate hoo ha, I find that being with Mr or Miss Right is not all going to be fun and games.  And it's not my way of  telling people what to do about love and realtionship, I'm the last source who would know.  And Miss Bokowski would ignore me anyway if I came down her way and promise an everlasting love but not an everlasting bank account.  Soulmate? Get real.  A everlasting friendship?  Perhaps.  But usually that what leads to be a soulmate, a good friend.  But then I'm better off doing top tens and giving the finger to Rush Bimboo, the Oxycondin right wing bullshotter.  It's what I do best. And I do it damn well don't cha think?

PS:  And finally, the grand total.  $6,340 was raised for Amy Bokowski's superbowl add campaign which means she was 2.4 million short but CNN Headline News did air her commerical.  Too bad I didn't see it, we don't get Headline News.  So Amy, we here at Crabb Incorporated are sad you didn't get your add on Super Bowl Sunday but here's hoping you will find Mr. Right eventually.  Probaly not me but then again, I'm not for everybody.  But I still love everybody.
 

a comment from one of y'all out there on Rush Dimbulb Superstar American.

Rush is simply an obese frustrated blowhole who hasn't seen his winkydo in over 30 years. He has however, seen Ann Coulter's many times.

Even Sarah Palin couldn't see Rush's manspam from her house if Rush was standing on her deck chowing on pork rinds.