Thursday, October 9, 2008

Mad City 2008-The Third Time Not The Charm

A few notes on Mad City 3.

The weather was perfect and the skies were blue and just in time for the foilage but the best part was seeing the harvest half moon rise over Lake Monona

I spent most of yesterday bike riding and rode around Lake Monona which meant going way over into the town of Monona and back around.  Madison has a network of bike trails that you won't believe.  I can basically ride all day to my heart's content or when my legs gave out which was the latter.  If you want to spare yourself the nightmare of nagivating through Madison, rent a bike and follow the signs on Broom and you get there.  I'm not sure of the freedom of riding alongside cars on bike designated roadways and I still enjoy the privacy of the bike trails but I saved a few cuss words just by bike riding up to State Street.  Kudos to the bike rental on Williamson to which I was spared this time of the evil fatbitch student who must have moved on to other things in life.  However, in the seven hours of bike riding, I managed to check out the beauty of Lake Monona but I didn't do too well on the big hills around town.  But I did get a good chuckle out of seeing my bike speed of 12 miles an hour, but I'm sure there were others passing me like I was standing still.

Then I went up and down the UW campus and got to see the UW Marching Band do some songs.  I was also taken by all these good looking women up and down the bike trail jogging or bike riding and wish I was twenty years younger.  Growing old sucks but I managed to find the right trail back to Lake Monona and John Nolen Drive and took the bike back.  I think I got my twenty bucks out of the rental, I could have had it till the next day but it didn't fit into the car.

However when I got to HP Books on the east side, i have a really bad leg cramp that locked my body into place after I got out of the car, I couldn't move. Eventually I did get some feeling back into my thighs and continuing doing the thing I do best.  The night got worse.  I had no fewer than 15 fucking idiots trying to hit my car or ride my bumper while I was driving down the road and then trying to turn left, I hit a goddam curve and guess what?  My fucking tire ended getting a bulge on the right side of the car.  Yup this is the third tire this year that went bad on me but the woman at the Micotel Inn suggested a space over by Sun Prairie called Weber Tires that would give me a good deal on tires. I knew I couldn't ride home on a tire with a big Zit on the whitewall, so I managed to drive the 15 minites up to this place and the told the guy of my plight so he gave me a good deal on a tire for fifty bucks.  That's Weber Tire Inc. in Sun Prairie on hwy V folks.  You can't miss it, it's the only place in town.

So I spent a very sleepless night at the Micotel with a sore body and very pissed off about another tire being ruined thanks to the dumbass drivers out in Madison and still wasn't moving very well when I went to the Old Country Buffet.  Had to, the Yummy Buffet to which I made a effort to eat when I got into town is out of business (after all we are in a depression kiddies, judging from the 679 points off Dow Jones/Wall Street) so Old Country was the target. Then I got stuck behind a couple gang banger baggy pants thug wannabees and had this Snoop Dog lookalike trying to give me a evil eye to which I shot back my patented Fuck Off look.   Again I didn't ask for the privledge of the imitation Snoop Dog wannbe in my presence so take your look away Tupuck and pull up your pants dumbass.  Go back to Chicago and do your drive by there, thank you and piss off.  And then after that, my guts gave me trouble. So much for vacation time.

Another complaint that if i can attract women like I can attract that solitary fly in the stores I would be Hugh Hefner.  Every fucking place i went to, every music store I hung out, every damn food place i ate at there was a goddam fly in my face or in my hair.  Too damn bad the fucking flies didn't hang out on Snoop Dog Lite and his cousin.  Didn't matter, place could be packed or it could be my self in the dollar bins, there'll be a buzzing fly in my ear.  I think next fucking time I should get a damn fly swatter or newspaper.  In my old age I'm getting to be very paranoid when I get flying bugs in my face.  When the sun was setting down last night I took my sunglasses off only to get a fucking bug trying to get into my eyes.  But you know you can be at the local McDonald's trying to get a McSkillet breakfast burrito and have somebody and their 3 year old wearing a grilled cheese sandwich but the fucking flies would be hanging out in my area.

I think by the time my last trip at the last Goodwill was done, I was so tired of the screaming kid to which you can hear across the room and this comfirms my reason why I perfer going there before closing time.  You rarely get that screaming brat or the brats that run up and down the aisles and momma sits there doing nothing.  It's like hurry up Crabb, check the music, and go.  You don't have the stomach to sit through a screaming baby and Momma ready to pop out another one that she can't discipline very well.  Which also plays into part why I only stayed up there one night instead of two.  Again, if I was 28 and into drinking and partying, Madison is the place to be.  I'm sure that's why my old comptuer teacher PJ Trombley was raving about it.  And she's right, if I had a choice between here and UW, I probaly would go Bucky Badger too.
I think in some ways Madison is a love hate thing.  For when I get to love it, something will make me hate it and the traffic is ridiclous.  Plus I didn't know this but they have a serial robber on the bike trails around the UW and in the last week they have something like 10 incidents.  Know your surrounding but even that you still get some Jive fuck trying to rob you.  I figure if I ever lived up there, I'd be bikeriding more often than driving a car but even the bike trails are full of riders too. 

And yup, I did find a few CDs of note and Madison remains the best place to find things. But I have fulfilled my three times of going up there this year and doubt if I will return till springtime next year.  But I think next time I'll forgo the CD bargain hunts and just go ride the bike up and down the area.  I think I enjoyed it a lot, even though I'm barely walking today.  And I did hear the new Bob Dylan Bootleg album Tell Tale Signs and I could live without it.

Again, thanks be to the HP Book Store, PrePlayed Music, Strictly Discs, Mad City Music X, Frugal Muse and Weber Tire Inc for having bargains and getting me home in one piece.

Gas prices up there are 3.49 but I did see it come down to 3.38 the next day.  However here in Iowa, it's now 3 bucks a gallon and OPEC is worried bout output so I'm sure they'll be cutting production within a week.  Not much you can do in the Great Depression Two kids but I find this time of year is perfect to go someplace.  But if nothing else, going home I had the pleasure to see the Harvest Moon light up the highway, a small consolation in a trip that was half fun and half pain in the arse.  And almost get hit about 15 times, I think the angels were working overtime to protect the car from the idiots and the fucking curb that damn near give me another tire blowout.  You think after three times that would be enough.

So I think my vacation for this year is over.  I thought bout going to the 61 Drive In next week to watch that Samuel Jackson movie and perhaps St Louis next month but I don't think I will. Last time I went to St louis, the winter was shit and the last time I went to St Louis eight years ago, the winter was shit.  We need a decent winter and not 61 inches of snow and ice.

Well back home again.  And wonder why I even left in the first place.